FTF as a gift?

drallewatsch

No, there are no "rules" about First to Finds - Groundspeak does not have any special rules about what is accepted as a FTF.

Different cachers have different opinions about the importance of a FTF.

My opinion is simply that the first person to find the cache and sign the log book is the first to find the cache. If the cache owner wanted one specific person to find the cache first then they should have given them the co-ordinates before the cache was published, they could then have hunted it all by themselves, signed the log and claimed FTF... which (again, IMHO) would be pretty pointless because what fun is there in a FTF race if you're the only one in the race? B)

Anyway...

I'm sure some other opinions will be posted soon.

(Congratulations on your STFTWRFTF*)

MrsB :D

*Second To Find That Was Really FTF :)

Edited by The Blorenges

Hello,

I logged a cache as second, where the owner has whished not to log before a special person (as a gift) had logged it. What`s about the FTF. Are there any rules for such a situation?

Greetings drallewatsch

It's about silliness. The rule is that when a cache is published it is available to everybody. If someone wants to "gift" the FTF to someone he should send him the coords before the cache is published.

What self respecting FTF hound would want such a "gift" anyway? It kind of cheapens the FTF race if everybody else in the race lets you win.

I was just reading the logs from the cache in question with amusement. From what I gather you found the cache first, so you are FTF. Period. The other person didn't find it first, so no matter what she says, she is not FTF. Being that FTF is not an official stat anybody can claim anything they want, so if the second to find wants to claim FTF she is allowed that delusion.

I've done this a couple of times, when I had something I wanted to pass along to another cacher I put it in a new hide and sent him the coords before publishing it.

Once a geocacher left his PDA in my car; rather than taking it to him I put it in an ammo box with some other stuff, hid it, emailed him the coords and waited on him to find it before I published it as a regular cache.

Since he was the only one with the coords he did not claim FTF but did sign the log (that would be like 'winning' a one-man race!), and I told the STF that he was in fact FTF when he logged his find.

I've done similar when I had a special geocoin I wanted to give someone.

Normally, however, the first signature after publication is the FTF.

Common practice is NOT to find the cache until the "honoree" has logged it in the book and online.

Now that you have logged the new cache, even if you signed on second line, YOU are still the FTF.

Its not in Geocaching.com rules, but can get you in a bit of trouble with local cachers

Common practice around here is NOT to "gift" and FTF to an "honoree". Attempting to to do so will get you in a bit of trouble with local cachers.

If the cache is one that was hidden in honor of a particular cacher, perhaps to commemorate a milestone, the cache owner may include text on the cache page or in a note requesting that others leave the FTF for the person the cache was placed for. In that case, of course, the "nice" thing to do is to honor that.

But to be the first one to find the cache, but claim to be the second to find so that the real second-to-finer can claim FTF is totally bogus. If you found it first, you found it first!

What self respecting FTF hound would want such a "gift" anyway? It kind of cheapens the FTF race if everybody else in the race lets you win.

Now I feel cheapened. B) Well only slightly more so.

There is only one kind of FTF that matters, it is the FTF when there are 4 or 5 DNFs by local caching personalities. Then there is the bragging rights and the right to rub noses in it and start feuds and such. :) The rest of it is just fluff, sure it is a nice surprise to be a FTF, but it hardly the thing to build a life around.

Hello,

I logged a cache as second, where the owner has whished not to log before a special person (as a gift) had logged it. What`s about the FTF. Are there any rules for such a situation?

Greetings drallewatsch

You can kindly allow them to be First to Log (online) sort of a nit picking, but fun distinction for when someone else aces you out of a FTF.

Locally we love to play that card. "First to log, the FTF must still have his leg stuck in that bear trap. Sorry about that.".

<remove moderator hat>

Isn't handing an FTF to a cacher kinda like letting your 11 year old niece win at scrabble?

I can understand the reasoning, but the idea is that it is a race and the FTF goes to the person that gets there first. Is there value to being the winner if you have to ask everyone else to wait at the starting line?

Interesting. I remember this coming up about a year ago and the resounding response was "why can't you just wait?" and "it's just one cache, why can't you just let them have the FTF?" or "it's a sign of respect and honor".

