Found a Bunny while caching

fyerwatirs

Title says it all...We were heading back in a local park where it had been lightly snowing, with a good coat of snow already on the ground. We make it back to the pavilion and I see a large white rabbit sitting there... wow great pic opportunity. I lay down in the snow army crawl from about 30 yards out to within 10 feet. I knew then something was wrong. No wild bunny would have let me get that close. e99c24e2-3f7c-453a-85b6-ea80ac056ad5.jpg

0f6c1379-2b89-4bf9-b733-3c62467566ee.jpg

So the wife and daughter come up and lay down while I go get the truck. The bunny makes his way to my wife and her fluffy white hat then offers no resistance when she picked him up. 8a42c022-2cb7-426d-93d7-3272e854bd0a.jpg

His nails were groomed and white rabbits that big are not normal for this part of Indiana. We tracked his trail and it lead to the parking lot, right up to where a car had been parked earlier. Yes that is right some "expletive" left a house bunny to fend for its self in the middle of winter in a wildlife preserve. Well, we dropped it off at the shelter last night and talked to them this morning. We have no way of taking care of it, but the shelter says it is pretty booked up and may not be able to keep it. Now, we did not save it from the cold to have it destroyed, and if the shelter can not keep it, then we will have a bunny for Christmas... not sure how I feel about that one but better than the alternative. Just wanted to share our crazy story about a bunny.

Edited by fyerwatirs
It seems you have successfully completed stage one. Excellent. :rolleyes:
:D

I was thinking of how to say essentially the same thing, but nowhere near as funny as the way you said it!

No one wants to eat a PET bunny! Not funny.

Now, if the OP would post the pictures on the Mid-West forums, they might get a kind cacher that would love to have that bunny for a pet. I know from when we were living in Indiana, there are a lot of farms and rural towns that would be great homes for that one.

Shirley~

I was thinking of how to say essentially the same thing, but nowhere near as funny as the way you said it!

Now, if the OP would post the pictures on the Mid-West forums, they might get a kind cacher that would love to have that bunny for a pet. I know from when we were living in Indiana, there are a lot of farms and rural towns that would be great homes for that one.

Shirley~

At the time that the animal was captured, it wasn't a pet.

Congratulations on possibly saving the rabbit's life. Most likely it would have perished if you hadn't grabbed it. At least now it has a chance for a new home where it will be cared for. I have a geocaching animal rescue story of my own. It was yesterday when I was on my way home from a geocaching adventure that I spotted a dog dodging traffic on the 210 freeway in north San Bernardino. I doubt that he would have lasted very long as traffic was fairly heavy. I did a quick park and grab and brought him home. Unfortunately, there were problems with my dogs and I eventually took him to the shelter, where hopefully his owners will find him.

;)

Are you kidding?!? Did you see how FAT that guy was?

Besides...he's only a pet if you know his name... :D

viannen_95.gif His name is "GEO-BUNNY TB"! viannen_94.gif

(Now you can't even think about eating him. :D )

Shirley~

;)

Shirley~

Maybe his name is "Stu".

;)

Shirley~

Maybe his name is "Stu".

Or.... Harvey!

Edited by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders)
It seems you have successfully completed stage one. Excellent. :D

Shirley~

Surely you can't be serious... (Ted Striker: sorry, had to do it)

You lose your love for cuddly bunnies when you grow up shoveling bunny sh poop from under the hutches and treating infected bunny ears and feeding the darn things. Yeah, we raised rabbits. Lots of rabbits. I still love to eat rabbits, but save me from raising the things.

Interesting that folks want to 'rescue' the bunny but don't want to raise the thing... they immediately start looking for someone else to do it! :rolleyes:

As to the name, my sisters felt the same way... if they got attached to one and gave it a name they wouldn't eat it. Un-named bunnies were fine! ;)

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler
Interesting that folks want to 'rescue' the bunny but don't want to raise the thing... they immediately start looking for someone else to do it! :rolleyes:

So they should just have left it out there to freeze? ;)

I suppose since I can't get rid of famine single-handedly, I shouldn't bother donating to the local food bank. :D back to you.

A few suggestions for re-homing a bunny.

You could call a local feed store and see if they will let you post an ad on their bulleting board.

