Oregon 300 problems

I am seriously wondering whether i have a rogue Oregon...

I have mentioned on the forum before that it sometimes doesn't load gpx files first time round. A few days ago we were off caching and i have a new PQ. I duly put it into GSAK then exported the gpx file. It then took me 6 attempts to transfer into my Oregon!

Before anyone asks I have got the latest firmware, know which folder to use etc etc. Each time it showed on my computer that the file was present. On doing a search on the Oregon for specific caches they were missing. I did a reset by holding the top left corner down when turning on. I erased user data but that didn't help either. I was surprised to see however that a previous file which I had deleted was still there.

I tried different usb sockets on the laptop then eventually the file was loaded.

Do you think i should complain to Garmin? Does any other Oregon owner have this problem and if so what is the solution?

Please.... before I jump on it!

Have you tried bypassing GSAK and copying the GPX file directly into the /Garmin/GPX folder in the Oregon? It will read it when you power it up and the caches will be displayed.

I've not bothered with the GSAK export to the Colorado, it's much easier to take the PQ straight in.

It would prove the Oregon is using the file correctly.

Chris (MrB)

Resource website for UK and Ireland Geocachers www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Not has this problem myself.

Is it an oregon thing or a gsak thing? As Chris says, might we worth dragging a few PQ's straight into the orgeon without using gsak to see if it works ok that way....

Or try using this macro to download caches directly to the oregon (it also has the advantage of allowing you to export your found and hidden caches as POI files).

We had it happen a couple of times and only noticed when we parked up to start a walk.

VERY frustrating and even took to taking the netbook with us in the backpack just in case we had to reload them again.

This hasn't happened for a while now though -touch wood- and I don't know what I did to fix it

Mark

Thank you Chris. I have just tried copying and pasting my latest local PQ of 500 caches. I also deleted everything else that was in the gpx file.

On powering it up I can only see a file for Bucks which I had 3 weeks ago and deleted days later and an old one for my area - again one that had been deleted. The one I have just copied and pasted is not there.

I also have problems turning it on sometimes - I have to disconnect the batteries then try again.

Have you tried bypassing GSAK and copying the GPX file directly into the /Garmin/GPX folder in the Oregon? It will read it when you power it up and the caches will be displayed.

I've not bothered with the GSAK export to the Colorado, it's much easier to take the PQ straight in.

It would prove the Oregon is using the file correctly.

Chris (MrB)

Resource website for UK and Ireland Geocachers www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

I have always loaded my files directly into my 300, and a couple of times they have shown on the computer as have being loaded but once powered up they haven't been present. I now always check as soon as I have loaded them, if they aren't there then I delete the one I have just put on and upload again in the exact same manner. So far (touch wood) this has worked for me.

I have always loaded my files directly into my 300, and a couple of times they have shown on the computer as have being loaded but once powered up they haven't been present. I now always check as soon as I have loaded them, if they aren't there then I delete the one I have just put on and upload again in the exact same manner. So far (touch wood) this has worked for me.

OK Oregon 400, had this problem once or twice. Only seems to be when I replace identical named files. IE Update my local caches.

The one that bugs me is the waypoint memory fills up and needs clearing regularly any suggestions. EG I Update the Caches for new area the waypoints need to be delted in the unit first. Any way I can do it in mass storage? Or choose to keep 4 or 5 personnel waypionts?

Thanks in advance

I phoned the nice man at Garmin today. He came up with suggestions that I had already tried. Oddly enough when I gave him the serial number he told me to send it back. I think maybe there was a duff batch of them.

May be a bit late to ask, now, but are you clicking the "Safely eject ..." button in the system tray before you unplug the unit? This is something you really should do after you've written to any removable media. Things mostly work OK if you don't, but not everything will work every time.

Rgds, Andy

May be a bit late to ask, now, but are you clicking the "Safely eject ..." button in the system tray before you unplug the unit? This is something you really should do after you've written to any removable media. Things mostly work OK if you don't, but not everything will work every time.

Rgds, Andy

No, I never do now, not since Vista. XP always nagged me.

Must look for the icon - good point!

I got a replacement Oregon in the post yesterday only 6 days after posting the faulty one :) . It had a refurbished sticker on it so I guess it's not brand new.

But it loaded gpx files first time. I am so glad I contacted Garmin.

If that was me and got it back with a refurbished sticker I would be wanting to know if it was the same GPS that I sent them. Otherwise they have replaced what could have been a new GPS with a used GPS.