Funny how opinion seems to shift back and forth. Or maybe the people that supported the "gift" FTF haven't posted yet- or don't post anymore.

<remove moderator hat>

Isn't handing an FTF to a cacher kinda like letting your 11 year old niece win at scrabble?

I can understand the reasoning, but the idea is that it is a race and the FTF goes to the person that gets there first. Is there value to being the winner if you have to ask everyone else to wait at the starting line?

Maybe it was an 11 year old (or younger) that they asked to get FTF.

When I was caching about 50 miles South of my Home I ran into several caches that the owner specifically said he wanted "So and So" to get the FTF if anyone else tried to claim it he would delete their post finda was funny, guess the only reason it was funny cause I was not part of the ones that go after FTFs in that area and it was after it had been out for about 4 months.

Scubasonic

<remove moderator hat>

Maybe it was an 11 year old (or younger) that they asked to get FTF.

Well with the cache the OP was referring to, the pseudo FTF's daughter commented. Kind of rules that out, I hope.

When I was caching about 50 miles South of my Home I ran into several caches that the owner specifically said he wanted "So and So" to get the FTF if anyone else tried to claim it he would delete their post finda was funny, guess the only reason it was funny cause I was not part of the ones that go after FTFs in that area and it was after it had been out for about 4 months.

Scubasonic

I think that I see your point. That IS funny. :)

Scubasonic

Would he still delete your logs if you promised not to claim FTF?

Scubasonic

Would he still delete your logs if you promised not to claim FTF?

Probably not but I found it way after the whole FTF thing so don't know

SS

Edited by Scubasonic

Common practice is NOT to find the cache until the "honoree" has logged it in the book and online.

Now that you have logged the new cache, even if you signed on second line, YOU are still the FTF.

Its not in Geocaching.com rules, but can get you in a bit of trouble with local cachers

I've never heard of such a practice. To me, it seems quite uncommon, weird and unfriendly. I would not think well of a cacher who would place such strange requirements on a FTF log. There are much better ways to honor other cachers.

I've never heard of such a practice. To me, it seems quite uncommon, weird and unfriendly. I would not think well of a cacher who would place such strange requirements on a FTF log. There are much better ways to honor other cachers.

Why not just make the cache name in their honor and leave it at that FTF is whoever finds and signs the log book first.

ScubaSonic

Why not just make the cache name in their honor and leave it at that FTF is whoever finds and signs the log book first.

ScubaSonic

Gosh, lighten up! It's been suggested that someone can provide coordinates before publishing to allow for a FTF before publishing. After that, let folks roll, but perhaps with a note on the cache page about the sequence of events to avoid anyone getting snarky over not finding an empty log.

No one here has held back on two tribute caches that have cropped up locally and it hasn't bothered me a bit. I personally would rather be tenth to find "racing" a bunch of other cachers than to have everyone leave their GPSs in their caching bags until I logged the FTF. I'm just happy to earn another smiley, but maybe I'm easily amused.

I happened to be the FTF on the first one (LBK and the EVOL BUG), but I wasn't the FTL (first to look).

The second one (LBK's Cache) posted Sunday evening only 0.6 miles from home just before my family and I had to leave for a previous engagement. Now it's Tuesday and I still haven't had fifteen minutes to run down the trail to it. It's definitely been nicer to read the logs than it would have been to log the FTF.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

I know here in the Midlands that in addition to ammo cans for every 1000 finds someone will place a special cache for that person and give them the FTF. If I can get one I'm happy, but I'll never lose sleep. And the hider has the right to give the coordinates out pre-publishing. So the hider should have done that there to ensure that person was FTF. Once the cache is published it's everyones game.

If the hider is unhappy, they can just hide another cache and let that person be FTF pre-publication or also have their friend log it as FTF. Geocaching.com does not track FTF's, and the third party stats just do what you tell them. You can go log every cache you have found, every event you attended, and every cache you own as FTF in GSAK, and most people would never notice.

I am probably guilty of being a "FTF hound", so here is my take on this.