You could contact the local 4H clubs and see if they want to take in a bunny

You could place an ad on Craigslist for "free PET bunny"

In all three instances make sure they know it's a PET bunny and not for food. When I re-home stray cats I always include a provision that I can visit the cat in a month or so to make sure it's being cared for properly.

That poor bunny is lucky to have been found by you. It likely had never had to deal with the snow before and probably had no survival skills. Pet rabbits bond to people and, as exampled in this thread, not all people would be kind to a rabbit.

Unfortunately, in economic down times, pets suffer. It's probable that the rabbit had a nice home and family but they had to move and couldn't keep the rabbit. "Setting it free" was horrible but from the rabbits perspective it's probably better than making it into dinner.

So they should just have left it out there to freeze? ;)

They don't freeze... else there would be no bunnies in cold climates.

I suppose since I can't get rid of famine single-handedly, I shouldn't bother donating to the local food bank. :D back to you.

Depends on what is more important to you... keeping a pet bunny alive or feeding a hungry family. It's good nutritious food. Clean it and donate it to the local food bank to feed a hungry human. :D

Google "Hunters for the hungry" and your state name. You will find a list of processors in your area who take donated food and game animals, process them and donate them to food banks to feed the hungry.

This does not appear to be a wild animal.

Depends on what is more important to you... keeping a pet bunny alive or feeding a hungry family. It's good nutritious food. Clean it and donate it to the local food bank to feed a hungry human. :rolleyes:

OK, that deserves a chuckle :D

Jokes aside, feeding the hungry has nothing to do with rescuing an animal. What I'm referring to is your implied all or nothing attitude towards charitable work.

So they should just have left it out there to freeze? :D

Many of us have received loads of training on how to survive in inclement climates. That doesn't mean that all people could survive in these climates. Similarly, the average family pet bunny is not going to have the survival skills that a wild animal would have.

There's a big difference between rescuing and raising. I rescue collies ... there's no way I could keep them all. The object is to rescue them and re-home them. :D

Thank you for rescuing the rabbit, and also for trying to find a good home for him/her. It would make a good ' feel-good' short article for your community newspaper (if your area has one?) or local radio -

some advertising for the rabbit for a new home, AND a positive geocaching story.

As has been suggested try your local vet as well as the animal shelters. Put a notice in the window of any local stores that allow it. Even if you can manange to keep him/her at your place for a few days while you find a good home, you will be doing a kind thing.

Annie

Depends on what is more important to you... keeping a pet bunny alive or feeding a hungry family. It's good nutritious food. Clean it and donate it to the local food bank to feed a hungry human. :)

Jokes aside, feeding the hungry has nothing to do with rescuing an animal. What I'm referring to is your implied all or nothing attitude towards charitable work.

Well, the bolded part is certainly true, I do have a bit of an all or nothing attitude towards charitable work.

Just for fun, since you brought up charitable work in a way that might be interpreted as wondering if I believe in it enough to actually do something, here are a few of my daily roles and activities... all volunteer and totally at my expense...

When I retired and sold my IT business I dedicated my retirement years to volunteerism. It's a 'weakness' my wife doesn't fully understand but still she allows me to spend about $10,000. a year out of our budget to do the volunteer charitable work that I think most needs doing (about 1/6th of our income).

American Red Cross, Disaster Action Team Lead, Jefferson County AL - on 24-hour call every Tuesday.

American Red Cross, Disaster Action Team Lead, St. Clair and Blount Counties, AL, on 48-hour call every Wednesday and Thursday.

American Red Cross, Disaster Shelter Manager.

American Red Cross, Emergency Communications Radio Operator

American Radio Relay League - Amateur Radio Emergency Service Emergency Communications Coordinator (W4AGA)

American Radio Relay League Operational Emergency Station

American Radio Relay League Volunteer Examiner

Alabama Radio Emergency Service Media Communicator

SKYWARN Severe Weather Storm Spotter

WXSPOTS Alabama Coordinator

Salvation Army Emergency Communications Radio Operator

Navy-Marine Corps Military Auxiliary Radio System Operator (NNN0BFGT)

Southern Baptist Disaster Relief Chaplain

Southern Baptist Disaster Relief Emergency Radio Operator

Disaster Mental Health Counselor

Knights Templar Eye Foundation

Shrine Temple - Ham Unit Director

Shrine Temple - Director's Staff

Paralyzed Veterans of America, fundraiser

Those things, among others, keep me pretty busy.

