55 gallon drum cache

lavender5215

Im thinking about placing a 55 gallon drum cache.

Is it good? Is it bad? Is it legal? Is it possible?

Im looking for some opinions.

I think it is a great idea as long as you have the right spot that is muggle free, just hard to hide that big of a cache...... but will hold lots of SWAG you will only have to clean it out of swag every year or so.......... so that folks can find the log book..

Scubasonic

I think it is a great idea as long as you have the right spot that is muggle free, just hard to hide that big of a cache...... but will hold lots of SWAG you will only have to clean it out of swag every year or so.......... so that folks can find the log book..

Scubasonic

Actually if you fill it with SWAG by the end of the year all that will be left will be the logbook.

Jim

Might be okay providing 1) the drum didn't originally contain food substances, 2) the drum didn't originally contain dangerous chemicals, 3) the drum didn't originally contain petroleum products, 4) you can find a place to "hide" it that doesn't require digging.

Drums can be purchased completely clean and unused or maybe I could look into one of those drums they use to hold paper scraps at paper factories or something similiar.

Where it would go is on my aunts property if she lets me and theres no muggles to worry about, I might cammo it for the fun of the game though.

Drums can be purchased completely clean and unused or maybe I could look into one of those drums they use to hold paper scraps at paper factories or something similiar.

Yep, we bought a clean one once for food. Just be sure to check whether the lid can be opened and easily resealed tightly enough that water doesn't leak in. The lids have different types of closures and some of them require a wrench to close properly.

Might be okay providing 1) the drum didn't originally contain food substances, 2) the drum didn't originally contain dangerous chemicals, 3) the drum didn't originally contain petroleum products, 4) you can find a place to "hide" it that doesn't require digging.

Where it would go is on my aunts property if she lets me and theres no muggles to worry about, I might cammo it for the fun of the game though.

I had a DNF on one of these last winter. It was under 20+" of snow. It is in a lava field high in the Cascades.

Another important consideration is the seal on the lid and whether finders will replace it properly to keep it dry inside. Put a weep hole in the lowest point so that condensation and any water that leaks in will leak out.

there is a cache near us that is a huge bucket that they keep in there front yard, they call it "no mines the biggest". they have the exact opposite problem with swag. They actually ahve to remove some every now and again.

I found that one! The lid was kept on with chains and a combo-lock. Combo was on the cache page.

Had buckets screwed in on the inside to keep the logbook and trackables within reach.

Now, as for this cache with a 55gal drum... let's make it a challenge:

IMG_8760.JPG

there is a cache near us that is a huge bucket that they keep in there front yard, they call it "no mines the biggest". they have the exact opposite problem with swag. They actually ahve to remove some every now and again.

I found that one! The lid was kept on with chains and a combo-lock. Combo was on the cache page.

Had buckets screwed in on the inside to keep the logbook and trackables within reach.

Now, as for this cache with a 55gal drum... let's make it a challenge:

IMG_8760.JPG

ha ha ha ha ha ha..............which one is it in!!!!!! :):huh:;):D:D

Re: #1... are you afraid a racoon might attack the 55 gallon drum? LOL! OK, yeah, a bear might be able to roll it away from the posted coordinates, but we're not exactly talking peanut butter jar here (of which I have probably found at least 500 of, almost all in good condition). Your next two points, while excellent, are not guidelines according to this website's listing criteria, are they?

Edited by knowschad

Scubasonic

Actually if you fill it with SWAG by the end of the year all that will be left will be the logbook.

Jim

And even if you put a 100 page College Ruled loose leaf log book in it, no one will ever do anything but just scribble their username and date in it as if it was a micro, and the logbook will last like 1,000 years (theoretically, of course).

Re: #1... are you afraid a racoon might attack the 55 gallon drum? LOL! OK, yeah, a bear might be able to roll it away from the posted coordinates, but we're not exactly talking peanut butter jar here (of which I have probably found at least 500 of, almost all in good condition). Your next two points, while excellent, are not guidelines according to this website's listing criteria, are they?

No, but they would make the container potentially unsafe for users to access it. And the OP asked if it was a good idea.

Some land managers have a maximum size for cache containers. I don't know if that's true in your area, or even you were considering public lands. It would block using a container of this size in Florida's State Forests, and some other public lands here as well.

Re: #1... are you afraid a racoon might attack the 55 gallon drum? LOL! OK, yeah, a bear might be able to roll it away from the posted coordinates, but we're not exactly talking peanut butter jar here (of which I have probably found at least 500 of, almost all in good condition).

"Did Not Find. I did, however, see a bear with his head stuck in a large food tub"

No, but they would make the container potentially unsafe for users to access it. And the OP asked if it was a good idea.

I disagree. Either of those would be perfectly fine, provided the container was properly cleaned.

I think that we can assume that no one is going to hide a cache using a gunky oil drum.

Some land managers have a maximum size for cache containers. I don't know if that's true in your area, or even you were considering public lands. It would block using a container of this size in Florida's State Forests, and some other public lands here as well.

It will most likely be on a relatives land which she owns.

I disagree. Either of those would be perfectly fine, provided the container was properly cleaned.

I think that we can assume that no one is going to hide a cache using a gunky oil drum.

No gunky oil drums or toxic waste I would never do that. I was thinking more on the lines of old 55 gallons that stored dry stuff like paper scraps or wood or saw dust. it may not even end up being a 55 gallon drum in particular, just something really large.

It's a good idea. Large caches are very seldom. In Germany most of the geocaches listed as large aren't even close to 5 gallons.

Legal? That should have to do nothing with the size. Either you have the permission or not. Doesn't make a difference if it is a micro or a large.

Do it!

GermanSailor

And if it was "legal". That's the part that I was focused on.

Scubasonic

Put the logbook in a ziplock bag and tape/glue it to the lid.

I would kill to find a 55 gallon drum full of geocaching goodness!
I would not count on that part. I have a cache that is a 30 gallon storage container. When I put it out, I filled it with large swag... a picture puzzle, a large plastic robot, all kinds of geocaching goodness like that. Last time I checked, it looked pretty lonesome and practically empty.
I would not count on that part. I have a cache that is a 30 gallon storage container. When I put it out, I filled it with large swag... a picture puzzle, a large plastic robot, all kinds of geocaching goodness like that. Last time I checked, it looked pretty lonesome and practically empty.

Maybe that's just an issue in Mn?

Well, almost 55 gallons: Holy Macro!

(check out the logs & gallery)

Look out South East UK, i have been talking to the CO and have been given a contact for the supplies used for this.

i have also visitied 3 well known high street photo shops withing 5 miles of my chosen GZ and today managed to collect 350(ish) 35mm film canisters/miros.

i have 6 more photo shops with 10-15 miles of GZ to visit and also collect some as well as the contact from the CO.

Maybe that's just an issue in Mn?
Its possible, I suppose, but I doubt it. You''ve heard of "Minnesota Nice", haven't you?