A "gifted ftf" sucks. I see them from time to time here, and I have actually gone after a few of them, and "stolen" the ftf from the intended. This was an oversight on my part, since my new cache notifications on my cell phone come to me via text, and all I have is the distance from my home and the GC ID, which I then use to get coordinates via textmarks. I never even see the cache description (usually) until I get done finding the cache. SOooo...I have "stolen" a few ftfs from people who specifically asked that it be "reserved" for a specific cacher. Oh well. My bad. He shoulda stayed up later (or whatever).

I guess I still yearn for the old days when we pretty much just did whatever we wanted. Ok...i STILL do "whatever I want" but that's just me, an ornery guy with a bad attitude and authority issues. It's always easier to get forgiveness than permission. If the cache is out there...and you like being FTF, go get it. Rules are for sissies.

Well, then. You wouldn't like us downstate cachers then, I guess we're "unfriendly" in your eyes.

Though thats hard to figure since we honor a lot of cachers down here.

To each their own; in this neck of the woods ITS common practice

Hello,

Greetings drallewatsch

It's about silliness. The rule is that when a cache is published it is available to everybody. If someone wants to "gift" the FTF to someone he should send him the coords before the cache is published.

But using that logic, will give ire to those who get angry that cachers are given privy to locations prior to publishing.

Its a no win situation to some.

Generally, when I see a cache published near me, I check out what it is prior to heading out, so I know what I am getting myself into. If its "normal" I go for it. If its an "Honor" cache then I wait.

But again, I and those around me are "unfriendly"

Interesting. I remember this coming up about a year ago and the resounding response was "why can't you just wait?" and "it's just one cache, why can't you just let them have the FTF?" or "it's a sign of respect and honor".

Funny how opinion seems to shift back and forth. Or maybe the people that supported the "gift" FTF haven't posted yet- or don't post anymore.

I support the "gift" if the honoree grabs it right away. But if it lay dormant for a few days then I see no reason not to go for it. BUT, and this is a big but. Why would you want to raise the ire of your local caching community? I have seen many blow ups at much worse "offenses."

So, to me and my ilk in this "Unfriendly" part of the woods, we go with the flow.

I support the "gift" if the honoree grabs it right away. But if it lay dormant for a few days then I see no reason not to go for it. BUT, and this is a big but. Why would you want to raise the ire of your local caching community? I have seen many blow ups at much worse "offenses."

So, to me and my ilk in this "Unfriendly" part of the woods, we go with the flow.

That was pretty much the argument as I remember it. The counter to that was that the local community was being very clique-ish and exclusive and playing with rules that don't exist. To some people, especially a hypothetical new cacher that might have just scored his first FTF, that may seem unfriendly.

Well, then. You wouldn't like us downstate cachers then, I guess we're "unfriendly" in your eyes.

While it is very nice and friendly to place a cache to honor another cacher, the FTF is not part of the honor unless the coordinates are given to the honoree before the cache is published. To become upset that someone other than the person for whom the cache is named claims FTF is plain odd and not nice. I think that it is friendlier to be happy for whomever is the first person to find the cache. Whatever. I'll keep your odd custom in mind when we cache downstate. Don't want any irrate cachers on my tail! You're right that I wouldn't feel real friendly toward people who are upset with me for no good reason.

There's a cacher who lives near me and puts out caches for her hubby as gifts from time to time. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who waits until he's logged them before going out. They have names like "hubby's valentines surprise" :blink:. No way would I go running out w my flashlight for a FTF attempt ;). Neither does anyone else from what I've seen.

Edited by Opalblade

Yep, I guess I'm another one of the "unfriendly" ones since I honor tribute cache requests. The last time I remember this coming up it was specifically about leaving FTF for a local Long Island cacher. People from far away lands were furious, a couple even vowing to make a trip of hundreds of miles just to spoil the FTF if they could. What was funny was this: No one here would CARE if an outsider was FTF, either by accident or on purpose. The tribute request is just that, a request. Yeah, we have some local customs, but mainly we are an easygoing group of folks who play a silly game. After the party, everyone moves on to something else.

