New Maxwell House coffee containers

Coyote's Girl

Not sure what "new" containers you are referring to. If you mean the plastic ones with a snap-on cap... we don't recommend them. We've found a few here in the southeast and they are almost always wet inside, even if recently placed. So even though they have a wide opening and look they might hold plenty of swag, it will end up being soggy moldy swag. We found one hanging high up in a tree... and we still had to pour an inch of water out!

Better to drink the coffee you enjoy and purchase lock'n'lock containers or ammo cans.

Have these been around long enough to test in cache situations? How do they hold up? Do they keep water out? How much stuff do they hold? Is the opening a good size relative to the inside of the container? Because what I'm really getting at here is this: Is it worth switching brands for a few weeks to get my hands on one?

I'm not sure what container you're talking about, but I've hidden the plastic 1 lb coffee cans with the snap-on lid with good results.

You just have to choose your location wisely so that they're not directly in the weather.

I had one (now adopted out), a Snoogans seed pod I brought to AL from the GW4 event in TX, that I hid inside the hollow of a large tree that kept it dry and protected for two years, and I think it's still there.

I would not use them in locations where they are directly in the weather... every coffee can I have found that was exposed was either wet or moldy from having been wet.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I'm talking about the sort of double-snap push on lids I've seen advertised here lately. I didn't know L&L made coffee containers. I'm also thinking of picking up soy sauce buckets from the Chinese place where I used to work. I just don't know a place big enough to hide it that's far enough away from an existing cache.

I'm sceptical of the soy sauce containers, but I'd have to see pictures first. Some folks will tell you that with enough bleach you can get the scent of food off a container. I'm sceptical of these claims, but I'd have to have my consciousness transferred into the body of a possum before I could give you a definitive answer.*

*I'm also sceptical of people that wink, anything sold via an infomercial or on the floor of a civic center, the existence of the color chartreuse and organizations that attempt to combine words of oppositional thought into their titles.

I just don't know a place big enough to hide it that's far enough away from an existing cache.

I'm seeing lots of green spaces... B)

ed8fd9d4-0154-4ab5-9447-54fd44fa1e3e.jpg

Regarding your opening question, many folks use coffee containers. To date, I haven't found a single one whose contents were dry. If you found an appropriate location, such as inside a cupboard, in an air conditioned house, they'd probably work fine. Outside? Maybe not so much. :)

Given enough time, plastic will break. Lock-n-Locks last a few years, tupperware/rubbermaid almost as long. Snack containers don't last any time.

Plastic food containers were designed to be used in a climate controlled environment until used and then discarded/recycled. They are not designed for the hot/cold humid/dry changes that occur in nature. They do not respond well to rocks or large sticks being dropped on the lid.

To answer the question... not good for a long term container. I would suggest replacing it annually if not more.

Ammo cans can rust if left in moist places.

Aluminum is a good extended term material if you can keep the moisture out.

Regarding your opening question, many folks use coffee containers. To date, I haven't found a single one whose contents were dry. If you found an appropriate location, such as inside a cupboard, in an air conditioned house, they'd probably work fine. Outside? Maybe not so much. :huh:

If you use a band of good quality electrical tape around the top edge of the can it will make a very tight and secure seal. :)

As other respondents stated, many containers CAN be used. Doesn't mean its a good idea. I once found a cache that was a strip mint container with the cover removed. Yes, the log sheet was just hanging there. It worked because it was 12 feet inside a drainage culvert well above rthe high water mark. You can also dig a ditch with a teaspoon. Personally, I'd select a backhoe for a ditch and a container with a flexible rubber seal, but that's just me.

I was leaning toward Super Glue... ;)

There's an idea for an April Fools' Cache, published on April 1, of course....I'd love to be hiding and watching the FTFers struggle to get to the "log" which is in the super-glued shut container! Then I'd give them the real cache....yeah evil, am I not? Won't happen though - I can't run fast enough!