Eventcaches

RuideAlmeida

Should we log our own eventcaches?

Should we log our caches whatsoever?

Why most of us dont log Found on our own caches, but log Attended on our own events?

What do you think?

The flaw in your question is the assertion that "most of us dont log Found on our own caches, but log Attended on our own events"

Without statistics but based on my experience with cachers "most" of us don't log Attended on our own events.

A puritan may point out that you can't find something you hid but you can attend an event you have organized. I have been to many events where the cache owner did not attend because of last minute family obligation that came up. Since you can clearly not attend your events, it seems that you should log attended if you do manage to attend your event. I also see lots of events organized by a group of cachers. Often the owner is an account created just for the event. Should the cachers who actually planned and hosted the event not log attended on there account?

A non-puritan would wonder why you care whether or not someone logs their own cache or their own event. B)

The flaw in your question is the assertion that "most of us dont log Found on our own caches, but log Attended on our own events"

Without statistics but based on my experience with cachers "most" of us don't log Attended on our own events.

Thank you... I have made a correction.

(Even so, here it's common to log own events)

Edited by ruidealmeida

A puritan may point out that you can't find something you hid but you can attend an event you have organized. I have been to many events where the cache owner did not attend because of last minute family obligation that came up. Since you can clearly not attend your events, it seems that you should log attended if you do manage to attend your event. I also see lots of events organized by a group of cachers. Often the owner is an account created just for the event. Should the cachers who actually planned and hosted the event not log attended on there account?

A non-puritan would wonder why you care whether or not someone logs their own cache or their own event. B)

What he said.

A non-puritan would wonder why you care whether or not someone logs their own cache or their own event. :)

I'm not deffending either thing... not judging what is wrong or right (puritan or non-puritan)... just asking for opinions.

Thanks for yours... hummmm, which was? B)

I don't log my own caches as found- exceptions being adopted caches.

My one event I did not log as attended. I thought I might for a while then I just kind of forgot about it. If I did it now it would throw my milestones off by one.

I don't think that people that log their own caches will reverse the polarity of the poles, cause a rip in space/time, make my brown eyes blue, turn my smile up-side-down, ruffle my feathers, result in the homelessness of polar bears or make my Volvo misfire.

I might whisper and point at you at an event if you do this, but that's about it.

Some people choose to get excited about people that do this. I see these people at traffic lights with their sour expressions and wrinkled brows. These people die earlier and have gastric distress. These people have never put hot sauce on their peanut butter sandwich.

But if they feel that's valid use of their free time, so long as they don't bother me, I really don't hold it against them.

You have to decide if you want to log your own caches/events. Do it if you want or don't. Never look back. Accept that some people will whisper about you and point at you at events and go about your life.

I'd advise that logging a found on your own caches and posting a "First to Find" may cause drama amongst those people that enjoy being first finders. You may want to avoid this, or not- just be aware of the drama on the horizon if you do.

Love, luck and lollipops,

-M*

*But for the love of Pete, don't sign your forum posts. That's so 1998.

Edited by Castle Mischief

I log my events as "attended" mostly because I did attend them.

And just to fulfill some prophesy from above.....I don't log my caches as "found" because I know where they are hidden and therefore did not "find" them. The system clearly allows you to log your own caches as "found" but I find the practice a little cheesy.

A non-puritan would wonder why you care whether or not someone logs their own cache or their own event. :)

I'm not deffending either thing... not judging what is wrong or right (puritan or non-puritan)... just asking for opinions.

Thanks for yours... hummmm, which was? B)

For my own logs I am a puritan. I don't log finds on my own caches or caches that I've jointly hidden and have gotten some credit for in the Hidden By field. I don't log finds on caches hidden with a group where we used a sock puppet account either. The one event I co-hosted was owned by another cacher. I attended the event. If I had owned the event I would have attended as well.

For other people I am a non-puritan. I don't care whether or not an event owner logs their own events. I don't care if a cacher logs their own cache as well, though I may point this out to them as sometimes people log a find on their own cache in error and didn't realize it.

