Creative Log Entries

When I started Geocaching just this year, I was a little intimidated by the log entry part. Went, saw, was nice location, TFTC...over and over. I got bored of writing it and couldn't imagine anyone wanting to read it. Then I found a cache dedicated to one cacher's favorite log entries by a particular cacher (wish I could remember which it was!). I read the selection of entries posted for the cache and enjoyed it a lot. "Why can't I write something more interesting like these entries?" I asked myself. Then I thought, our screen name screams adventure (or misadventure). (The name was not intended to be a vehicle for storytelling, I chose it because we love guinea pigs (cavies), and I'm going through pig withdrawal because we have none at the moment.) So I came up with a cunning plan!

Mwahhahah!

I wrote a geocaching adventure story that I spread out over four caches called LANCE AND THE CAPED CAVY CRUSADER. But as people hit the cache, and the log entries scroll down then off the page, the creative entries fade away...

So I'm inviting you all to share your favorite log entries, yours or other people's (and this is just for fun so let's keep it nice; no editorial negativity would be greatly appreciated). Here is my first effort:

LANCE AND THE CAPED CAVY CRUSADER

Chapters 1 & 2: GC1QHBK on 11/15/09 at Sleeping Beauty II

Chapters 3 & 4: GC1AQQ6 on 11/15/09 at Dinosaur Park

Chapters 5 & 6: GC1DN0X on 11/26/09 at John Marsh House

Chapter 7: GC1MPGM on 11/26/09 at Ghosts and Legends of Tracy and Beyond #2

Chapter 8: Same as above. Long part so Chapter 7 continues here and is followed by Chapter 8 in the same entry.

Be sure to check out the photos and their captions. I have fun with those, too. Often I put more than one so be sure to click the "next image" that is over the pict if you are interested in the photos

Sidekick One of the Caped Cavy Crusaders

Edited by CapedCavyCrusaders

I often like to write something unique with each log entry. One of my favorite log entries was made by another cacher on a cache not owned by me. I will withhold names but it goes something like this. Cache is a micro grab and go located in a small area with nothing more than a couple of trees and a picnic table.

"1st cache of the day early in the a.m....what a busy spot !

People picnicking - cars parked everywhere...kids flying kites...lots of dogs running about..the hot dog vendor was very busy - CHYM radio broadcasting live from here on remote.

OK - I'm lying.

THANX for the cache !"

Today I still laugh when I think of this cache and cacher. It has inspired me to write some creative logs of my own.

There is a cacher in my area that leaves some of the best logs.

Here is a random log that she has left

"So I am standing on one volcano looking at another, taking little comfort in the cache description. If the last time Mt. Hood belched out some rocks was in 1907, it seems overdue for some action here, geologically speaking that is. And just because some volcano dude says Mt. Tabor went by by permanently, doesn't make me feel any better about it being a volcano. In fact, these kind of facts used to literally keep me awake at night as a kid. Surrounded by volcanos, which may or may not erupt, and no way out!. Well, it's been a long time since I had that worry and while I didn't need the reminder, at least I found Bittsen's cache before fire and brimstone consumes Portland. And a pretty nice cache it was too. I got to GZ in the later afternoon, when the volcano had turned pale pink and the sky was fading to black. Just a few people about, as it was nose nipping cold. A nice hide, and I braved the cold to sit and watch the mountain as I signed the log and watched the light fade. A very lovely view of the mountain here, lovely as can be. I traded tiny swag. Thanks for the cache."

One of my favorite logs, written for a cache I own (I can't tell you which one):

I left Peg to watch the car while I went on the hunt. Don’t know how it happened but all of a sudden I was in some kind of a “Twilite Zone”. Way east of the cords and a swamp from hell between me and the coords. I knew that I had parked and left Peg maybe miles west but I couldn’t see that far what with the fog and all those cypress trees and vines blocking the view. Tried my cell phone but no signal. Time for survival instincts to take over, also known a panic time. While trying to collect my thoughts I heard a faint little, squeaky voice ask if I needed some help. HELP? I needed a miracle and a guide, preferably one with a canteen before I “croaked”. Well, this little green thing that looked like a talking frog hopped up close to me and said he had a small raft he could rent me but I was on my own crossing the swamp. I asked why he couldn’t guide me across and said he wouldn’t even consider crossing that swamp, his business was rental only. We finally settled on a fee (everything but my shorts and GPSR) for the raft but then that little &^%$*(&^ reminded me that I would need a paddle or I would be up that well known—( never mind, you know the rest). I had to have the paddle so there went the shorts. Crossing a metro swamp with nothing but a GPSr to hide your modesty isn’t something I recommend on a Saturday afternoon in the middle of town and a doggie park thrown in for good measure. I also found out that all those vines hanging out of the trees were not vines. I figured that out real quick when they started following me with their white mouths open for dinner. Several hours later and a little bit smarter I broke out of the fog and trees. There was “patient Peg” sitting on a nice bench wondering if I would ever return and hoping -- never mind. Well anyway I wrapped some bushy limbs around me and finished what we came for. TFTC/TN/LN/SL. And that's the truth! ;)

I couldn't really provide links to any creative and/or unique logs, because all of mine fit that description. Well, depending on your definition of creative, but definitely unique. I like to write essentially a story about the caching experience for each log, and even often have a voice recorder with me for longer trips, so that I keep notes on things easily. I think my average word length is somewhere around 500 words or so (brought down by my first few years of geocaching, where my logs were shorter... my shortest being 67 words... a DNF). Right now, I regularly run out of room in the 4000 character limit, so I usually have to cut out parts of the story ;).

Wonder if they'd consider upping it to 5000 characters...

