PN-40 and projecting waypoints

scvmeat

I looked through the manual and the online resources on the DeLorme site and wikis, and I am unable to find this. I am sure I am overlooking something, but I can't figure out how to get my PN-40 to project a waypoint. Maybe I am not using the correct verbiage, but any help is greatly appreciated!

So far, so good with my PN-40!!!

I looked through the manual and the online resources on the DeLorme site and wikis, and I am unable to find this. I am sure I am overlooking something, but I can't figure out how to get my PN-40 to project a waypoint. Maybe I am not using the correct verbiage, but any help is greatly appreciated!

The requests are in on the DeLorme forums, but the capability is not yet built in. No word on whether this is part of the firmware update currently in development either.

The requests are in on the DeLorme forums, but the capability is not yet built in. No word on whether this is part of the firmware update currently in development either.

So I guess I should learn to do it with a good 'ol compass, huh? Time to start searching!

:rolleyes:

So I guess I should learn to do it with a good 'ol compass, huh? Time to start searching!

You can kind of do it with the measuring tool, but it is not fast nor very accurate. I'm hoping for it to be a real consideration for the next update but I'm not holding my breath either.

Another way to do it is to go to the map page and observe the bearing and distance indicators in the upper right corner while moving the cursor. Once you've got the cursor at the bearing and distance you need for the projection, press the pushpin button and mark it as a waypoint.

Great, . . . except for that switching units of measure thing; boy isn't that convenient?

switching from feet to 10ths of mi. after 1/10 mi..

I also hope that gets sorted out soon, real soon!

Real projection would be a real boon for the commercial customers, as well as us

real consumers.

Norm

With the resources DeLorme has devoted to making the PN-40 a geocaching GPS, I, too, have a hard time believing anything other than that they'll get a decent projection feature into the upcoming 2.8 firmware. I've had that expectation for a few firmware versions, though, so we'll see. I'm sure Chip would say that they've had higher priorities to include--an argument that does hold water for me--but it seems like waypoint projection would be a relatively easy feature to implement.

. . . it seems like waypoint projection would be a relatively easy feature to implement.

I started delving into PN-40 wpt projection and found a potential conflict right off the bat using the path I had taken. It probably had to do with the specialized way Geocache waypoints are handled, but frankly I have forgotten. That was a while back. :rolleyes:

Great, . . . except for that switching units of measure thing; boy isn't that convenient?

Real projection would be a real boon for the commercial customers, as well as us

real consumers.

Norm

I guess I've been fortunate that the only geocaching related projections I've had to do were less than .1 mile. I've done it several times with the 40 and it's put me within 15 to 20 ft of the cache both times.

I too hope it's properly implemented in 2.8. I'm with Embra, how hard can it be to add?

Can someone give us newbies a quick and dirty explanation of what waypoint projection is and why it is useful?

Some multi stage and/or puzzle caches require the finder to project a waypoint from one set of coordinates to get to the next stage or the final cache. You are given (or must figure out) a bearing and distance. Most Garmins have a feature which allows you to simply enter the bearing and distance and it will then route you to that location. The Delormes don't yet have that feature.

Can someone give us newbies a quick and dirty explanation of what waypoint projection is and why it is useful?

Some multi stage and/or puzzle caches require the finder to project a waypoint from one set of coordinates to get to the next stage or the final cache. You are given (or must figure out) a bearing and distance. Most Garmins have a feature which allows you to simply enter the bearing and distance and it will then route you to that location. The Delormes don't yet have that feature.

Thanks! Makes sense to me now :rolleyes:

Edited by achtung6

real consumers.

Norm

It really isn't as tough as it appears considering its 528 feet to every tenth of a mile.

Some navigational multi-caches, like some of mine, use projections (bearing and distance), triangulation, reciprocal bearings. And I may mix it up with mils instead of degrees, meters, UTM, elevation gain, etc.

real consumers.

Norm

It really isn't as tough as it appears considering its 528 feet to every tenth of a mile.

That depends on your "units" and where you live. I am blessed with being a Canadian who learned to measure during the 80s when the school system couldn't make up its mind how well to support Metric and which my parents were completely clueless about. So within a short distance from myself I think in Feet because they are smaller than Metres. I know how much 15 feet is, but my mind won't keep track of how far 5 metres is. Above that I think in the nice even Metric system where I don't have to guess how many of this are in how many of that. So I have no idea for the most part how much .3 miles is. I had the same problem when it was in Kilometres though. Mostly I just wish we could set the threshold for when it starts showing smaller units. 528 feet is still more meaningful to me than .1 miles.

real consumers.

Norm

I rarely take a calculator into the field to convert 802 feet into tenths of a mile. I'm really itching to do GCZX15 but unless I take my ThinkPad with me so I can do projections in TopoUSA (the cache is about 170 miles from home, and don't want to have to stagger the cache over a half-dozen trips), it's a pipe dream until we get projection in the '40 firmware.

real consumers.

Norm

I rarely take a calculator into the field to convert 802 feet into tenths of a mile. I'm really itching to do GCZX15 but unless I take my ThinkPad with me so I can do projections in TopoUSA (the cache is about 170 miles from home, and don't want to have to stagger the cache over a half-dozen trips), it's a pipe dream until we get projection in the '40 firmware.

Well off the top of the head that's between .15 and .16 :) In the grand scheme of geocaching, that's about as close as you need it. The difference between the 2 is 52.8 feet.

I understand the convenience of having the project ahead, I've learned to work around it until when and if it happens. I just got used to doing it when working with the Meridian.

Oh, if you're carrying your phone with you, you do have a built in calc if you need precision.

Edited by TotemLake

real consumers.

Norm

Try the simple 2 step method.

Step 1 - Set a waypoint from where you will be starting out and do a go to for that waypoint. Head off in the direction that you need to go. Watch your GPSr and when you are 500 feet away from your starting point move laterally to the bearing that is 180° off of the heading you need to be on. If your heading is supposed to be 100° the n the bearing to your starting point should read 280°. Step 2 - Set a new waypoint at this spot and then do a go to for the new point and go the required 302 feet on the heading you need. When you GPSr says you are 302 feet from the second point you set, you will be 802 feet from the first point you set.

John

Try the simple 2 step method.

Step 1 - Set a waypoint from where you will be starting out and do a go to for that waypoint. Head off in the direction that you need to go. Watch your GPSr and when you are 500 feet away from your starting point move laterally to the bearing that is 180° off of the heading you need to be on. If your heading is supposed to be 100° the n the bearing to your starting point should read 280°. Step 2 - Set a new waypoint at this spot and then do a go to for the new point and go the required 302 feet on the heading you need. When you GPSr says you are 302 feet from the second point you set, you will be 802 feet from the first point you set.

Not so easy when you're in a very dense neighborhood along a river and doing this will place you in someone's living room or in a very icy bath.

Duh...!

Wouldn't it be much easier to do the cache by just borrowing a Garmin from someone???????

It's mind boggling what some people are willing to "settle for" ..........

Caches requiring projections are pretty rare in my region, so it's not a critical feature for me. If I don't find every cache in existence, I'll still be able to sleep at night. I'd rather "settle for" not having projection and having all the other features that drew me to the PN-40 (especially with the price it's being sold at now) than giving up those features just to get projection.

I did have another cache which I was able to successfully project, but it was a one-shot "from this point, look on this bearing at this distance" and there were no obstructions; a $20 Silva would have gotten me the same results.