Oh, and this week I am refurbishing three Dell machines donated by corporations... when they get new PCs they remove the hard drive and give the old computers to volunteers like me. I put a hard drive in them and when I get them running I install a Linux OS, OpenOffice and some other stuff, then donate them to local kids who can't afford a computer. These 3 will make 18 computers that I gave away in 2009.

But, I do eat bunny rabbits. B) And I like micros. Even LPCs :D

I'll try to do better for you. :D

And, I would love to publish your story about the bunny rescue (we've already published several along those lines) in the free magazine that I founded and presented as a gift to the geocaching community - The Online Geocacher.

http://onlinegeocacher.com/issue/real_time...7-7-08-08-07-38

http://onlinegeocacher.com/issue/real_time...7-4-08-09-07-38

Anyhoo, to the topic: If you are out geocaching and run across an animal that in your opinion 'needs rescuing' AND you are willing to take responsibility for that animal's care then by all means have at it... but to pick it up and drop it off at some underfunded understaffed shelter so you can go home feeling all good about yourself, well, you're not helping. The animal may or may not survive in the woods, but the vast majority of animals taken to shelters are killed (per PETA statistics).

It seems you have successfully completed stage one. Excellent. :)

Besides...he's only a pet if you know his name... :)

Shirley~

Surely you can't be serious... (Ted Striker: sorry, had to do it)

You lose your love for cuddly bunnies when you grow up shoveling bunny sh poop from under the hutches and treating infected bunny ears and feeding the darn things. Yeah, we raised rabbits. Lots of rabbits. I still love to eat rabbits, but save me from raising the things.

Interesting that folks want to 'rescue' the bunny but don't want to raise the thing... they immediately start looking for someone else to do it! B)

As to the name, my sisters felt the same way... if they got attached to one and gave it a name they wouldn't eat it. Un-named bunnies were fine! :D

I'm right there with ya on this one.as we speak we have a 20-20 bunny pen with 15 fat little dinners i mean pets and my wife wants a bigger cage.

Depends on what is more important to you... keeping a pet bunny alive or feeding a hungry family. It's good nutritious food. Clean it and donate it to the local food bank to feed a hungry human. :)

Well, the bolded part is certainly true, I do have a bit of an all or nothing attitude towards charitable work.

Just for fun, since you brought up charitable work in a way that might be interpreted as wondering if I believe in it enough to actually do something, here are a few of my daily roles and activities... all volunteer and totally at my expense...

When I retired and sold my IT business I dedicated my retirement years to volunteerism. It's a 'weakness' my wife doesn't fully understand but still she allows me to spend about $10,000. a year out of our budget to do the volunteer charitable work that I think most needs doing (about 1/6th of our income).

American Red Cross, Disaster Action Team Lead, Jefferson County AL - on 24-hour call every Tuesday.

American Red Cross, Disaster Action Team Lead, St. Clair and Blount Counties, AL, on 48-hour call every Wednesday and Thursday.

American Red Cross, Disaster Shelter Manager.

American Red Cross, Emergency Communications Radio Operator

American Radio Relay League - Amateur Radio Emergency Service Emergency Communications Coordinator (W4AGA)

American Radio Relay League Operational Emergency Station

American Radio Relay League Volunteer Examiner

Alabama Radio Emergency Service Media Communicator

SKYWARN Severe Weather Storm Spotter

WXSPOTS Alabama Coordinator

Salvation Army Emergency Communications Radio Operator

Navy-Marine Corps Military Auxiliary Radio System Operator (NNN0BFGT)

Southern Baptist Disaster Relief Chaplain

Southern Baptist Disaster Relief Emergency Radio Operator

Disaster Mental Health Counselor

Knights Templar Eye Foundation

Shrine Temple - Ham Unit Director

Shrine Temple - Director's Staff

Paralyzed Veterans of America, fundraiser

Those things, among others, keep me pretty busy.

Oh, and this week I am refurbishing three Dell machines donated by corporations... when they get new PCs they remove the hard drive and give the old computers to volunteers like me. I put a hard drive in them and when I get them running I install a Linux OS, OpenOffice and some other stuff, then donate them to local kids who can't afford a computer. These 3 will make 18 computers that I gave away in 2009.

But, I do eat bunny rabbits. B) And I like micros. Even LPCs :D

I'll try to do better for you. :D

And, I would love to publish your story about the bunny rescue (we've already published several along those lines) in the free magazine that I founded and presented as a gift to the geocaching community - The Online Geocacher.

http://onlinegeocacher.com/issue/real_time...7-7-08-08-07-38

http://onlinegeocacher.com/issue/real_time...7-4-08-09-07-38

Anyhoo, to the topic: If you are out geocaching and run across an animal that in your opinion 'needs rescuing' AND you are willing to take responsibility for that animal's care then by all means have at it... but to pick it up and drop it off at some underfunded understaffed shelter so you can go home feeling all good about yourself, well, you're not helping. The animal may or may not survive in the woods, but the vast majority of animals taken to shelters are killed (per PETA statistics).

Wow, sorry that I started this. We picked it up in the moment, no we were not equipped to take it home on the spot, knowing nothing about this animal. We have since been in contact with the shelter 3 times today. They will keep it for 2 days on protocol and examine it's attitude with other animals and with humans, they will check it to be sure it isn't pregnant, and if it needs to be spayed/neutered they will do that as well. After those 2 days he will be adoptable. If they can not keep it, or it will be destroyed I have already promised my daughter we did not save it in vain, we will adopt it. I have also been doing a lot of research on having a rabbit as a pet, and it does seem feasible. We would need to get a cage (kiddy pool) and make a few modifications to the living room but to say we are not responsible or not helping, I hardly see how. That seems like a judgment call similar to the one that made you post your "credentials" about how much you do for your community. I suppose it really upsets me that I did not make a comment about anything other than how we picked up a bunny and saved it from dying that night. If he was out in the wild, he would not have survived without claws (they were cut) so his way of dying if I was irresponsible would have been starvation or being hunted by another animal. If it were to be put down at least he would have gone in peace a far better alternative to starving for weeks on end. I just thought it was a neat story and who knows maybe someone who likes to take care of rabbits will adopt him, but I will not let him die either way, but THANK YOU for your judgment of me from 1 simple post I made. I hate to be confrontational but that statement just rubbed me the wrong way and I am sorry if you see what we did as not helping.

Title says it all...

Now, we did not save it from the cold to have it destroyed, and if the shelter can not keep it, then we will have a bunny for Christmas... not sure how I feel about that one but better than the alternative. Just wanted to share our crazy story about a bunny.

Good for you! I've found kittens, but never a bunny. The last time I found kittens, it was one of those days where the high was about 10 below zero. Late afternoon, getting colder, my daughter, my dog, and I are out finishing up a day of caching. We pulled in a parking lot of a remote public hunting area, and the truck wasn't even shut off before these two little kittens came trotting out of the woods, right for us. I didn't think they were even weaned, they were so small! Their survival instinct was stronger than their fear of dogs (and we also have cats at home, so the dog didn't bother the kittens, other than to sniff them) because they hung right with us as we found the cache. Of course, pretty soon my daughter had picked them up, so there was nothing for it other than to take them home. I really believe if they'd have spent the night outside that night they'd have died from the cold. The shelter didn't want them, and another local pet adoption agency wanted us to jump through hoops before they'd even look at the kittens (they didn't really want them, either). We had the kittens about a month before we found a good home for them. They both went to the same home, too, so they stayed together. Hang in there - you'll find a place for your bunny!

<snip>

There. Fixed it for you. Just trying to guide this back on topic for the white bunny's sake.

I hate to be confrontational but that statement just rubbed me the wrong way and I am sorry if you see what we did as not helping.

You're right. You in fact did the right thing.

I was perhaps carried away responding to replies and not to your original post.

Thank you for being a kind and concerned person, we need more like you who will do the needful. :)

I was being serious when I mentioned that if you want to write up your story for The Online Geocacher I will be happy to publish it and geocachers would love to read about it. One reason that the magazine succeeds is that I keep my opinions out of it! B)

Wow, sorry that I started this.

Not your fault. But I don't see the point in continuing my discussion with TAR. He sure does a lot of charitable work though.

I think you did the right thing, even if you can't adopt the rabbit yourself.

Edit : I guess I just continued it when he made what I felt is conflicting statements.

Edited by Chrysalides

I hate to be confrontational but that statement just rubbed me the wrong way and I am sorry if you see what we did as not helping.

Thank you for being a kind and concerned person, we need more like you who will do the needful. :)

I was being serious when I mentioned that if you want to write up your story for The Online Geocacher I will be happy to publish it and geocachers would love to read about it. One reason that the magazine succeeds is that I keep my opinions out of it! B)

I am more than happy to, but let's wait a few days, like I said it may end up with us having a few pictures of the bunny hopping around the house. The more the wife and daughter talk about it... well lets just say it is leaning that way and that are starting to pull me down with them. They are comparing it to a guinea pig just bigger (we had one before) so there may be more to the story by the time it is all said and done.

Interesting that folks want to 'rescue' the bunny but don't want to raise the thing... they immediately start looking for someone else to do it! B)

Does not compute.

This was not started to be a banter of word with anyone, I just wanted to put up some pics of a fat bunny rabbit and share a story, we should all just reply with smilies :) and be cool :D

Thank you for being a kind and concerned person, we need more like you who will do the needful. :D

And I think you did the right thing, also. Besides, I never trust anyone who quotes PETA statistics :)

Edited by GrateBear
This was not started to be a banter of word with anyone, I just wanted to put up some pics of a fat bunny rabbit and share a story, we should all just reply with smilies :) and be cool :D

But the forum is a place for angst, rants, and dead horse topics B)

Agree. TAR - wonderful work with the charities. Hope I can come close some day.

The more the wife and daughter talk about it... well lets just say it is leaning that way and that are starting to pull me down with them. They are comparing it to a guinea pig just bigger (we had one before) so there may be more to the story by the time it is all said and done.

Great! I hope that it works out for you. B)

Rabbits, however, are not at all like guinea pigs, so do some reading on the internet before leaping into a pet rabbit!

Rabbits can make excellent house pets. They are generally clean and often can be house-trained to use a litter box. They are interesting, docile, interact well with people, and can become quite affectionate. But before acquiring a pet rabbit, there are some things you should consider...

Rabbits can be difficult to handle: Rabbits often resist being picked up, and if not handled correctly, they can become afraid and kick, bite, or scratch. They can also injure themselves trying to escape. This is one of the reasons rabbits may not make ideal pets for small children, who like to hug or cuddle their pet.

Rabbits can be destructive: Rabbits are natural chewers, and they do not know the difference between chewing on appropriate items or inappropriate ones such as doors, electrical cords, furniture, and books. You will need to "rabbit proof" whatever areas in your house your rabbit is allowed access to. You will need to provide your rabbit with suitable chewing toys and constructive ways to burn off energy. Rabbits must have something to chew on to keep their teeth worn down. I've seen them chew through 2x4 cage frames and eat big holes in vinyl floors!

Lastly, rabbit urine is strong and acidic. It will eat the finish right off of your floors and then soak into the wood, permanently discoloring it. And it's a strong smell you really can't do much about. Ask a Realtor how hard it is to sell a home where rabbits have been kept inside...

If you can handle those things then you will likely enjoy having a pet rabbit!

We were just talking about how to rabbit proof the living room where it would roam when we were home, the other thing we found is they like to dig, and have been known to go through carpet, so finding some way to deal with that...Not sure where it will go from here but I am sure it will work out for the best.

Also, after this winter, you could also keep it outside in an above ground, sheltered cage if the inside doesn't work out. You just need to make sure that the rabbit is socialized regularly, or it will become more wild and resist handling.

Ditto that, but especially the above-ground part. Our rabbit hutches were chicken-wire with wood frames on legs about 5' high off the ground. If you don't do that neighborhood dogs will get to them. B)

It seems you have successfully completed stage one. Excellent. :)

Shirley~

Maybe his name is "Stu".

B)

It was nice of you to rescue that bunny. Chances are it would not have survived the night. A few days at best.

Petfinder.com is a place Ive been looking at while trying to find a rescued chihuahua. On there, various rescue groups are able to post listings of available pets. You can type in your zip code and rabbit to see if there are rabbit rescue groups in your area. They might be able to help you find a home for the bunny.

No way to know why they abandoned the animal, but in my area, there are many abandoned pets thanks to foreclosures. Sometimes they are left in the yards, sometimes locked in the homes, other times left in cages in the parks. One grizzly story this year was about 3 dogs left in a cage outside of the county animal control. Two of the dogs ate the third one while waiting for the pound to open. Breaks my heart to see this aspect of the economic downturn.