While I always try to write something more meaningful than "TFTC", I find that the most interesting cache logs are driven by "interesting" experiences. Case in point (GCNK32 in August 2009):

I should have known as soon as I read the "hint". It's never that easy. First mistake ... heading for the nearby Silver Creek cache and then deciding, let's go for the further one first. And assuming that the blue trail we could see was the right one. NOT.

So .. detours, walking along the road in the blazing sun, MOSQUITOES, bushwacking to get back on track (finally ... the blue trail, again) .. found it (yes, it was easy but a bit damp TNLN SL).

Stop back at the Silver Creek cache ... a lovely mosquito free find ... give the puppy a drink and drive off looking for a picnic area for lunch.

Just south of Terra Cotta Conservation Area .. thump, thump, thump. Flat tire. Pullover, grassy verge. Nice neighbours who let us use their phone to call CAA. 45 minute wait.

First tow truck can't fit 4 people and a puppy. Wait for the BIG tow truck. Got it! Towed to the Mazda dealer. Now ... find a cab. But it's Caribana weekend .. they're all busy. Finally! Got one. Home, collapse.

Well, I think we'll remember that cache. Wish I'd brought my camera.

Our GPSr now has a waypoint called "flat tire".

CanadaKate

Reading these has been so much fun that it inspired Hubby and I to go out Geo Caching today, with the Caped Cavy Crusader of course. I hope it generates a new story. If not, maybe Mexico will...I'm off there soon. But I digress, I have a favorite log entry from our first cache called Halloween at Mummywale and the Rickety Railroad. This was a really easy puzzle cache, and even thought the difficulty generator helped us come up with a 3 star rating, I think it was a one, cause nobody logged a DNF. Part of the puzzle was a poem to get you to the first step of the puzzle. One of the cachers left this log, and on Halloween no less. I was SOOO tickled!

Thrice the brinded Cachers mew'd

Thrice and once the Rickety Railroad whin'd

Harpier cries: - 'tis time! 'tis time!

Round about the Cache we go:

With the Clues we do not know

That we think it may come to blows!

We were there on Night of thirty-one

All dressed for the occassion for some fun.

With Venom'd looks we found the box

But realized that time might run out on the clocks.

With cudgeled brain and numbness set

We labored on through the sunset.

Once more to the cache we went

But with cries of anguish we were near being foiled

And realized that for naught was our coil.

Then one in our midst

Had inspiration Divine and we were in bliss.

With greedy hands we inspected the cache,

Signed the logbook and traded something smashed (penny that is)

For time was expiring on this night of fun,

When goblins and witches freely run.

For now, we will slink back into the shadows,

For one more year until All Saints Hallow's

Boil, boil, toil and trouble

Fire burn and calderon bubble.

We would be remiss if we didn't thank the Cast

That made this memorable night which was quite a bash.

So thanks for the treats, the decor and fun,

But thanks most of all for the small cache run!

I have one or two more I'll try to add later from that cache.

:anibad: Happy New Year!

Sidekick One

My best one was for a micro in a tree on a 5 foot high ridge by a large hardware store. But I let my Premium lapse, so I can't read it to copy over here...

Let's see what I remember about it:

:)

Started off talking about pulling off the road and up onto the trailhead (parkinglot), seeing all the huge lifted trucks and the doubt setting in that my little RWD sports car could make it to the cache and back. Looking at the other vehicles that made it farther, I wondered if we needed 33's and a lift-kit to run this trail. With some trepidation, I eased onto the trail, wishing I could lock the hubs and wondering if I could make it without a transfer case. Then, wishing I had rock-sliders as I got as far as I could in the car, before I had to start the hike on foot. Then something about setting up base camp by the foothills before making at attack on the summit. I think I also broke out the rapelling gear to get up the tree... It was a good cache, but 2 of our Sherpa guides were lost due to the extreme conditions, their families were devastated, but consoled by the fact we got a smiley so their death was not in vain.

Park and Grab - it's all in the way you tell the story!

Edited by Double Agents

This was a really easy puzzle cache.....

OMG, having my bad poetry on the Forums may be more embarrassing than admitting how long it took for us to decode the acrostic final puzzle.

I'm a firm believer that great caches beget great log entries. The boys are already plotting for next Halloween....Thanks for the fun!

Don't know if this counts, it was posted as a FTF on the sight logs. Don't know what is in the logbook itself.

I don't geocache often but have hidden three which have gotten good reviews and I think that is what I enjoy most.

Anyway, below is the FTF entry on the site logs, it made me laugh out loud and I return to read it from time to time.

=======================================

February 15, 2009 by The OxFoxes (508 found)

This was my 300th cache find. Every single one of them have been in the vicinity of Tulsa, Oklahoma and the surrounding area.

I saw the email for the posting of the cache just as soon as it came in. I couldn't leave the house immediately, but I had decided within two minutes of seeing the email that I was going for the FTF on this one.

I left home about 5 minutes later, and raced across the Verdigris river bridge less than 10 minutes after that, headed east. I turned off of 412 to the south, but I couldn't figure out which road to take to get to the cache. It was a little bit confusing. After I had driven around for a little while, I finally just parked the car near the large 20 foot diameter culverts, since my GPS said the cache was just 2/3 mile away.

Little did I know how far 2/3 of a mile can be. Some other cachers parked next to me just as shut off my engine and gathered my stuff for the hike. I think it was team/mace, but to be honest, I was focused on going for the cache, so I didn't look very closely, taking off on the run with barely a nod. (Wow, I just discovered how sociable I am NOT.)

I floundered my way across several small runoff streams, found a way around brush piles, high-stepped my way through some pretty serious bramble patches, and walked / ran through the woods, keeping an eye on my GPSr to make sure I was moving in the right direction. Occasionally I could see a glimpse of highway 412 to the right, and after awhile I started seeing another road on the left, and soon realized it was the road I had been searching for in my car.

I came across a large body of water near the river, like a big pond, and I thought it just might block my path to the cache, but it didn't. I ran through another little ravine, and up and over a hill, and came out on the road. I found the cache hidden just a few feet off the road!

All of this took about 45 minutes from the time I saw the email to the time I had the cache in hand. I opened it up. I found a clean log book. Good! I scored the FTF. What a rush!

As I was signing the log, another gentleman pulled up in an SUV. He came on over, once he realized I was a cacher. He caches under the name of Marvelous1 (or something close to that.) We had a good chat, and after he signed the log and we rehid the cache, he gave me a ride back to my car. I could see then that the road I was looking for just looked like a private driveway from the angle I was looking at it from my car.

I took a Honda pin. I left one of those things that has a little peg board and some small circular plastic beads that you use to make a design, then use a hot iron and some wax paper to melt it slightly to make it into a picture that is one piece. I can't remember what those things are called.

Thanks for a much needed (and completely unnecessary) workout, and for a very nice cache hide! This one is my 8th FTF.

Thiswas a cache my 2 best friends put out for my 1000th find

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

We tend to get a bit silly with our log entries, another example would be this cache, I put it out for Aaronhaynes 1000th cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

Check out the picture called Guess I used too much glue.

What your seeing is a 25 pound solid chunk of concrete, I painted and taped so it looked like it had a lid, he worked on it for 10 minutes until he read on the side of it, "This is a rock decoy, it will not open"

Please enjoy these 2 caches

Hi, am back from vacation. Must put on thinking cap cause I think my Mexico finds deserve extra effort.

I must say that I have greatly enjoyed reading these.

Double Agents, I almost fell off my chair laughing at the last couple of lines!

Sorry for any embarassment, Touchstone, but I loved, loved, loved it! You are a famous poet now! :lol: But hey, my adventures of the Caped Cavy Crusaders aren't exactly high literature...I guess I'd have to crawl under the table if my editorial coworkers or writers club members ever found it! And when I said easy, I meant that it got no DNFs...It did take some people some time to do the acrostic...took my gal friend four hours to do just that part! So I'm betting you weren't the slowest!

But since I'm safe from that, you inspired me! I wrote a poem log, which I will subject you all to without guilt...at a later date!

Tulsa walk, I haven't logged a FTF yet, but I sure have gone bushwacking only to find a trail right next to the cache! I always feel quite chegrin, you can be sure. So I got a bit of wicked pleasure reading yours and knowing I wasn't alone!

Coman, neat on the gold anniversary cache...need a little more gold paint? I have extra! :lol:

Sidekick One

On a mountaintop in Mexico, I bumped into the most beautiful woman in the country. She had a microphone and a cameraman. Mirador Sierra Norte

November 14, 2007 by Viajero Perdido (1946 found)

I'm on the Mexican TV, whoa-oh

I'm on the Mexican TV...

I wish I was in old Oaxaca

Eating barbecued cucaracha

I'd keep in touch with a handy Skype phone

I'm on a cache quest far from home

I felt a cold wind on my shoulder

Hiked up the mountain, feeling older

The pretty gal from Channel 11

Made me feel I was in heaven

I'm on the Mexican TV...

A few questions, she asked so nicely

I fumbled my Spanish slightly

How do you like it, what brings you up here

I told her something that might seem weird

This GPS here, it is a game

The only reason that I came

I tried to explain in lumpy Spanish

This one's a virtual, the other vanished

I'm on the Mexican TV...

What does he say?

=====

At another cache, in the forest back home, I was feeling a bit paranoid - there were signs of homeless folks camping nearby. Urban forest

October 12, 2008 by Viajero Perdido (1946 found)

Took a look for this cache and I wandered into its place

Feelin' guilty, feelin' scared, hidden cameras everywhere!

Stop! Hold on. Stay in control.

Cache, I want to find you please

But I'm really not as cool as I'd like to be

'Cause there's a ghost, behind that tree

And there's a little yellow man behind me

And there's a true blue inside of me

That keeps stoppin' me, touchin' ya, watchin' ya, huntin' ya

Paranoia, the destroyer.

Paranoia, the destroyer.

Well I looked around, then I glanced up feelin' kinda queer

The cache peeked at me and said, Ooh you look so weird.

She said, man, there's really something wrong with you.

One day you're gonna self-destruct.

You're up, you're down, I can't work you out

You get a good streak goin' then you blow yourself out.

Silly boy ya self-destroyer. Silly boy ya self-destroyer.

Silly boy you got so much to hunt for

So much to solve for, so much to hike for

You're blowing it all with paranoia

You're so insecure you self-destroyer

(and it goes like this, here it goes)

Paranoia, the destroyer

(here it goes again)

Paranoia, the destroyer

GSAK GSAK help me please, I know you'll understand

There's an SD chip inside of me, I'm an auto-routing man

There's a map, under my hat

And there's a little green man under that

And he said, You're not goin' crazy, you're just a bit mad

Cause there's a cache in ya, gnawin' ya, tearin' ya into two.

Silly boy ya self-destroyer.

Paranoia, the destroyer

(and it goes like this.)

Okay, two more, then I'll stop.

There's a great cache that takes you to, well, not quite Mayan temples, but close. Prairie Chichén Itzá

August 15, 2008 by Viajero Perdido (1946 found)

The tropical heat hung heavily in the dank still air as the explorer hacked his way through the dense jungle. Drenched in sweat, he ignored the clouds of buzzing insects and the distant shrieks of spider monkeys as he pushed on single-mindedly toward his elusive goal: a mysterious lost temple rumored to be hidden in these unexplored lands.

