Garmin Nuvi 205w help

Mouse51180

I was wondering if anyone has a Nuvi 205w GPS. I got one for christmas and have just started getting into the geocaching.

I have found 10 caches so far, but some of them were by luck (thanks to my wifes good eye).

Im curious if any other Nuvi owners have any suggestions. Sometimes my gps seems to be right on target and other times it seems to be off. B)

I am currently stuck on 3 GC that are driving me nuts because I cant find them even though my GPS says I should be standing right on it.

Thanks for any help...

P.S. The GC I am having problems finding are:

GC1YKYM, GC1PM8X, and GC1YZFB

just in case your curious... :)

In most cases your GPS will put you within 10-15 feet at best...if you're closer than that it's just luck. Keep in mind, the hider could also be off by 10-15 feet, which means you could be as far as 30 feet away!

Once you get to about 20 feet, stop looking at the GPS and start looking around for places where a geocaches could be hidden.

GC1YKYM - it's a 3-star difficulty which means it's not a lamp skirt hide. Also, the three cachers that have found the cache had additional hints. If this were a competition, I'd call them cheaters.

GC1PM8X - a 2-star difficulty. Cachers are making references to "Cedar". Might be a piece of cedar log with a micro container at one end.

GC1YZFB - this is an Earth cache, essentially, a virtual with an educational element involved. There is no log sheet to sign in. Read the webpage and follow the logging requirements.

GC1YKYM - it's a 3-star difficulty which means it's not a lamp skirt hide. Also, the three cachers that have found the cache had additional hints. If this were a competition, I'd call them cheaters.

GC1PM8X - a 2-star difficulty. Cachers are making references to "Cedar". Might be a piece of cedar log with a micro container at one end.

GC1YZFB - this is an Earth cache, essentially, a virtual with an educational element involved. There is no log sheet to sign in. Read the webpage and follow the logging requirements.

Thanks for the help...I logged the virtual cache. I didnt realize an earth cache didnt have a log book. Bummer...I like signing me name. :-)

As for the Cedar one...I kept walking over a big (im guessing cedar log). Probably walked right on top of the cache looking more for a tuperwear container or ammo box. Will hit that one again at lunch today.

I have had my nuvi 205w for a year now. I have found that it is not as ideal for my Geocaching as my GPSMap 76 and GPSMap 60CSx. I have tried pedestrian mode and did not see an improvement. I have had it get me to many P+G caches but not ones off the beaten path. I use my 205w in conjunction with my hand held units. I use the 205w to get me in the general local and the hand held unit to get me to the final gz. Please do not let that turn you off the 205w. Over the period of the year, I have found it invaluable. I treat it as a tool in my caching tool kit.

Guy

I have had many successes with my 205 nuvi i just can't seem to find a way to delete all of my old caches placed on it. I even tried reseting the entire thing but they are still on there who can help me get these off my gps.

Did you try :

1. connect Nuvi to computer

2. explore the Nuvi drive

3. Go into \GARMIN\GPX folder

4. Remove the GPX files that are in the format GCxxxx.gpx

Before you delete them, I highly recommend making a backup somewhere else first. Just in case.