What is the biggest cache container you've ever seen?

CircadianHour

So I was thinking about how difficult it can be to find micros, and I had another thought from the opposite end of things.

What if I were to hide a ridiculously large cache? Would I be able to achieve the same level of difficulty as a micro simply because people aren't able to see the forest through the trees?

For instance, if a geocacher arrives at a restaurant and the coords take them right to the front of the building, the typical response would be to search all around the front of that building. What if the building itself IS the cache? If somebody works up enough nerve to actually walk inside and ask about the cache, the hostess will tell them congratulations and break out a log for them to sign.

What do you think, clever or idiotic?

Has anybody ever actually found a cache like this? If not a building, then possibly an abandoned car, or a dumpster? I am curious to hear stories about the largest geocaches that are hidden in plain sight yet still go undetected.

For instance, if a geocacher arrives at a restaurant and the coords take them right to the front of the building, the typical response would be to search all around the front of that building. What if the building itself IS the cache? If somebody works up enough nerve to actually walk inside and ask about the cache, the hostess will tell them congratulations and break out a log for them to sign.

This would be agains the guidelines, therefore might not get published. However I found geocaches hidden in buildings were the interaction with a muggle was necessary or helped a lot. But both weren't in Germany....

I am curious to hear stories about the largest geocaches that are hidden in plain sight yet still go undetected.

Largest Geocaches so far? A 55 gallon barrel. And, of course, quite a lot of geocaches which are labelled "large" but are not even close to the 5 gal. / 20 Liter size.

GermanSailor

They actually can get published, with special circumstances. It cannot be commercial in nature, meaning no for profit stores. I have one at a local historical home. Since it is a non-profit organization whose purpose is to showcase a piece of civil war history and because it was they only way the Director would allow it(did not want people poking and prodding in everything) it was allowed. That one is a multi requiring you to read info signs to figure out the coords. There is a traditional at the information station of a local park. Again neither are for profit businesses. So if you can find a location like that you might have a chance.

I really like finding the big containers. It's quite a challenge to hide something big and have it remain in play (un-muggled)... I found a 5 gallon bucket cache once and decided to challenge myself to hide one also. It was really interesting coming up with a good hide for it. It has been in play now for a couple months and I've gotten some really good feedback on it.

Edited by cnrgocachen
What if the building itself IS the cache? If somebody works up enough nerve to actually walk inside and ask about the cache, the hostess will tell them congratulations and break out a log for them to sign.
I found one in a hotel in Jamaica that was just like this. I had to walk into the business office and ask for the log.

...then possibly an abandoned car
Found that one too at a cache called Dude, Where's My Car?

, or a dumpster?
Have found lots of them ON a dumpster, but never one IN and dumpster. And I hope I never do.

So I was thinking about how difficult it can be to find micros, and I had another thought from the opposite end of things.

What if I were to hide a ridiculously large cache? Would I be able to achieve the same level of difficulty as a micro simply because people aren't able to see the forest through the trees?

Has anybody ever actually found a cache like this? If not a building, then possibly an abandoned car, or a dumpster? I am curious to hear stories about the largest geocaches that are hidden in plain sight yet still go undetected.

There were two different caches I found that were the size of 30 gallon plastic tote container. One was full of 35 mm film cases and the log was hidden in one of them. The other was at a rubber band gun factory and inside the cache were free rubber band pistols.

I found a 30 gallon rubbermaid container which was like 2ft wide by 3 feet deep that was pretty big!

I found a 30 gallon rubbermaid container which was like 2ft wide by 3 feet deep that was pretty big!

I have one that I'm wanting to hide . How was it hidden ?

I read (probably in these forums) of a travel-trailer cache. IIRC the cache page described the cache as "hidden under some stones". Cachers would spend ages hunting around the travel-trailer before noticing the stones above the door and twig that the trailer itself was the cache! If this is GC1R6A7 I apologise. I'm not a premium member and so couldn't view that one.

Last saturday I found one that was a 50 gallon container full of film canister sized snap lid containers. There were about 5000 of them in there. Only one had the log though. It took an hour with two of us popping tops but we did find the logsheet.

Last saturday I found one that was a 50 gallon container full of film canister sized snap lid containers. There were about 5000 of them in there. Only one had the log though. It took an hour with two of us popping tops but we did find the logsheet.

We recently placed a new cache in Beavercreek, OH (GC27BXB), that consists of a hardside briefcase containing an assortment of containers, and props (just for effect). The theme of the cache is spy movies. In addition to the normal contents, e.g., log, tradables, etc, the container also contains a pair of binnoculars, a military-style flashight, 35mm film pulled out of the canister, and fake secret documents.

Dead Drop by the Woods

i would like to know the name of it and where it is

i would like to know the name of it and where it is

It's called Holy Macro and it's near Redland, Or

GC278ME

I'm glad you asked because, for some reason, I forgot to log it.

I found one like this once in Amarillo TX. Great food nearby too, but I didn't try the 72 oz steak. 16 oz more than enough.

We did that one too, on our way to New Mexico. That must be about a 52 quart Rubbermaid container.

Biggest container I have seen is 22 cubic meters... 777 cubic feet placed in centrum of small town. :D "placed" with permission of property owner. OK... I was "placing" = more like decorating interior of it with help from primary property user.

GC2AF81

Logbook is only A4 size ;)

We didn't find big pen :D

Many ideas still not done... Container could easily take travelbug bicycle for caching inside town...

I read (probably in these forums) of a travel-trailer cache. IIRC the cache page described the cache as "hidden under some stones". Cachers would spend ages hunting around the travel-trailer before noticing the stones above the door and twig that the trailer itself was the cache! If this is GC1R6A7 I apologise. I'm not a premium member and so couldn't view that one.

I read in the forums about this one too. It said that the swag was in the cupboards of the trailer and that people would look for a pretty long time until they noticed the pile of rocks at the front door. :signalviolin:

Edited by MR57