Why some dont log Found on our own caches, but log Attended on our own events?

What do you think?

Some do and some don't. I don't log attendeds because I already get the credit for hosting it. I log my own events with a note. Some people will reason that they attended the event, so why not log an attended? I have no argument with that line of reasoning. It's just not one I subscribe to.

Either way is fine.

What do you think?

I did and will log my own events, because an event is about "being there, meeting people, talk and socialize"

I don't log my own geocaches, because finding a container is about the hunt, the thrill of looking for something, solving a riddle, etc... Usually you don't have to find your own container, since you know exactly where it is. Even if they sometimes move quite a bit.

But on the other hand - Who cares? Is there any harm, if someone got only one geocaches and logs that one hundreds of times? I don't think you, and I wouldn't care.

An event is logged as "attended", and the owner attended it. It's so to speak not a found it log in the original sense.

Just my to Euro-Cent!

GermanSailor

I don't log events I attend. You can't "find" an event. I don't log what I didn't find. However, if you do log events for credit you might as well log your own events.

I can't think of any excuse for logging any cache you hid or helped hide, but events are not caches. If I ever lost a legitimate cache find to an unreasonable owner I would log a CITO event to fix it. Mine or someone else's wouldn't matter.

Why plan an event then not attend it?

Stuff happens. You get sick. A family member has an emergency. Your boss sends you out of town that weekend. You get a better offer.

I think he meant why not log that you attended even if you are the host. I agree with him. The key word is "attended." I don't look at logging what you did at the event as "credit." Credit for what? If you go to a party do you get "credit?"

The bigger question is why we log ANY caches?

I log very few. As long as they are in good shape and being found, there is really no need for an update from me and I couldn't care less about padding numbers.

It's about the adventure for me.

But...and playing the Devil's Advocate here...if everyone took that approach and logged very few of the caches they found, how would anyone know (without having a cache owner visit their cache almost weekly...if not more) that everything was ok and in good shape???

:);):huh:

I fully respect those that do not log...but I still appreciate the logs I get (either found, did not find...or needs maint)...even a TFTC is enought to at least suggest that the cache is still in place (be it just an assumption)...

Stuff happens. You get sick. A family member has an emergency. Your boss sends you out of town that weekend. You get a better offer.

I think he meant why not log that you attended even if you are the host. I agree with him. The key word is "attended." I don't look at logging what you did at the event as "credit." Credit for what? If you go to a party do you get "credit?"

Yeah...if you go to a party you get cake!!!

:):huh:

I like to keep the ones I've hosted and the ones I've attended separate. That way when I look at my stats I know how many different events I've attended without having to do subtraction. I know how many I've hosted and how many others I have attended.

I've never seen the point in getting a double count for one cache. (but I hear others do)

Yeah...if you go to a party you get cake!!!

:);)

Or a hangover..... :huh:

A non-puritan would wonder why you care whether or not someone logs their own cache or their own event. :huh:

Thanks for yours... hummmm, which was? :)

For my own logs I am a puritan. I don't log finds on my own caches or caches that I've jointly hidden and have gotten some credit for in the Hidden By field. I don't log finds on caches hidden with a group where we used a sock puppet account either. The one event I co-hosted was owned by another cacher. I attended the event. If I had owned the event I would have attended as well.

For other people I am a non-puritan. I don't care whether or not an event owner logs their own events. I don't care if a cacher logs their own cache as well, though I may point this out to them as sometimes people log a find on their own cache in error and didn't realize it.

Very good post Toz (I got the first part too). Very interesting. If I created an event and knew the location and did not have to use a GPS to find the location, I have not logged it as "attended" (ultra-purist I guess, but really thinking like BlueDeuce I suppose). Your reasoning is very well put and something I might consider in the future. Also agree on the "other people I am a non-puritan" part too.

What do you think?

I never log my own physical caches, I hid them and know where they are. Not even the ones that take some searching to find when I check on them, it has happened.

I log that I attended my events because I did attend it.

I am sure it has been said before, but I never got past the OP. ;)