Newbie and enjoying it!

d_cross78

Well after reading about geocaching in the camping & caravanning magazine I asked for an etrex h gpsr from Santa! We were down at the outlaws for chrimbo and I couldn't wait to get out and try it.

The first cache we hunted for was no good, couldn't find it so thought we'd do another couple nearby. 2 successes and a good trip with the kids, today we also did another and after a false start on the first clue managed to locate the cache!!! So now I think I've got the bug and can't wait to go out next!!! Plus also thinking of where to hide some caches of my own!

The kids think it's fab and pretend it's like a spygame and can't wait to go again!!!

Many thanks to all,

Dave

Welcome - Glad you're enjoying it so far :huh:

There's lots of information and help to be found around these forums. There's the Getting Started forum which has useful FAQs pinned at the top of it, then there's more UK-specific information pinned at the top of this one, including Resources for Geocachers in the UK and Ireland.

You should also visit the Geocaching Association of G.B. too, particularly for information about Landowner Agreements for geocaching activities on their land.

And for anything else... Well... Just ask!

MrsB :)

Edited by The Blorenges

Welcome to the game, hope you enjoy it. As well as the good advice you've been given you can extend what is on offer to you by checking out http://opencaching.org.uk/index.php which is run by UK cachers for anyone caching in the UK. In case you were wondering, yes it's totally free. Nowhere near as many caches as Geocaching.com but it's growing and you never know, you might find something unusual.

Welcome to a past time that becomes most addictive. Rule of thumb unless I am shot down in flames is to generally find 100 caches before placing one of your own as this gives one a little more experience on types, locations, requirements, co-ords, off sets, etc. Also if you get a moment perhaps put a little information on your profile, then at least we'll know what part of the country you are from and where you'll possibly be caching and eventually placing out some new caches. Most of all though welcome and enjoy! :):huh:;)

Welcome to a past time that becomes most addictive. Rule of thumb unless I am shot down in flames is to generally find 100 caches before placing one of your own as this gives one a little more experience on types, locations, requirements, co-ords, off sets, etc. Also if you get a moment perhaps put a little information on your profile, then at least we'll know what part of the country you are from and where you'll possibly be caching and eventually placing out some new caches. Most of all though welcome and enjoy! :D:(:P

What rule of thumb is this??

For example - how is finding 100 film pots in hedges going to make for a better hide?

There are some excellent hides around by people with fewer than a dozen hides. Conversely there are some god-awful sets of unimaginative micros and smalls around by people with finds in the hundreds or thousands..... :)

I agree that the best hides generally come with experience - but there is no way to quantify how many hides or of what types.

And before I get shot down in flames - NO, this isn't an anti micro tirade :huh:;):D

Must admit that I did read it somewhere, but is this the face of concern....No! Your right as well some with only a couple to their tally put out excellent caches and others with hundreds and thousands (not the cake topping bits either) still put out a little micro with a bit of till roll. So there you are. Knew that I would get shot down in flames......Esther Rantzen (That's Life) ;):blink::laughing:

Welcome to a past time that becomes most addictive. Rule of thumb unless I am shot down in flames is to generally find 100 caches before placing one of your own as this gives one a little more experience on types, locations, requirements, co-ords, off sets, etc. Also if you get a moment perhaps put a little information on your profile, then at least we'll know what part of the country you are from and where you'll possibly be caching and eventually placing out some new caches. Most of all though welcome and enjoy! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

For example - how is finding 100 film pots in hedges going to make for a better hide?

There are some excellent hides around by people with fewer than a dozen hides. Conversely there are some god-awful sets of unimaginative micros and smalls around by people with finds in the hundreds or thousands..... ;)

I agree that the best hides generally come with experience - but there is no way to quantify how many hides or of what types.

lightening.gif

And before I get shot down in flames - NO, this isn't an anti micro tirade :blink::laughing::laughing:

keehotee.jpgfripper.gif

Sorry, just couldn't resist!!

Welcome to a past time that becomes most addictive. Rule of thumb unless I am shot down in flames is to generally find 100 caches before placing one of your own as this gives one a little more experience on types, locations, requirements, co-ords, off sets, etc. Also if you get a moment perhaps put a little information on your profile, then at least we'll know what part of the country you are from and where you'll possibly be caching and eventually placing out some new caches. Most of all though welcome and enjoy! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

There are some excellent hides around by people with fewer than a dozen hides. Conversely there are some god-awful sets of unimaginative micros and smalls around by people with finds in the hundreds or thousands..... :laughing:

lightening.gif

And before I get shot down in flames - NO, this isn't an anti micro tirade :laughing::laughing::laughing:

keehotee.jpgfripper.gif

Sorry, just couldn't resist!!

:laughing::D:D

Somebody give Richard some snow to play with. Please ;):blink: