Rushing for an FTF....

SooMukwas

I'm sure there are lots like me that get all adrenalized when a new cache notification pops up on e-mail. Finding out exactly how far away it is and the fastest way to get there, etc. But, I've had to slow myself down lately because I seem to rush for an FTF with reckless abandon when in reality, the cache is brand new, its going to be there later today, tomorrow and even for weeks to come.

Just looking for any comments and are any other cachers worried that with many of us out there like this that it could be an accident waiting to happen, especially on the roads, speeding to the GZ(and other laws possibly being broken)?

... in reality, the cache is brand new, its going to be there later today, tomorrow and even for weeks to come.

Most caches in this area don't last more than a few hours...forget a day or a week. :)

I think they mean the cache in general, not the FTF availibility. Or maybe not?

I'm sure there are lots like me that get all adrenalized when a new cache notification pops up on e-mail. Finding out exactly how far away it is and the fastest way to get there, etc. But, I've had to slow myself down lately because I seem to rush for an FTF with reckless abandon when in reality, the cache is brand new, its going to be there later today, tomorrow and even for weeks to come.

Just looking for any comments and are any other cachers worried that with many of us out there like this that it could be an accident waiting to happen, especially on the roads, speeding to the GZ(and other laws possibly being broken)?

This has been brought up before, but I've never heard a single instance of anyone running red lights, or getting into an accident or anything like that. A doomsday scenario that's probably never going to happen.

Now illegally entering closed parks after hours, or hopping cemetery fences at 2:00 AM, yes, that's happened many times.

I rushed for one when it was just up the hill from me and I had been researching the park just the day before for possibly adding a geocache in that location. I figured if I couldnt put a cache there, I may as well get a FTF.

As I was coming out of the ravine, the next cacher was heading down the ravine.

I actually just set up a pocket query to start when I get done with my deployment to search for new caches within a radius from my home location. Haven't figured out how to get any quicker automated updates than a daily pocket query.

Most of the new caches in Iraq are at Camp Victory, and I am not. There is 1 cache that has been sitting at my base for almost 4 months without a FTF, but its on the far side of the post in a marine housing area.. which could explain why I put mine in an army motor pool

Someday when they make the geocaching movie, there'll be a scene where the FTF hounds spring into action. Email alerts will draw them from their beds into the cold night air, pulling hats and gloves over their pajamas, jumping on snowmobiles, jet skis, ultralights, roller blades, and Segways. They'll be parachuting, hitch-hiking, and hopping freight trains. They'll all be converging on ground zero, offering fake hints and staking out search areas. Some clown will cry "I've found it!", but it's just a ruse to drive the others away in frustration. Finally, one cacher checks some place for the third time and notices something a little out of the ordinary. They furtively sign the log and head out with a look of deep satisfaction.

I got a kick out of the title on this thread. Just 2 days ago I was out visiting some caches in my area and I got the notice that there was a new one just minutes away. I have seen some in that area found in less than 20 minutes very recently and there is some lag on the email so I wondered. We just had a huge snowfall so most of the roads were not clear. But I made my way there and found a cleaned patch to park (aka. next to somebody's garage in the alley - hoping they won't mind the 3 minute incursion since I wouldn't) and I get the FTF. I took a few minutes to make fake tracks in the snow etc. before heading back to the car, and as I drive out of the alley another care comes driving by with the driver glancing too and fro, leaving it at the nearest legal parking spot which at this point was pretty much the middle of the road, and sprinting to the nearest trees.

So when I read "rushing for an FTF" I couldn't help but envision her rushing to her STF.

I've only really "rushed" to one FTF. I've gone after quite a few but the rushed one was less than a half mile from my house. If I hadn't rushed, I wouldn't have gotten it either. The FTF hunt is pretty fierce here.

I look at it this way. I don't need a ticket, fine, higher insurance rate, possible crash, or any other scenario just so I can sign a blank log. It's just not how I play a "game".

I will, however, go after a FTF that nobody else is likely to go after. I got two in one night because they were in dark non-urban areas and posted after 11PM (and Scubasonic didn't go after them). That's how I get most of my FTF. I go for the ones where I'm NOT racing people.