Oh, yeah, to anyone who is terrified that I might honor them with a request to save FTF for them on a new cache... Don't worry! I won't do it! We pretty much know the people we do that for.

Public Notice #369:

Anyone considering giving Team Cotati a 'gift' and the best you can come up with is a FTF on some geocache...don't bother, ok? :blink:

But now I remember that I was tempted to ask on EVERY NEW CACHE I hid that the FTF be saved for you, or whoever it was that made the same comment on the previous thread ;)

Yep, I guess I'm another one of the "unfriendly" ones since I honor tribute cache requests...

Okay, just to be clear- it's not "unfriendly" to honor the request.

...Its not in Geocaching.com rules, but can get you in a bit of trouble with local cachers

That- the implication that not following the local unwritten rules will somehow "get you in trouble" with locals. THAT is unfriendly.

What is this trouble? Dirty looks? Log deletion? Nasty words? Unspoken passive-aggressive angst? Will they whisper and point at you at events? Will you be shunned?*

Are there other unwritten "house rules" that a person should be on the look out for in such an area? Rolling the log in a micro counter-clockwise? Facing the clasp of an ammo can to the west? Garmin users can only cache on odd days and Delorme users on even days?

*Shun the non believer! Shuuuuuuuuuun...

Edited by Castle Mischief

i dont normally put anything special in for a FTF just a few good items. However on one of my recent caches it had our family travel slugs that we are racing against each other and to ensure ftf could move them on we put some special stuff into the small container for FTF, batteries, ready made 35mm with magnets and a few other bits and bobs and they just took the cache so fair play to them and a thank you to them to show them my appreication.

If the name of the cache is in honor of someone, and in the description it mentioned WHY it was in honor of them, then yeah, I'd let them get it first.

Round here the FTF'ers sit on their log until the 'rush' is over to try to entice more people to come get it. Usually I or another will go by the next day, log in 3rd through 5th and then make up some story as to why the others haven't logged in yet...and the the FTF'ers make that story that I just made look boring as they tell the hazards they threw at each other to stop (or attain) the FTF.

Yep, I guess I'm another one of the "unfriendly" ones since I honor tribute cache requests...

Okay, just to be clear- it's not "unfriendly" to honor the request.

...Its not in Geocaching.com rules, but can get you in a bit of trouble with local cachers

That- the implication that not following the local unwritten rules will somehow "get you in trouble" with locals. THAT is unfriendly.

What is this trouble? Dirty looks? Log deletion? Nasty words? Unspoken passive-aggressive angst? Will they whisper and point at you at events? Will you be shunned?*

Are there other unwritten "house rules" that a person should be on the look out for in such an area? Rolling the log in a micro counter-clockwise? Facing the clasp of an ammo can to the west? Garmin users can only cache on odd days and Delorme users on even days?

*Shun the non believer! Shuuuuuuuuuun...

Well, if you feel that the above is silly or whatever, way stay out of this neck of the woods.

How's that for Unfriendly?

Honestly, it will get a local shunning around here.

Yep, I guess I'm another one of the "unfriendly" ones since I honor tribute cache requests. The last time I remember this coming up it was specifically about leaving FTF for a local Long Island cacher. People from far away lands were furious, a couple even vowing to make a trip of hundreds of miles just to spoil the FTF if they could. What was funny was this: No one here would CARE if an outsider was FTF, either by accident or on purpose. The tribute request is just that, a request. Yeah, we have some local customs, but mainly we are an easygoing group of folks who play a silly game. After the party, everyone moves on to something else.

Oh, yeah, to anyone who is terrified that I might honor them with a request to save FTF for them on a new cache... Don't worry! I won't do it! We pretty much know the people we do that for.

That sums up the UNFRIENDLY customs on NYC and LI cachers.

That sums up the UNFRIENDLY customs on NYC and LI cachers.

So, you're only unfriendly to EACH OTHER you're saying?

I'm glad you brought this up, as I just awarded an EXCLUSIVE ATTEMPT AT A FTF to a cacher a few days ago. Did you just happen to find my listing or something? :anibad:

I'm only a 28 finder, so I won't be surprised if someone "calls me out" for breakin' da rules.

