NEW CUSTOMS FORMS

avroair

I just got back from the post office and they are touting a new customs form. It is like a small pamphlet with three carbon copies and an instruction cover page.

The advantages:

(1) there is now a box to check for merchandise so we don't have to keep checking gift or other

(2) there is a now a clear total value box at the bottom so adding up the total value is important

(3) since there are two carbon copies we get a receipt with a postal stamp, hopefully paypal will accept this as proof of payment in a dispute, thus reducing the number of refunds we have to pay to international buyers.

The disadvantages:

(1) no longer being able to send 20 'gifts' since the customs officers are now looking out for that one (with merchandise being an option

(2) the forms are now complicated to the point that you can pre-fill them out, but can't attach them to your package until you are at the counter.

(3) since the forms are carbon copies, you can't stick a label in for your address, you have to hand write it out and make sure it goes through all the layers.

All in all, I think this is positive, but may mean international buyers having to pay more taxes on geocoins. I am not sure how long the old forms will be accepted.

Edited by avroair

I just got back from the post office and they are touting a new customs form. It is like a small pamphlet with three carbon copies and an instruction cover page.

The advantages:

(1) there is now a box to check for merchandise so we don't have to keep checking gift or other

(2) there is a now a clear total value box at the bottom so adding up the total value is important

(3) since there are two carbon copies we get a receipt with a postal stamp, hopefully paypal will accept this as proof of payment in a dispute, thus reducing the number of refunds we have to pay to international buyers.

The disadvantages:

(1) no longer being able to send 20 'gifts' since the customs officers are now looking out for that one (with merchandise being an option

(2) the forms are no complicated to the point that you can pre-fill them out, but can't attach them to your package until you are at the counter.

(3) since the forms are carbon copies, you can stick a label in for your address, you have to write out the address and make sure it goes through all the layers.

All in all, I think this is positive, but may mean international buyers having to pay more taxes on geocoins. I am not sure how long the old forms will be accepted.

Ugh! The US Post office.

I think this will be more taxes for the International customers receiving merchandise so they will likely pay more taxes.

For me I use labels so having to hand write each one will be a pain in the you know what.

I'll have to see if my post office has the new labels next time I go. With them you never know, I remember when they changed the way the packages were going to be determined different post offices used different methods and one post office didn't even know that it was going to change until I told them!

Well not this weekend but next weekend I will probably have quite a few International shipments and I have a ton of the current custom forms.

I pre-fill them out before i go to the post office. Hopefully they will take them and won't make me change them all. That could be a major pain for folks in line behind me...

That could be a major pain for folks in line behind me...

Here, they just make you take your forms to a counter out of the way to fill them out, then you either have to get back in line, or jump ahead.

I saw a lady filling out the new form when I sent out my Secret Santa mission a couple weeks ago. I didn't realize it was a "new" form, though. :) TG I don' do as much mailing as some people, International or otherwise.

The Canadian form has two copies with the top copy being the customer receipt and the bottom having the sticky side to afix to the package. I've always printed out my own version of this form on Avery stickers. The post office here doesn't care whether I have my customer copy or not. Besides, I get the itemized cash register receipt anyway.

I had to do this for 2 packages this week but they were over $250 in value. If it is less than that, I think the small form still works. At least I used it on 3 at the same time as I had to use the new form.

The carbon white forms were always for high value or heavier international packages.

I'm going to keep using the green ones I have until I run out.

Yep, got the new one today while getting ready to ship a package. It was under 4 Lbs and $200.00 but I still had to use the new white forms.................

There are actually two new forms... one's the length of a novel and is for heavy items and things over $200 insurance, the other is smaller and will replace the green and white ones.

Yep, got the new one today while getting ready to ship a package. It was under 4 Lbs and $200.00 but I still had to use the new white forms.................

There are actually two new forms... one's the length of a novel and is for heavy items and things over $200 insurance, the other is smaller and will replace the green and white ones.

Oh.........Yes, the one I got was pretty easy to fill out. Usually I just use usps.com to buy and print shipping labels, but it doesn't offer the option of buying insurance on a small flat rate box for some reason (just for the medium and large), so I had to trudge into the post office yesterday.

You can still print out labels and adhere them to the new customs forms. You just have to use the standard address labels (1"x 2 5/8"), also known as Avery 8160.

Also, the post office will accept the green forms until they are exhausted (or so I was told)

There is another advantage - the new form is scanned into the postal system just like delivery confirmation - therefore, I believe PayPal will accept this customs form as trackable. The new white customs labels generally start with the letters "LC" and I have tracked this 'tracking' number on a previous package to the UK. Don't know if it's all the same, but you can certainly give it a try. ~J

You can still print out labels and adhere them to the new customs forms. You just have to use the standard address labels (1"x 2 5/8"), also known as Avery 8160.

The carbon copy makes that kinda difficult. The clerk made me redo the ones that didn't have the address down to the third copy.

Stamps.com says about the multi-part form:

"This is the standard customs declaration form needed for Express Mail International and Priority Mail International when sending parcels and merchandise."

And about the old green form:

"This is the standard customs declaration form needed for Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelope, First Class Mail International, M-bags, and Matter for the Blind when sending documents."

Was at the Post Office today and I asked lots of questions. (You know, trying to teach then the way I think it should work. ;) )

They were very vauge about it and are going to do a little research for me. Here is what I learned today:

I sent a package (first classs) to Netherlands and it only needed the green form. If I sent it priority flat rate box I could use the green for up to $400 value. If I sent it priority in a regular box or envelop I would need to use the new form no matter what.

Mike

I sent out a mailer to Germany today. My local PO knew there was a new form on the way but had no idea when they would get some. The nice lady behind the counter said I could use the green for for as long as I had some to use. We both figure the rule will change on the day I bring in a dozen or so mailers at one time with the old form on them ;)

Well, that doesn't mean much at the PO I've been going to...the latest quote from the clerk is...

"Every time you come in, we learn something new"

Too true. The rules here vary depending on which post office you visit. When I send geocoins, I typically carry a copy of the relevant regulations so that I am not overcharged for postage. (Rigid objects are allowed in first-class large envelopes sent internationally as long as they meet the flexability requirements.)

I haven't mailed internationally in a while, so I haven't encountered the new forms. The current general guidance (Link) suggests that there are still different forms depending on the package and mail class. I haven't looked up the detailed rules though.

just curious...which countries pay the most tax on a geocoin delivery? i know Germany pays a stiff tax. does it help a buyer or hurt them to place a total amount that is the wholesale price (much lower) rather than the actual purchase price (much higher) for a shipment?

i've been totaling shipments with the lower price, but i don't know if buyers may actually declare their purchase price (a different total), and then have to explain at the customs office. can someone give me the best advice? thanks, i hope this isn't too far off topic. if so, i apologize.

just curious...which countries pay the most tax on a geocoin delivery? i know Germany pays a stiff tax. does it help a buyer or hurt them to place a total amount that is the wholesale price (much lower) rather than the actual purchase price (much higher) for a shipment?

i've been totaling shipments with the lower price, but i don't know if buyers may actually declare their purchase price (a different total), and then have to explain at the customs office. can someone give me the best advice? thanks, i hope this isn't too far off topic. if so, i apologize.

Each country is different. But all seem to have a certain max amount that isn't taxed at all. I usually put the original prices too to keep the package low declared value.

Weel you know you do a lot of business with the post office when they call you by name. You are in an elite group when they send you information after asking questions at the counter.

Here is a link to the info they sent me:

USPS - 123 Customers Forms

In most situation it is still the Green form. The biggest deal is tht the Whte form changed and is difficult to fill out and that the USPS employee has to enter all the info in their system now.

BTW: They got my address somehow and sent me the mail. They are not even my post office that delivers mine. Friendly group and I have them all trained. I don't even complete the right side of the green customs form. They only keep them for 30 days in case somethign happens and they all know me anyway.

Mike

Each country is different. But all seem to have a certain max amount that isn't taxed at all. I usually put the original prices too to keep the package low declared value.

its too bad people from countries other than the U.S. don't reply here and offer information that might help reduce the tax they have to pay at the Customs Office for receiving geocoins from the U.S.

Weel you know you do a lot of business with the post office when they call you by name. You are in an elite group when they send you information after asking questions at the counter.

In most situation it is still the Green form. The biggest deal is tht the Whte form changed and is difficult to fill out and that the USPS employee has to enter all the info in their system now.

BTW: They got my address somehow and sent me the mail. They are not even my post office that delivers mine. Friendly group and I have them all trained. I don't even complete the right side of the green customs form. They only keep them for 30 days in case something happens and they all know me anyway.

Mike

That just confused me more. The form I use is 2976 with an edition of January 2004 on it. The text on that link says there's a 2976 with a May 2009 edition.

Edited by AtlantaGal

BTW: They got my address somehow and sent me the mail. They are not even my post office that delivers mine. Friendly group and I have them all trained. I don't even complete the right side of the green customs form. They only keep them for 30 days in case something happens and they all know me anyway.

Mike

That just confused me more. The form I use is 2976 with an edition of January 2004 on it. The text on that link says there's a 2976 with a May 2009 edition.

The green forms I have right now have January 2004 on them as well.