My GPS is a Tmobile G1, so I have emails from the new publishes sent to my text messages. I play lots of World of Warcraft too, so when there's new content, I'm REALLY competitive to be the first to get it. Occasionally, I'd hang out near GZ hidden and watch other GeoCachers (without being discovered) because I wanted to see how they cached; but I stopped doing that after I'd see them disappointed. It wasn't a great feeling so I quit that habit. I kind of changed it to hiding when I put out a cache and it gets published; but that usually makes me have to wait a while, which is lame.

It's a blue moon when someone scoops me in Wichita since I've started playing. I'm all about the FTF excitement.

I think in the 4 or 5 years that my family has been caching we have had 1 FTF. We just don't care & don't understand what the big deal is. We have been STF on a few, but except for the one never FTF. Why would we care about being FTF. What's the point?

Well if you don't know then just keep it that way I'm sure the FTFers in your area will be happy not to have any additional competition.

Scubasonic

I think in the 4 or 5 years that my family has been caching we have had 1 FTF. We just don't care & don't understand what the big deal is. We have been STF on a few, but except for the one never FTF. Why would we care about being FTF. What's the point?

Well if you don't know then just keep it that way I'm sure the FTFers in your area will be happy not to have any additional competition.

Scubasonic

LOL,,,LOL,, I bet you're right about that.

My GPS is a Tmobile G1, so I have emails from the new publishes sent to my text messages. I play lots of World of Warcraft too, so when there's new content, I'm REALLY competitive to be the first to get it. Occasionally, I'd hang out near GZ hidden and watch other GeoCachers (without being discovered) because I wanted to see how they cached; but I stopped doing that after I'd see them disappointed. It wasn't a great feeling so I quit that habit. I kind of changed it to hiding when I put out a cache and it gets published; but that usually makes me have to wait a while, which is lame.

It's a blue moon when someone scoops me in Wichita since I've started playing. I'm all about the FTF excitement.

Hope there won't be any new listings in Wichita tomorrow, as there will be a blue moon!

You must not live in Ontario. Its been too cold here lately for caching in gowns. :rolleyes:

I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that or you would have owed me a new keyboard. As for the FTF people, good for you. Seriously. We all have our reasons for having this weird hobby. I like the puzzle/outdoors aspect and couldn't care less about the FTF. Plus, I'm a solo cacher so it always feels like a FTF.

I have to admit when I see them pop up I'm tempted... but not enough to do anything about it.

Dude, don't get all in an uproar on a FTF chase. Just have your gear ready, do the speed limit to the GZ and make sure set a perimeter of Claymores on your back trail for the STF. That's what I do.

:anibad:

Dude, don't get all in an uproar on a FTF chase. Just have your gear ready, do the speed limit to the GZ and make sure set a perimeter of Claymores on your back trail for the STF. That's what I do.

:anibad:

LMAO! Claymores are hard to come by. Its hard enough trying to buy thumb tacks to lay down on the way to FTF. That's why we drive so fast! :P

There is a cache near me (Sakonnet Greenway Trail #6) where the owner waited until the middle of our recent 2-feet-of-snow blizzard to list the cache, which was nearly half a mile down a trail. It took two whole days before someone ended up making the trek out there. I ended up being third to find, and even then, there were snow drifts up to my waist (I have since purchased snow shoes). There's a fairly competitive caching community here, and FTFs do not last long.

On that note... I *LOVE* the competitive side of caching, despite the many on this forum that seem to hate it :anibad:

To me the 1st to finds enhance my rating in my area so I do jump on them quickly when they pop if I am available. I have over 50 of them so yes if it pops up via e-mail on my phone its like stop the truck load the cache info program gps and point the truck in that direction.

It comes and goes for me, but right now, it's definitely ON. If a cache is within a few miles of me, and it is not in an area where I happen to know one of the other crazy zealots lives, then I will join the race. As for why...well, it's a competition that is fun, and doesn't really take a lot of time. Having the most finds used to be fun, but then it just got out of hand. There used to be some good stuff in caches, and often there was something extra special for the FTF, so I guess that got me kind of hooked. Now i just like feeling like I am better than everyone else.

I have signed a few blank logs in my time, and a few logs with only one signature. The only time I regret not rushing is if someone adds smileys, wahoos, and other similar thoughts to their logs.

I added a :P on 2 FTFs today. :anibad:

I only got one. I would have had a second but I left my phone at home when the second one came in. I would have been there 20 minutes before the FTFer if I had gone for it.

DRAT!

