2 Questions about my Oregon 300

Hello

I have had my Oregon 300 for some time now and I'm pretty good at figuring how to work its features… However, 2 things have eluded me so far.

1) I travel quite a bit. When I “wake up” the GPSr far from where it went to “sleep”, I can’t figure how to force it to a new location. I have had several Gamins and up till now it was easy to force it to the new location. It’s probably easy to do but I have not yet figured it out.

2) Not sure if this is a bug or not and I hope I can describe it right but when I want to “go to” a new location (off road) I plug in where I want to go and hit “GO” I get a nice big fat pink line on the map going straight to the location… That’s fine except that, that straight line stays there. Now as we all know in caching the shortest way to a cache is never a straight line. When I walk to the location and I move away from the original straight line it stays there. I still have a smaller line that always point directly to the “Go To” location no matter where I am but that big fat line is still there… I find it irritating. When I am close to the original fat line and I zoom in it can hide some features. How do I get rid of the big fat pink line???

I hope I explained the second point right. Is it a “Feature” if so can I turn it off. If it is a bug I will tell Garmin.

Thanks

C2C2C

Hi,

I'm not sure about #1, but #2 should be a feature. Try setting Setup->Heading->Go To Line to Bearing instead of Course.

1. Your question spurred me to look in the Garmin wiki because I've wondered if there was a way to "initialize" my Oregon after a long flight like I used to do with my Magellan. I haven't tried this, but here's what's in the wiki:

"Added ability to set position after pressing the go button when GPS is in Demo Mode. Oregon does not support the "Set Location on Map" feature that most Garmin receivers support for simulation of routes from a location other than the current location of the GPS (CO, 60csx) (2.2)

Put GPS in demo mode Setup>System>GPS>Demo Mode and then WhereTo?>[search for a new location] or select location on a map and hit Go. There is a new option "Move to Location" which will move the GPS to the new location."

On the other hand, even after traveling from Alaska to Michigan or Arizona, the Oregon reacquired satellites in less than five minutes.

2. I haven't seen the pink line stay in place. It stays fixed to the "target" and moves with my position cursor. I'm running firmware 3.42 beta and software 3.70.