It was only a few months earlier that a deranged man, who went by the improbable name of Xriva Xtabentún, stumbled into the Explorers Club speaking incredible tales of stone temples and vast hidden cities, deep in the unknown lands of the Albertican Peninsula. Few people had ever ventured there, fewer had returned. The stories struck most people present as the deluded ramblings of someone suffering the high fever of malaria (or as some surmised, syphilis), and most went back about their newspaper-rustling without giving the matter any further thought.

The explorer believed.

He had traveled many days to reach this point, now finally close to the coordinates the deranged man had given him. Along the way he'd met a colorfully-dressed tribe of natives who were performing rituals in the river, a river they called Pembiña. He made a mental note to study the local people further on a return trip. Slipping discreetly away from the amorous advances of the natives, he pushed deep into the steamy jungle, scrambling up steep slopes and swinging across deep gorges until, suddenly, a massive pyramid of stone appeared out of the mist in front of him. And another, and another. The lost temples of Prairie Chichén Itzá!

The crazy old man was on to something after all.

Slowly, carefully, the explorer made his way through the ruins, looking for the sacrificial altar and watching all the time for booby traps. A parrot screeched nearby. He jumped. Seeing a likely looking spot, he bent down and gingerly brushed away some leaves to uncover - a box! Furtively he looked over both shoulders, half-expecting a big stone ball to come rolling at him from somewhere. No, there would be no big stone ball this time.

Carefully he dusted off the lid, opened the snaps one by one, and slowly opened the mysterious box.

A bright light from within illuminated his face. He smiled broadly.

=====

Finally, from a liar's cache that I'd rather not identify:

March 3, 2007 by Viajero Perdido (1946 found)

I'm logging this from the GX as I head off for tomorrow's Illuminati meeting. On the way to the airport this morning I realized I had time for one local mission before setting off. This one had become the top priority for reasons I cannot reveal here.

Getting to GZ should've been no problem, but with today's bizarrely warm temperatures (34°!) I was starting to feel the effects of heatstroke. To make things worse, the snowpack was melting at a phenomenal rate, and the pit at GZ was half full of water. I could see the cache immediately, but the most logical option of standing in the pit and reaching up to it was out of the question.

I tried sliding halfway down the sloping log, to see if I could reach the hide from there. For traction, I left my crampon-equipped snowshoes on. However, I suspect the melting snow made the log even more slippery than usual. I slid down the log (without wanting to) until some of the barbed wire that's wrapped around it stopped me. (If you see scratch marks on the log, the lower set is from my crampons, and the upper set is from my fingernails...)

But I still couldn't reach the cache.

I pulled a length of chain out of my backpack (don't ask), wrapped it around the log a couple of times, and used that to prussik myself back up and out of the hole.

Plan B: I swapped the chain for a rope, which I wrapped around the tree that the cache is hiding under, and with the loose ends strung over my shoulder, I leaned back and rappelled a few feet to where I could reach into the root system. (As I yanked to a stop, however, I think the tree might have shifted a bit - it no longer seems to be quite upright. You may want to check on it.) From here I could easily reach the cache, sign in, and conduct a certain transaction. Mission complete!

All that took a bit longer than I expected. By the time I made it to the GA terminal, the pilots were waiting for me. But they know better than to ask...

Wow, Viajero Perdido, multi talented, lyrics and a story told in third person. I liked that, especially the one near Chitzen Itza so I nominated it in Lost & Found.

Been a little dry recently on the creativity front. Here's a limerick from the cache in OR: Antenna Forest

Went on a caching crusade

Over Hill and stones and a palisade

I went scraping and scrambling

Found the cache after much ambling

And traded a pin for much needed bandaids!

Wow, Viajero Perdido, multi talented, lyrics and a story told in third person. I liked that, especially the one near Chitzen Itza so I nominated it in Lost & Found.

Been a little dry recently on the creativity front. Here's a limerick from the cache in OR: Antenna Forest

Went on a caching crusade

Over Hill and stones and a palisade

I went scraping and scrambling

Found the cache after much ambling

And traded a pin for much needed bandaids!

June 10 by Orca! (955 found)

The night was sultry. But there was no time to enjoy it. Orders had come down from battalion headquarters; the mission, as nonsensical as this god-forsaken war. I had hand-picked my combat team. Kids who by all rights should be home going out on a date with Mary Jane from down the street or cruising the strip. Instead, they're here. To do THIS. Unbelievable. The chopper picked us up at Assembly Area Crazy Horse just outside of Forward Operating Base Bunny Ranch. (Those crazy intel guys!) It was only a 40 minute flight to just north of Phase Line Cheetah. It was a textbook insertion with a clean dispersion. SGT Ponce took point. She seemed to have mastered movement by NVG soon after getting in-country. We were locked and loaded, our senses dialed up. I wasn't sure what to expect. The enemy was all around us, blending into the indigenous population. I kept my M-4 trained on a group of young men about a click away, but these new multi-cam uniforms must've been doing their job. They never saw us. SGT Ponce signaled to me that we had arrived at our objective. I had the team cover me as I climbed up onto the raised platform. It didn't take long to locate the drop point. I accessed the secured container and left the encoded message for the Delta Force A-Teams to retrieve later. I hope it never gets to the point where we need to use it. We quickly headed back to the rally point and soon linked up with a British Special Air Service team for the extrication. Just another night in this hell-hole.