I look at the distance, if its far i don't bother because I know one of the local hounds with cars will beat me anyway.

if its too cold, the hounds can have it.

if its a hard one 3 star or better then i'll go for it because the hounds might DNF it[bafl01 and apyro can find anything so if i see them dnf then it just goes on the todo list. sometimes i get lucky]

Edited by power69

When I was trying for FTFs I said I equated the experience to my time as a volunteer firefighter. I would get the same adrenaline rush, the same rush for the shoes and coat, the jumping in the car to head off into the night.

Often times we would read stories of firefighters who do all sorts of things in the rush to get to the station -- speed, run red lights, pass in no-passing zones, etc. I don't hear as much of that in caching circles as part of the FTF race however.

However, the point our chief always made to us was the same: If you cause an accident or run someone over you cause a lot more problems for everyone -- you, the other person, and even the people who called for help because now there are two emergencies to respond to and one less person to do it. We had a rule that anyone who was ever given a ticket or charged with a driving offence while responding to a call was off the department.

The same mindset needs to apply in caching -- taking risks, breaking laws, and the consequences thereof FAR outweigh any pleasure you may get from getting your name into a logbook first. Adrenaline is a powerful thing and keeping it under control is a very valuable skill.

This has been brought up before, but I've never heard a single instance of anyone running red lights, or getting into an accident or anything like that. A doomsday scenario that's probably never going to happen.

Now illegally entering closed parks after hours, or hopping cemetery fences at 2:00 AM, yes, that's happened many times.

Not for FTF, but I have seen it happen on cache runs at events several times!

Once on a casual run here in Birmingham where we had four cars in a wagon train going from cache to cache. The lead car missed a turn and hit the brakes, the third car piled into the second.

At a 'geo-race' in Tennessee we had to be back at the starting point by a time certain. A cacher trying to get back in time came zooming into the park, hit the brakes and slid into another cacher's truck.

At another geo-race one cacher cut off another on a forest road, sending them into a ditch. They didn't actually fight but it was a heated moment and they have not spoken since.

FTF or any other competition, somebody is going to get a bit over-excited, that's just how folks are.

Because of that we have started fashioning our competitive events to be based on a scoring system rather than a timed race.

I just started (Santa brought me a GPSr for Christmas). I was geeked to get a new posting. Went out at 11pm and looked until 1am (two flashlights died). Went back out @ daylight, and got my first FTF on my 12th find on New Years Day. Hours before number two found it. Geocoin is at my nightstand. Says something for the newbie excitement -VS- jaded (no offense) olde-timers. If I can keep that feeling as long as I hunt for caches, I anticipate a long, enjoyable hobby. :anibad: Jeff

I just started (Santa brought me a GPSr for Christmas). I was geeked to get a new posting. Went out at 11pm and looked until 1am (two flashlights died). Went back out @ daylight, and got my first FTF on my 12th find on New Years Day. Hours before number two found it. Geocoin is at my nightstand. Says something for the newbie excitement -VS- jaded (no offense) olde-timers. If I can keep that feeling as long as I hunt for caches, I anticipate a long, enjoyable hobby. :) Jeff

OT

I hope that the geocoin was a gift and not a trackable that's supposed to move along

I have signed a few blank logs in my time, and a few logs with only one signature. The only time I regret not rushing is if someone adds smileys, wahoos, and other similar thoughts to their logs.

I added a :P on 2 FTFs today. :)

I only got one. I would have had a second but I left my phone at home when the second one came in. I would have been there 20 minutes before the FTFer if I had gone for it.

DRAT!

I got 3 on Jan 1st, and 2 on the Jan 2nd 5 FTFs in 2 days that's OK getting closer to 500 FTFs

Scubasonic

Edited by Scubasonic

Speeding on the roadways is always a bad idea.

That some geocachers might be silly enough to use going after an ftf as an excuse, if true, just makes more the sad event.

Do I worry about it? No. Do I try and drive aware of what's going on around me, always. There are just too many crazies on the roads to do otherwise.

ive only once gone to a FTF just to stop a local who always gets FTF from having it lol. if there is a ftf and i have nothing better to do i will go out to it if its close, but im not rushing there as thats how accidents happen and life is more important than a FTF.