-----

I own 4 caches.

As I published #4, I listed right on the cache listing, "FTF gets an exclusive attempt at a FTF on a future cache hide of mine"

The #5 listing is already hidden & posted, is just not activated (Im waiting for the snow to cover my footprints)

What I've done with #5: It will be posted as a Mystery Cache, (with GZ posted as a hidden waypoint)

It will be a regular, published listing BUT, only one person will have the coordinates for a total of 24 hours. Once those 24 hours are up, the coordinates will be disclosed to the public and it's fair game.

Because it's a mystery cache, I can publish the listing and not have to worry about a continuity error in the publish date and the FTF date.

I didn't see anything in the the rules saying I couldnt do this, I've found nothing that states it being unethical.

The EXCLUSIVE ATTEMPT was part of his FTF reward, as a way to motivate people to get out and do some winter caching in sub-zero tempedratures :P.

Once I email him the coord's, it's up to him if he wants to grab it.

I'm glad you brought this up, as I just awarded an EXCLUSIVE ATTEMPT AT A FTF to a cacher a few days ago. Did you just happen to find my listing or something? :)

I'm only a 28 finder, so I won't be surprised if someone "calls me out" for breakin' da rules.

-----

I own 4 caches.

As I published #4, I listed right on the cache listing, "FTF gets an exclusive attempt at a FTF on a future cache hide of mine"

The #5 listing is already hidden & posted, is just not activated (Im waiting for the snow to cover my footprints)

What I've done with #5: It will be posted as a Mystery Cache, (with GZ posted as a hidden waypoint)

It will be a regular, published listing BUT, only one person will have the coordinates for a total of 24 hours. Once those 24 hours are up, the coordinates will be disclosed to the public and it's fair game.

Because it's a mystery cache, I can publish the listing and not have to worry about a continuity error in the publish date and the FTF date.

I didn't see anything in the the rules saying I couldnt do this, I've found nothing that states it being unethical.

The EXCLUSIVE ATTEMPT was part of his FTF reward, as a way to motivate people to get out and do some winter caching in sub-zero tempedratures :P.

Once I email him the coord's, it's up to him if he wants to grab it.

This reward wouldn't motivate me, but I'm not a big FTF hound. I have no problem with it, though. You will give the one cacher a 24 hour notice before hand and, then, when the cache is published, all are welcome to look for it. That is the way it should be. Once a cache is published, EVERYONE should be welcome to find it.

What I've done with #5: It will be posted as a Mystery Cache, (with GZ posted as a hidden waypoint) It will be a regular, published listing BUT, only one person will have the coordinates for a total of 24 hours. Once those 24 hours are up, the coordinates will be disclosed to the public and it's fair game. Because it's a mystery cache, I can publish the listing and not have to worry about a continuity error in the publish date and the FTF date.

This guideline should cover that:

"The information needed to solve the puzzle must be available to the general caching community..."

So giving the coordinates to one person will not be in compliance with the guidelines. If you insist on "gifting" a FTF give the coordinates to the "lucky" individual before publication, because it won't be publishable as you currently are planning.

Edited by briansnat

I'll figure something out one way or another.

My plan was to initially publish it as a mystery, and explain the provisions that were awarded to the FTF of the last cache.

Everyone had an equal opportunity at the last cache hide, so based on the provisions of THIS hide... They had their chance but they missed out.

After 24 hours, the cache would be changed from a Mystery to a Traditional.

Next week when this all plays out, I'll update this thread.

I'll figure something out one way or another.

My plan was to initially publish it as a mystery, and explain the provisions that were awarded to the FTF of the last cache.

Everyone had an equal opportunity at the last cache hide, so based on the provisions of THIS hide... They had their chance but they missed out.

After 24 hours, the cache would be changed from a Mystery to a Traditional.

Next week when this all plays out, I'll update this thread.

Changing cache types is not possible without reviewer intervention and most reviewers will tell you that if you need to change the type you should submit a new cache page because it's a different experience.