State only search

Tank and Spaz

I was wondering, if there is an option to do state only searches. IE, I want to locate all the caches in Oklahoma that are virtual or earthcaches. No I do not desire to run a query, that will take me into other states, but would like an option to just select the state I am visiting, then select the cache type I am looking for.

Some of us are working on a caching game, but a rule is it has to stay inside our state, and you can only have so many of each cache. Would be nice to narrow it down for people....

Just a thought!

Yup I usually select 4 or 6 widely separated points of "corners" of the state and restrict to only the state. Heck,if you wanted to you could use the Boston common as a start point and restrict the search to only caches in California. It will pick the 500 nearest the center point that meet the filter criteria.

While I personally use pocket queries for this, some people may find it easier to use the Advanced Search Page. This is the one place on the site where someone (especially a basic member) can do a quick search for a single cache type (multicache, event cache, etc.) with a defined starting point (such as postal code or a set of coordinates), or which fit a defined parameter (such as being within State X, or being hidden by Cacher Y, etc.).

While I personally use pocket queries for this, some people may find it easier to use the Advanced Search Page. This is the one place on the site where someone (especially a basic member) can do a quick search for a single cache type (multicache, event cache, etc.) with a defined starting point (such as postal code or a set of coordinates), or which fit a defined parameter (such as being within State X, or being hidden by Cacher Y, etc.).

Kinda sad that premium members can't get a pq of 'hidden by'. Wonder why that is not a capability?

Edited by Team Cotati

If non-premium members go to http://www.geocaching.com/seek/ and choose the state where it says "by State (US only)" - they'll get a list of the caches in that state in chonological order.

Of course that doesn't help much with a state like Texas. "Texas" is a pretty big state, and you'd have to go more than

..120 miles from San Antonio before you hit Mexico. There are 5,912 active caches within 120 miles of San Antonio.

...270 miles from San Antonio before you hit Louisiana. There are 26,098 active caches within 270 miles of San Antonio.

...312 miles from San Antonio before you hit Oklahoma. There are 32,593 active caches within 312 miles of San Antonio.

...325 miles from San Antonio before you hit New Mexico. There are 32,880 active caches within 325 miles of San Antonio.

...370 miles from San Antonio before you hit Arkansas. There are 36,940 active caches within 370 miles of San Antonio.

I think pocket queries are a better solution for this type of problem.