:)

I just started (Santa brought me a GPSr for Christmas). I was geeked to get a new posting. Went out at 11pm and looked until 1am (two flashlights died). Went back out @ daylight, and got my first FTF on my 12th find on New Years Day. Hours before number two found it. Geocoin is at my nightstand. Says something for the newbie excitement -VS- jaded (no offense) olde-timers. If I can keep that feeling as long as I hunt for caches, I anticipate a long, enjoyable hobby. :D Jeff

OT

I hope that the geocoin was a gift and not a trackable that's supposed to move along

Es ist gut, wir haben Genies über uns wachen Idioten. Spott ist die Hommage an den Genius von der Mittelmäßigkeit zu zahlen. :P

Not for FTF, but I have seen it happen on cache runs at events several times!

Once on a casual run here in Birmingham where we had four cars in a wagon train going from cache to cache. The lead car missed a turn and hit the brakes, the third car piled into the second.

At a 'geo-race' in Tennessee we had to be back at the starting point by a time certain. A cacher trying to get back in time came zooming into the park, hit the brakes and slid into another cacher's truck.

At another geo-race one cacher cut off another on a forest road, sending them into a ditch. They didn't actually fight but it was a heated moment and they have not spoken since.

FTF or any other competition, somebody is going to get a bit over-excited, that's just how folks are.

Because of that we have started fashioning our competitive events to be based on a scoring system rather than a timed race.

Seems like a few people take things WAY too serious.

Going for FTF doesn't necessarily equate to reckless behavior. Lots of folks try for FTF by just getting in the car and heading that way. They plan on getting the edge by leaving for GZ earlier than other cachers, or by being in closer proximity to GZ when the cache is published. If someone engages in reckless behavior in order to get there first, that's not a reflection on going for FTF, it's a reflection on their poor judgment.

I used to go roaring out the door for an FTF for the first couple of years.

But, after not finding a couple, I decided to take the words of a much more experienced cacher to heart.

He asked me "Why do you want to Beta-test someone else's coordinates?"

It'll be there when I get there. If it isn't, I didn't need to find it that bad, anyway.

I used to go roaring out the door for an FTF for the first couple of years.

But, after not finding a couple, I decided to take the words of a much more experienced cacher to heart.

He asked me "Why do you want to Beta-test someone else's coordinates?"

It'll be there when I get there. If it isn't, I didn't need to find it that bad, anyway.

But it is fun to try!

I got a kick out of the title on this thread. Just 2 days ago I was out visiting some caches in my area and I got the notice that there was a new one just minutes away. I have seen some in that area found in less than 20 minutes very recently and there is some lag on the email so I wondered. We just had a huge snowfall so most of the roads were not clear. But I made my way there and found a cleaned patch to park (aka. next to somebody's garage in the alley - hoping they won't mind the 3 minute incursion since I wouldn't) and I get the FTF. I took a few minutes to make fake tracks in the snow etc. before heading back to the car, and as I drive out of the alley another care comes driving by with the driver glancing too and fro, leaving it at the nearest legal parking spot which at this point was pretty much the middle of the road, and sprinting to the nearest trees.

So when I read "rushing for an FTF" I couldn't help but envision her rushing to her STF.

You obviously didn't log it soon enough. How rude. :unsure:

I added a :D on 2 FTFs today. :unsure:

DRAT!

All this after declaring FTFs are more or less stupid in another thread.

I added a :D on 2 FTFs today. :unsure:

DRAT!

All this after declaring FTFs are more or less stupid in another thread.

Good thing I was only drinking water just now, as I just spat a mouthful directly at my monitor!

LMAO!

It has been years since I got my first to find until just a few weeks ago. An e-mail notification popped up which stated that there was a brand new geocache just down the road from my house! “I have to go find it right now,” I thought to myself. However, it was already 10:00 PM at night, and although it was placed with the owner’s permission, it was still located on business property after dark. So I reluctantly went to bed knowing that a brand new geocache was literally blocks away from me.

The next morning I woke up bright, and early. I ate some breakfast, took a shower, and got dressed. I then logged onto geocaching.com thinking surely a first to find hound has found it by now. To my surprise it was still up for the taking! I jumped into my car, put on my seatbelt (for safety of course), and drove to the geocache location. After I found the geocache, I opened up the crisp, clean pages of the logbook, and proudly signed my name. Well, actually it was so cold outside that I scribbled my name. However, after about 10 hours of patiently waiting I was still proud to be the first to find! :unsure: