Delorme Earthmate PN-30

Waldo_Mudd

If you have a rechargeable Li-Ion battery in the PN-30, the standard cable will charge it when plugged into anything supplying the 5v USB current. So you can plug it into a computer, a 12v-USB converter, an external USB battery pack, etc.

This only applies to the DeLorme Li-Ion battery kit. The "Cab-batt" (presently out of stock), built & sold by a DeLorme fan, can also be charged this way, but it is not supported by DeLorme.

Regular rechargeable batteries (NiMH) will not charge in the PN-series devices, period. But you can still power the GPS off the USB cord while those batteries are installed.

That's right, rechargeable NiMH AA's can be used in the PN-30, but are *not* recharged by the PN-30. I like to carry a set of low-discharge NiMH AA's for backup to my r-CRV3 Li-Ion.

The DeLorme-issued rechargeable Li-Ion battery has the virtue of following a known discharge curve and yielding an estimate of remaining power in the battery. Non-supported R-CRV3 Li-Ions may work ok in the PNs, but follow different discharge curves that provide inaccurate remaining power estimates. For example, the Cab-bat that dakboy cited (which I love for its longer run times) will show 100% remaining power until about 2 minutes before it runs out of juice. Those last two minutes you can watch the remaining power readings drop like a stone.

I just looked on the DeLorme PN accessory page and I see they are listing the r-CRV3 for $13. I note they are explicitly offering the data cable for sale now, too (different story).

When you look at all the stuff included in the power kit, I consider slightly overpriced but not too bad. However, if you don't anticipate using all the stuff that comes with it, the premium gets higher. If you're looking to save a few bucks, it's a good item to scrutinize and consider the alternatives.

I just looked on the DeLorme PN accessory page and I see they are listing the r-CRV3 for $13. I note they are explicitly offering the data cable for sale now, too (different story).

Nice to see DeLorme sells this battery by itself now. I ordered one as soon as I saw your post. Before, I think DeLorme only sold the battery in that Power Kit, which cost more than I wanted to spend and included cables I didn't particularly need.

Nice to see DeLorme sells this battery by itself now. I ordered one as soon as I saw your post. Before, I think DeLorme only sold the battery in that Power Kit, which cost more than I wanted to spend and included cables I didn't particularly need.

In the past they sold a lot of stuff a la carte, they just didn't have it that way on the website. If you called & asked, they'd usually set you up.

For my PN30, I have been using NiMH AAs, and would like to try alternatives.

Has anyone tried generic Li-Ion r-CRV3 batteries? These are seen with ratings as high as 1800 mAH.

Yes, I have tried a Delkin available through Thomas Distributing that was OK.

But that was when the DeLorme rCR-V3 was only available, AFAIK, in the $50 Power Travel Kit.

However, now it is available as a standalone; therefore, I would have no incentive to get the generic.

DeLorme Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery Pack:

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtd...p;section=10463

I, as have many others, used the Cab-bat rCR-V3 with very good results.

However, it is not currently available.

My suggestion is to get the DeLorme now.

Then, if and when the Cab-bat becomes available,

buy it and the DeLorme is the backup/spare that one should have regardless.

Also, has anyone tried the Nickel-Zinc AAs?

I'll pass.

The PN-XXs have four battery selections and those four expect. I presume, nominal voltages none of which are representative of the 1.6V Ni-Zi.

For example, if Ni-MH rechargeable is selected, I assume the PN will be working to an input voltage of 1.2.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

I tried the Delkin, too. As I recall (it doesn't say on the battery) it is either 1200 or 1300 mAh. I think the DeLorme battery is 1300. So, like CP, I thought it only ok.

One problem with non-DeLorme rCRV3's is that they have different discharge curves, so the power remaining estimates are wildly inaccurate...you pretty much have to keep track of your run time to estimate what you've got left.

Another problem is that not all of them fit in the compartment. I forget the name of one brand that a few people tried that was too large to get in.

Lastly, there's that slight chance that something is non-standard enough that it causes some kind of malfunction. I haven't really ever heard of that happening, though the DeLorme admonition about using non-DeLorme batteries seemed to imply potential disaster. I would think that if you check the voltage at several states of discharge to make sure it's within the expected range, it would be safe enough. That 1800 mAh you mentioned sounds intriguing. I can't remember what Cab's batteries come in at...maybe 1600?

As for the NiZn, I didn't look at the discharge curves. *If* they fit another type closely, I'd think maybe. But I'd worry about the GPS powering off at the proper point of depletion. The PNs get wonky if they don't power down properly when the battery is gone. So I don't think I'll give them a shot if/until DeLorme gives a green light on them. You could raise the issue on the DeLorme boards; maybe one of their people would say something about it (though I'd only expect a response if they could say explicitly why it would be a bad idea).

Has anyone tried generic Li-Ion r-CRV3 batteries? These are seen with ratings as high as 1800 mAH.

Also, has anyone tried the Nickel-Zinc AAs?

The Power Curve on the Powerex NiZn AAs seems to indicate that they could be used in a PN-30/40 that is not connected by cable to a computer or other 5v external power source.

But IMHO it would be unwise to risk using the NiZn AA cells internally in a PN-30/40 because the voltage curve is so high that the PN devices might confuse them with Delorme supported Li-ion RCR-V3 rechargeables and try to recharge the NiZn cells, if connexted to external power. NiZn AA cells definitely can not be recommended for the Delorme PN devices at this point in time.

Edited by 39_Steps

Well, it arrived in the mail on Thursday. Accuracy seems great. It is pretty awesome. 2 new questions to ask though. Is there a way to get rid of that 3rd digit after the decimal? I looked throught the book, but with no luck. 2nd, does it take the GPX 1.0.1 format? I haven't tried the download for it. Was wondering the difference and if I can even receive it. Thanks again for responses.

Well, it arrived in the mail on Thursday. Accuracy seems great. It is pretty awesome. 2 new questions to ask though. Is there a way to get rid of that 3rd digit after the decimal? I looked throught the book, but with no luck. 2nd, does it take the GPX 1.0.1 format? I haven't tried the download for it. Was wondering the difference and if I can even receive it. Thanks again for responses.

I think you mean the 4th digit after the decimal and no, you can't get rid of it. It's simply an extra digit of resolution and can be ignored.

As for the GPX 1.0.1 format, you won't see any difference using it at this time. The 1.0.1 format includes the cache attributes but the 40 is not yet capable of showing them. There is a firmware update (2.8) due in the spring that will hopefully change that.