It wasn't the same gps - I checked the serial number. But it looks as new as my other one. I must say I hoped for a new one from reading other people's experiences!

I got a replacement Oregon in the post yesterday only 6 days after posting the faulty one :) . It had a refurbished sticker on it so I guess it's not brand new.

But it loaded gpx files first time. I am so glad I contacted Garmin.

If that was me and got it back with a refurbished sticker I would be wanting to know if it was the same GPS that I sent them. Otherwise they have replaced what could have been a new GPS with a used GPS.

Interesting thread guys, especially since I am just about to buy an Oregon 300. What's your advice....buy or not! I really like the idea of paperless caching but it seems to be more hassle than it's worth.

Any advice out there?

Paper less cahcing is great, I have Garmin Oregon 400. It can have its moments but then I normally have it FULL of Maps and Geocaches so I expect it...

Do not forget you can do Paperless caching other ways...

If you have a Nokia Smart (Symbian) phone smart GPX can deal with Pocket quiries, you can still use your GPS for position and phone as a loging device...

I only had a phone for my first 300 caches do not forget the pocket pc or palm or whatever people call them, but as a all in one cache machine I do not go out my Oregon...

Interesting thread guys, especially since I am just about to buy an Oregon 300. What's your advice....buy or not! I really like the idea of paperless caching but it seems to be more hassle than it's worth.

Any advice out there?

Paper less cahcing is great, I have Garmin Oregon 400. It can have its moments but then I normally have it FULL of Maps and Geocaches so I expect it...

Do not forget you can do Paperless caching other ways...

If you have a Nokia Smart (Symbian) phone smart GPX can deal with Pocket quiries, you can still use your GPS for position and phone as a loging device...

I only had a phone for my first 300 caches do not forget the pocket pc or palm or whatever people call them, but as a all in one cache machine I do not go out my Oregon...

Famous last words, but I've never had any problems with mine.

Have just spent a caching weekend away - only for the Oregon to say there were no caches in the unit! The four waypoint PQs worked fine, the four cache PQs are there when we plug it into the computer but the unit is adament they're not. A very frustrating caching weekend as you can expect.

Will have to get my technical support (hubby) to read this all the above to see if any of it solves our problem. We certainly don't want it to happen again. :(

I have a 300 - best thing I have ever purchased ;-)

I too have had this problem so I now always check that they have uploaded. When mine wouldn't accept the GPX files I reset the device and it has been fine ever since. I think you hold the top left corner before you turn it on. There is another thread on here somewhere with the same problem and someone tells you how to reset the device.

Chris

T_S_S

I am having a most frustrating evening! After getting my replacement Oregon 300 all went well until now.

I have just tried to download a PQ of my local area about 6 times after deleting all gpx files first. All that showed were some in Scotland which I didn't put there - they must have been from the previous owner as it is a reconditioned model.

I have tried holding down the left corner of the screen and deleting all user data. These rogue caches will not delete.

I have tried downloading an individual gpx file from a cache page on gc.com. That worked OK.

But I cannot download my PQ files. I can see I will have to download each separately and phone Garmin on Monday and complain AGAIN!

I am having a most frustrating evening! After getting my replacement Oregon 300 all went well until now.

I have just tried to download a PQ of my local area about 6 times after deleting all gpx files first. All that showed were some in Scotland which I didn't put there - they must have been from the previous owner as it is a reconditioned model.

I have tried holding down the left corner of the screen and deleting all user data. These rogue caches will not delete.

I have tried downloading an individual gpx file from a cache page on gc.com. That worked OK.

But I cannot download my PQ files. I can see I will have to download each separately and phone Garmin on Monday and complain AGAIN!

Not the first time I heard this. I think there was an issue recently with some pq's showing scottish caches. Could be that its working fine, and you are just loading one of those crappy PQ's. Try running a newly generated PQ perhaps?

*ninja edit - just checked with the peeps in IRC and it seems the PQ that showed Scottish caches instead of locals was generated by a postcode search?

Edited by Ryuchan

You are right - it was a rogue PQ. I did it again and this time got what I wanted.

I didn't use a postcode, but coordinates for the search.

So it wasn't my Nuvi at fault this time. :laughing:

Not the first time I heard this. I think there was an issue recently with some pq's showing scottish caches. Could be that its working fine, and you are just loading one of those crappy PQ's. Try running a newly generated PQ perhaps?

*ninja edit - just checked with the peeps in IRC and it seems the PQ that showed Scottish caches instead of locals was generated by a postcode search?