June 7 by NoaLana (19 found)

In the middle of the day after sliding down the skittles rainbow with Thing 1 and Thing 2 in tow we came upon a bridge, but before we could cross an evil Ogre (not Shrek) appeared and demanded we answer a few riddles, the first were easy but the last stumped us, maybe you can help (because Alice couldnt) - Why is a raven like a writing desk ?, While I distracted the Ogre, Thing 1 cart wheeled and Thing 2 backflipped all the way to and up the billboard, grabbed the cache, signed and replaced it and we then scurried passed the Ogre and climbed up a beanstalk, leaped to the nearest cloud and drifted away ...........onto our next adventure.

March 15, 2009 by hoolegan (1140 found)

Slickvrob, sscruiser and myself borrowed a helicopter and landed on top of GZ to get this cache. I "basejumped" 20' to the ground and signed the log, then used a sling shot to sling it back up to the others to sign. Once signed it was put back in place then things got interesting. I found a tall building to basejump back into the chopper which was magically still hovering. I swooped right in to the passenger seat avoiding the rotor blades and everything!!! *whew* TFTC! (and the fun)

August 15, 2008 by Ship2Shore (170 found)

After being carried in on a tsunami and dropped on the giant paved path referred to as number 110. I met a barbarian named Ungust who told me of a beautiful treasure nearby. I agreed to travel with him in return for escort back to the sea. He gained entry without difficulty as I stood watch. He bribed the mummy guard with a magical slate, and we were off with some of the treasure!

August 15, 2008 by Ungust (330 found)

I was on a quest across the vast open tundra of the Southbay. I chanced upon a mermaid who had been cast from the seas. It was Ship2Shore. Thus did we begin our travels and adventures together. We sought this Quest in order to add to our geocoffers. And thusly, raise our numbers. We did brave the wild and fierce creatures that inhabit the Freeway of the 110. We did cross the moat that surrounds the giant grainery storehouse and with great stealth and cunning, approached the Keep that contained the treasure that we did seek to obtain.

With Ship2Shore acting as lookout and decoy, I approached the Great Keep and gained entry to the treasury. We took that which we strived for and replaced the treasure with a small magic writing tablet and an enchanted guardian to watch over the secreted chest of riches. We replaced the chest as we had found it, and crept from the Keep. With the guards and local villagers none the wiser of our presence.

Thus, did we leave as we had come. In great stealth and confidence that we had enriched ourselves and added to the enjoyment of others.

June 27, 2008 by Belle12 (117 found)

I found this cache when I was walking my four bunnies. One was named Clark, the next one was named Snowflake, and the next one was named Fluffy, and the last one was named Princess. And I had one more that was holding my GPSr. And that bunny's name was Molly. She wanted to act like a real person, that's why she was holding my GPSr. She invited her other friend, Angel, to come with her. Also, I know her too.

My bunnies helped me make a beanstalk as tall as a building so I could see if I could find the cache. One of the bunnies went on a smaller plant and looked for it closer. They all had one power so they could look for the cache. And the bunny that was looking for the cache closer, she had the power to find the cache easier. She had really good vision. And Angel had the power to fly. And Fluffy had to power to blow herself into a balloon, Clark had the power to change colors of things, Snowflake had the power to turn herself into a snowflake, and Princess had the power to look like a princess.

TFTC

March 24, 2008 by Puppet Man (1076 found)

As I was flying around on my new dragon with Sandra Bullock, something caught my eye that didn't seem right.So I swiched gears and turned my Dragon into a submarine (a brand new feature on the 3000 models)and down we went.As we landed I found out that this new model also comes with a unicyle feature. So here I was with Sandra on my back riding my unicycle.Suddenly out of nowhere a cyclops appears and wants to battle me.That's when Sandra kicked it into gear and went totally ninja on his one eye.Well that was easy.Now onto why we landed. Upon closer inspection we find what looks like something from the 31st century.After finding out how to open it, to my surprise was the Captain's log stardate 13 of which we signed and replaced.Aw just another day in looneyville.Oh BTW I left a dragon egg there.So I hope someone takes good care of it for me!!

The above logs are all from a cache called "Larger Than Life" in which you are encouraged to tell a "tall tale" of your adventure. It's cool to see the creativity. Here is my log entry:

May 1 by do not resuscitate (1269 found)

A nice quiet place for a cache. At least that's what I thought. So, as I'm climbing this huge billboard sign a cop pulls up and demands that I come back down and wants my can of spray paint. I tell him that I don't have any paint and that I'm geocaching. He said that's bullspit and that I need to hand over the spray paint or else. So I hand him the actual cache container and he freaks out yelling "A Bomb, A Bomb!". He drops the cache and hides behind the car while calling the bomb squad. I wanted to just get in my car and leave, but decided to wait it out and see what kind of drama would ensue. The bomb squad gets there and picks up the cache and tells the cop that it's just a geocache and he's a geocacher himself. The cop tells me I can go so I signed the log and replaced the cache and got back in my car and pulled the can of spray paint out of my sock and left. What fun.

DevilHead & MommaBear

D.N.R.

This was my log from GC1WFBH "Mars" in Mesa, Arizona. It's a tricky little 3-star micro geocache that took me three days to find. Why? Read the log:

"Obviously, fellow astronauts, getting to Mars is no easy journey. I had my own epic adventure.... Starting from Earth on Wednesday, I had to avoid a car-shaped comet traveling the wrong way on the interstellar highway. Upon approaching the Martian orbit, I realized my mathematicians at NASA HQ had miscalculated the planet's trajectory, causing my DNF log as Mars remained elusive. Thursday, I recalculated the planet's wherabouts, but a minor meteor shower caused a flat tire on my rover, and I had to abort the mission to do repairs. Finally, with fresh treads and solid calculations, I finally found Mars without any further problems.

"What a great adventure! And a really nice hide... well-camoflaged!

Signed the Martian log scroll at 1020 hours. TFTC!"

The CO liked my log, and emailed me about it the next day!

Here is a creative log that we wrote when we found our 1000th cache in Key West, Fl. It is a Virtual Multi-Cache of all the places Jimmy Buffett either owned/rented or just hung out at and got drunk. Its like a pub crawl by the time you finish it. Its called "Trails of Magaritaville" GCA61D. Hope you like it. I have to give the creative Kudos to my wife Shari.

This is our 1000th find! Boy did we have fun and make an extra effort for this one. First of all, Skaryshari is a big Jimmy Buffett fan, so this was interesting and fun at the same time. We have been to some of the places, but we learned some new factoids too! We took off after work and made our way along "The avenue that's known as A1A", down to the 'Rock' (this is how some of the locals refer to Key West. Well after staying up drinking till 4 A.M. Sticks felt like "God's Own Drunk and a Fearless Man". This weekend the Songwriters were in town, "Makin' Music for Money". We got up around 10 AM to start our "Trails of Margaritaville" and pretty soon we were feeling like "Life is Just a Tire Swing", oh, the "Stories We Could Tell"! We lifted our "Tin Cup Chalices" many times that day, and later on when our heads felt like a "Volcano" was about to erupt & we weren't sure we'd "Survive" we decided Sticks should "Treat Her Like a Lady" & "Send The Old Man Home". We saw some great sites and sipped alot of "Boat Drinks" "Before the Salt", it's like I always say about JB, "Ain't He a Genius"? We were going to attempt a cache out on a spoil island, but we didn't want to get "Stranded on a Sandbar", so instead we just ate a "Cheeseburger in Paradise" and rode our bikes around the island, cause we read somewhere that "God Don't Own a Car". Well...here it is Saturday and Sticks feels like "Captain America" and says to me, "I Can't Be Your Hero Today", I am going to need your help, can you "Bend a Little" ? I said, sure "Ace", anything for a "Son of a Son of a Sailor". We wandered in tired again on Sunday "Manana", and when we woke up, I said to Sticks, "There's Nothin' Soft About Hard Times". So, "In The Shelter" of our vehicle, we were "Travelin' Clean" back home to chill with "The Hang Out Gang". Next time someone pushes my "Fool Button", maybe I'll go to the "Coast of Marseilles", but for now, I'm just "Trying to Reason With Hurricane Season". Had an absolute blast doing this one. Thanks so much!

Sticks & Skaryshari

I try to write fun logs for fun and unusual caches. Sometimes they are short because, unfortunately, there just isn't anything memorable, but I never just write "TFTC". I really enjoyed the first log to my first hidden cache, A "Grave" Situation, which was a DNF (but he did end up being the FTF):

"I arrived just as the sun was peeking over the horizon. It will still very dark. A few minutes into my search a dark rider came galloping through the cemetery! Initially it felt like a scene from a horror movie until the rider rounded the corner and I found out it was an amish girl out for a morning ride with a flashing red light on the back of her bonnet. She was probably equally shocked to see me as I was her. It truly was an only in Lancaster moment!

I searched round and round up and down for at least 45 minutes before giving up. This is a very interesting old tree... full of bug life. I think I checked every possible nook and cranny several times over but didn't end up with the find. I will be back..."

I love reading logs that tell some sort of story!

I don't normally wax poetic but I was taken with the Christmas spirit the other day picking up GC1DYN1 ("L2C Series - COPAC" by The Faerbers)....This was the result....

'Twas the morn before Christmas

Going back to the house

Not a creature was stirring

Not even a mouse

Just finished the night shift

My truck needed gas

But maybe I have time

To grab a quick cache!

My iPhone app started

I searched for "Nearby"s

I chose a prime target

And homed in on the prize

On Eden! On Fort Street!

On Ferdinand, a left!

I hope it's a Smiley

And not DNF!

On a dark, quiet corner

I came to a halt

And sprang from the truck

To begin my assault

I was happy to see

Not a muggle in sight

Just one small advantage

Of caching at night!

My iPhone was guiding

With display so merry

(I'm glad I decided

Against the BlackBerry!)

But the fence interfered

With my compass magnetic

I won't let that stop me

That would be pathetic!

So I pocket the phone

And survey the fence

Who needs GPS

When you've got Geosense?

I soon find my target

A nano, quite small

Cleverly hidden

Glad I found it at all!

I pull out the prize

From its hidden location

Without even a hint

For more information

Back to the truck

Where I sign the log book

Then return the small tube

To its secretive nook

I'm soon on my way

In the cold morning air

In hopes the next cacher

Will soon find it there

So thanks to the Faerbers

For some Christmas Eve fun

Happy Caching to all

From Chief301!

I try to leave nice logs when it is a good cache. Unfortunately, not every one is.

Here's my favorite log for one of my caches:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=389eb6b8-e88d-4ea7-b4b2-aed594abb20d

Bend your ear this way and I shall tell you the tale of the madness Six Little Spookies encountered south of Double Trouble, a fitting appelation.

It was about 10:30 when Spooky 3 and I began our Dark Journey. Spooky 2 stayed behind with the rest of the crew at the parking area, and 3 and I set off in pursuit of the Necronomicon. The paths were clear and the night was cold. Spooky 3 thought the trek was all over when we reached the creek and that we’d have to turn back, but no, off came my socks and shoes and in I went! The water was clear and only ankle deep, so she reluctantly followed. After redonning our footwear we continued.

We arrived at the start point, and the first container showed itself. We unrolled the parchment and copied the secret coordinates into our Magellan. On we went. The woods were silent except for the crackles we made moving through the underbrush. As we closed in on the coords for the second stage, the trail petered out and we were forced to bushwhack until we discovered the trail we should have taken in the first place. It led us on, but we missed the marker for the second stage. Was something messing with us as we went through the woods? How long had we been out here anyway? We doubled back, and dove off into the brush. Once again we found the cache in minutes, but this time retrieval was not so easy. Spooky 3 laughed as I played botanical proctologist for about 10 minutes.

Stage 2 in hand, we carefully copied the next set of secret coords.

And then... A shot rang out! Spooky 3 jumped, "What was that!" she said. I assured her it was just someone target shooting or something and it was a long way off. With a slightly jumpier 3 in trail, we set off in search of the 3rd stage.

The woods were working against us. The trail was barely visible, and would fade out behind trees and shadows, and a thin haze had moved into the forest. To make matters more unnerving, the gunshots continued, one every 15-20 minutes. Getting closer...

Our coords began swinging as we approached the 3rd stage GZ, and we couldn't get any closer than 40 feet. Something was definitely trying to keep us away from the Necronomicon. As we circled around, no orange showed itself, but eventually we spotted 2 pinpricks of bright light in the beams of our flashlights. Eyes! And there was another pair! This must be the trail! We charged after them. Yes! Although faint, there was a trail here! We were getting close. And then...nothing. After the second pair of eyes we could find no more. We continued down the trail for a good distance, but nothing revealed itself. Midnight was approaching. We had to get this done quickly. We went back to try again to find the third stage. Without its secret coords our journey would be for naught. We began circling again...

...And spotted something we hadn't seen before. The third stage was ours! Victory was in our grasp! We copied the secret coords and double checked them for accuracy. We didn't want to have to return again due to errors of our own making. Especially since the gunshots continued, like clockwork.....getting louder. We followed the same trail we had before, but shortly after passing the last set of eyes we turned off the trail and began wading through the underbrush. We continued on further and the eyes began appearing again. First we saw one pair, then a second. Soon we could see half a dozen shining back at us through the misty blackness. But were they all firetacks? A few of them looked kind of reddish and I could swear I saw one of them blink! The hair on the back of my neck began to prickle.

We arrived at GZ and spotted something slumped between two trees. It was a man! A victim of some unspeakable ritual. Dead. A little way off was another, and another, and in the midst of them all a grisly totem. What madness been committed here?! Suddenly the gunshot thundered again! Much closer than before! It couldn’t have been less than a hundred yards away! Spooky 3 was ready to bolt, but no! We had to find the Book first! We circled through the brush searching, while all around us things rustled through the woods. We could feel a presence closing in, but still no cache! C’mon, it’s an ammo can for goodness sake! Where could it be!

Then, I saw it. The tiniest sliver of a metal corner peeking out of concealment. We had it! The Necronomicon was ours! We rushed to the box and yanked open the latches, only to be thrown back in horror at the unearthly scream that emanated from the cache! No, not the cache, but the book itself! There it lay, bound in human skin, a face on the cover, its mouth open and shrieking! We could not take this with us! These screams of the damned would drive us mad! We would have cast it away and fled at that moment, but if we were not to take it the Book...must...be…signed! I tore open the Book and signed as the piercing wails throbbed in my ears. Our names recorded, I hastily grabbed out a TB (a bit of brain from one of the surrounding victims, no doubt) and left another one in its place (I’d call that Naughty, wouldn’t you?). I did not see the Pot O’Gold coin, but I confess my search may have been hasty. Perhaps it is there after all. Perhaps the demons took it for themselves.

We sealed the cache and rehid it as we found it and only then were the Book’s ungodly screams silenced. It was 5 minutes to midnight. Who knows what sort of unimaginable horrors had been summoned when we disturbed the Book. There was no time to waste. We had to get as far away as we could as fast as we could! We ran off into the darkness, certain that at any moment we would hear footsteps of some monstrosity pursuing after us! Fear gave wings to our feet and the journey back to the van was a blur. I can scarcely recollect removing my shoes to recross the river.

The Book’s gibbering haunted our brains all the way home.

The quality of my logs depends on the quality of the hide. I don't spend much time and don't bother to write more than simply tftc if its another pill bottle stuck to a stop sign, or film canister shoved under a lightpole skirt. I don't enjoy these types of caches. They lack any creativity and i'll go as far to say they pollute this sport.

However a good hide, containing either a good sized cache, or Particularly creativity, or a cache location that takes me somewhere unique, I try to "pay" the cache owner back with either a detailed log, or some pictures. Like anything you get back what you put into it.

My little thing I've used since 2004 when I found my first cache had been, I always sign off my logs with "cache you on the trail" I've noticed over the years several other cachers in the area also have adapted it.

Bill

From GC15XEZ, now archived 2.5/1

"A non-descript, boring and pointless cache that could be done as a cache and dash if you can find it ..."

This porcelaine throne, this septic spot,

This dearth of majesty, this seat of cars & coaches,

This other midden, never Paradise,

This fortress built of micros for themselves

Breeding infection and the scourge of film cans,

This insane breed of cacheurs, their little world,

This precious GZ set in a tarmacadam sea,

Which serves it in the office of a wall

Or as a moat defensive to a 5/5,

Against the envy of more worthy cacheurs,

This accursed cache, this micro, this film can, this pointless find.

