Firetacks

I want to plan a night caching trail but I'm having trouble finding a supplier of firetacks in the UK. I did find one online store but they currently appear to be out of stock (with no info regarding how long).

Does anyone have an idea of where I can buy some either online, in the high street or actually own some they'd be willing to sell to me? :)

<<strokes packet of fire tacks lovingly>> Sadly I too have a night cache planned for them.

The ones I have are covered in this tape (I also have a reel of this and the yellow version bought from this site).

I see no reason why you can't tack small squares of tape to a tree with just a small tack, no need to make a proper pin (although this would be a flat surface, not 3D like the proper tacks). I wonder if you could use cable clips - cover the plastic hoop with the tape and off you go.

Edited by HouseOfDragons

There was a debate on firetacks some time ago, which got rather heated. I won't provide a link in case it all starts up again. :)

They've been banned from use on trees (for caching purposes) in some areas of the UK (they can be used outside the UK, however). IMO this was due to a misunderstanding about how they were to be used. But let's not go there! Expert advice was that even tiny pins will have disastrous consequences, particularly if there's copper in the metal.

This might be why they're harder to obtain from caching suppliers than they used to be.

However, stainless steel screws with copper attachments are fine (they are used as lightning conductors to protect trees), so perhaps use these (you could attach reflective discs)?

light5.jpg

I want to plan a night caching trail but I'm having trouble finding a supplier of firetacks in the UK. I did find one online store but they currently appear to be out of stock (with no info regarding how long).

Does anyone have an idea of where I can buy some either online, in the high street or actually own some they'd be willing to sell to me? :)

I've set a few night caches, and have never used firetacks.

Just get hold of an old or cheap hi-viz vest (builders skips are good!), cut out the tape, cut it into whatever shape markers you need, and either tack or staple the tape pieces up.

My markers have all been about 1/2 inch across, eye shaped/stars/triangles - whatever you want - and they work fine for a fraction of the cost of fire tacks.

Just get hold of an old or cheap hi-viz vest (builders skips are good!), cut out the tape, cut it into whatever shape markers you need, and either tack or staple the tape pieces up.

My markers have all been about 1/2 inch across, eye shaped/stars/triangles - whatever you want - and they work fine for a fraction of the cost of fire tacks.

Just made two night caches and used the above - hi-vis approach and then stuck them to trees with no nails - works a treat.

Cut the strips into 10mm and 25mm squares with a Stanley. Put a blob of no nails on the tree then press the square (reflective side out) into it. Will work on metal posts, seats, bridges, gates, sheep and cachers with no problem ;)

Edited by Djinnsplace

Just made two night caches and used the above - hi-vis approach and then stuck them to trees with no nails - works a treat.

Cut the strips into 10mm and 25mm squares with a Stanley. Put a blob of no nails on the tree then press the square (reflective side out) into it. Will work on metal posts, seats, bridges, gates, sheep and cachers with no problem ;)

Last week, I blagged some freebie A6 samples of 3M reflective sheet. Enough to make loads of firetacks..

I laminated a few bits, and these "firetags" can be hung from branches, barbed wire fences etc with a bit of string or a cable tie..

The company I used was "William Smith"....

I'm shocked..... and stunned......

Think of the serious injuries that could be inflicted on innocent forestry workers if one of these potentially lethal objects get hit by their chain saw when felling a tree that has these tacks embedding in their bark.

but.. hold on, those bu**ers are cutting trees down. So sod 'em. :) :)

Edited by Tree Hugger

Think of the serious injuries that could be inflicted on innocent forestry workers if one of these potentially lethal objects get hit by their chain saw when felling a tree that has these tacks embedding in their bark.

but.. hold on, those bu**ers are cutting trees down. So sod 'em. :):lol:

Tree Fugger?

:)

but.. hold on, those bu**ers are cutting trees down. So sod 'em. :) :)

You can't injure too many of them, otherwise I won't get any fuel for my heating.

Does anyone have an idea of where I can buy some either online, in the high street or actually own some they'd be willing to sell to me? :anibad:

Anopther thing to Google up is SOLA's Tape, white rectro reflective tape.

Its good stuff, standard used at sea foes not nrmally mean much but this stuff is normally self adesive and very reflective.

You would be suprised wher you can hde it. Have been tempted to do one in a mor urban enviroment with this stuff... Just not had time to.

No Nails in trees either.

If yo know some one who works at sea I have no doubt they can "borrow" some for you :P

Those Night caches I was talking about = Barry’s Midnight Stroll & Bonus Night Caches GC1ZTAD and GC221YW have now been Published. Give them a go and see how if you like these reflectors in action. :anibad:

Too bad I'm quite far from Wales.... maybe I can plan some camping in summer.

OK another confession to make - I don't do Fleabay. Had a minor disagreement over £10 fee over a year ago after being fleeced for £20 and they didn't investigate it due to the other party being a power seller. Long story but it left a bad taste in my mouth for the cross-border unaccountable organisation.

But then more money from me to local guys right?!

Dont forget to tell me so i can add them to the UK night caches bookmark list. :D:):D

Will do when I eventually get out there to place this one.

I've just ordered 2 colour tapes from fancy-tapes.co.uk thanks to HoD for the link! I'll look into grabbing a tube of No Nails too. Just got to work on the puzzle part - I'm planning this as the 'bonus' trail after finding puzzle info from 2 or 3 traditional caches on the nearby moor. :D