(with apologies to Wm. Shakespeare)

I wouldn't call this one particularly creative but it is true and it still make me (us) laugh when I think of it:

[Whoops! This should be dated for 01 July 2010]

[Didn't read the cache page prior to looking for this one as it was loaded into my GPSr on the quick. Had I read it before hand I would not have made an attempt to find as one of the logs stated that someone had found the log book on the ground but no cache container, still I have to log this maintenance log for the following reason:]

While searching enthusiastically with MR. Geowyrm right at ground zero we happened to stumble upon a nice couple on the other side of the tree (gz) that were taking time to enjoy the spot and the beautiful sunshine along the riverbank for a bit of al fresco loving. Mr. Nature Lover jumped up to block our path but we didn't immediately clue in until Mrs. Nature Lover jumped up behind him and quickly pulled up her trousers. I don't think that they or we really knew what was going on but since during this awkward moment Mrs. Geowyrm informed us from the nearby path that the previous logs stated that the container was gone Mr. Geowyrm and I looked at each other with silly grins and headed back to the path.

This was a first and hopefully last for me (unless the next couple happens to be a lot less "previously enjoyed" looking...

I loved this log on a recent cache I was checking! It's very imaginative!

GC21PAF Dragon Shack

Log by Untied_Shoelaces on Jan. 22

"Found the redirector fairly quickly and logged my find and took note of the final coords! The log was a little damp, but it had not been placed back into the protective baggie, so after signing the log, I made sure to place it in the ziploc baggie and closed it up tight! Onto the final! I arrived to the GZ and looked around a bit, and didn't see anything that could be hiding a cache? So I re-read the description and realized my error! I then spotted the steely eye of the Dragon and realized I was being watched! I knew the only way I would be able to snatch the cache from the jaws of the Dragon, was to create a diversion. I directed my dog Taffy to approach the Dragon to distract his gaze so that I could quickly snatch the cache from his jaws. Ha Ha It worked!! Once I had the cache in my grasp the Dragon was angry and growled his dismay! I told him "be patient" I would return it to him once I was finished logging my find and inspecting the contents of little prehistoric dragons that it contained! Once I had finished I returned the cache to the Dragon, which he promptly hid away in his jaw. Mission Accomplished, On to the next cache! TFTH! TNLNSL"

One of the pleasures I have geocaching is writing creative logs. I figure after some one goes to all the trouble of setting one, they don't want just a TFTC. One of my favorite logs was for a cache called "Don't log this cache" and the description spoke of how the CO wasn't addicted to setting caches, he could stop anytime he wanted. So I logged:

"I woke up under a pine tree, I reached out my hand shaking for my GPSr (an iPhone.) Oh, no, where am, where's the cache? I got to my knees and started retching, then puking out longitudes and latitudes on the pine needles. I reached for my Gpsr; just one more cache; I need just one more; then I'll stop.; I swear.

The batteries were dead, drained AGAIN! I wiped the coords from my face and looked at my trembling hand with flakes of cheap camo paint. Another Taxman cache, my foggy brain thought. Must be a dang micro in a pine tree, how I hate doing them, but can't help myself.

THEN, I spotted IT but on the other side of the fence, Climb it, I must.

Crash, who needs a GPSr , I have geosense and soon was opening yet another cache to sign.

I looked at the names, there was mine 12/21/10 stretchwell. Today's date. OMG, I must have blacked out (again). I NEED HELP!. I've hit bottom.

My name is Stretchwell, I'm a Geocacher

Step 1: Admit you are powerless over the cache

GpsR, help me to accept the caches I can find, and DNF the ones I can't and give me the wisdom to know the difference"

For a particularly evil cache by a man/woman team I wrote:

"So, I sure this cache will get plenty of praise like: "fine craftsmanship" "excellent camo" "skillful hide" "inventive"

Let me tell you my view: EVIL

Yes, these CO's definitely fit somewhere on this list:

1. deformed and attend summer camp across the lake.

2. won't take off halloween mask.

3. keeps attaching knives to his gloves.

4. can invade other peoples dreams.

5. are a computer program designed to hunt down non-conformists.

6. likes anything written by Ann Rand.

7. likes anything written by Dan Brown.

8. a small doll with red hair and his bride (my #1 guess).

9. they are death incarnate and has a plan that others sometimes interfere with.

10.an ancient monsters that feeds every 23 years and whistles old songs.

Cache was exactly what I was looking for but..............well.....looking in book of excuses............"

I had a blast writing up this one from our outing yesterday. It was for the following Geocache.

GC1K3WT The Lost Cache

I typed on the computer screen, asking our friends if they had anything going on today. I mentioned Geocaching, something they had never heard of, and I suggested that we fly to the Ville of Fayette to teach them how to do it.

FLASH

Awaking after the crash, we couldn't believe where we were. We hiked for some time, finding mysterious white balls everywhere. We feared they were polar bear eggs, but lucky we didn't find any fully grown ones. There was a strange sound heard over head, but we ignored it, not thinking anything of it as we pressed forward. We traveled over the hills and through the water. Lizards scattered as we moved, and we came across a strange make shift campsite that must have been from the tail section. We foraged for what we could and then moved on. This was when things got interesting.

FLASH

I searched my pockets and realized our mistake. I had left the pen.

"We have to go back!" I screamed. "We have to go back!"

FLASH

We were attacked by a rolling green thorned smoke monster. As we tried to escape, the trees and bushes literally shook from it's power. The bald one and I decided to fight the monster once and for all, plowing through it full force. While it tried to rip us a part, we somehow managed to defeat it once and for all, but not before it deposited small mysterious creatures that attempted to suck our blood for the rest of the adventure. After defeating the smoke monster, we found our prize. A short Canadian wearing yellow spandex that was rather strange. He told us he was one of the good guys...and called us Bub. We decided to back track, thinking we made a wrong turn. The strange Canadian tried to get us to go another way, but eventually he became very helpful, and one of the cooler people on this adventure.

We escaped, finally free from this place forever. We all had a big smilie on our face with our victory.