New Airline restrictions on GPS use

guggie

I'm sure all the recent "terrorist issues" are going to cause a flurry of new restrictions :rolleyes: Don't hold your breath for them allowing GPSr usage during flight any longer.. Heck, if a few more "issues" happen they might wind up gluing those sun shades SHUT on the windows so you can't even visualize where exactly you are at the moment..

Edited by NordicMan

Soon we all need to fly naked or even worse, not fly at all, just to stupid terrorists.

Also American has some guilt in this, since they try to prevent anything to happens instead of relax some.

Last year when I did go to US, it felt that it would be more easy to escape a prison than to come into US (several hours in line, fingerprint, eye scan +++)

Cominging back to Norway was a 15 min walk from plane to get out of terminale.

Sorry for being off topic.

I do normally use GPS on all long flight and have never had any problem with that. If plane crash and they find my GPS, they have an extra log for the flight :rolleyes:

If they an GPS and they do not show any flight info on screen, it would still not be any problem to figure out where I am, just look out window... or use the clock to calculate it.

Edited by jotne

Soon we all need to fly naked or even worse, not fly at all, just to stupid terrorists.

Also American has some guilt in this, since they try to prevent anything to happens instead of relax some.

Last year when I did go to US, it felt that it would be more easy to escape a prison than to come into US (several hours in line, fingerprint, eye scan +++)

Cominging back to Norway was a 15 min walk from plane to get out of terminale.

Sorry for being off topic.

I do normally use GPS on all long flight and have never had any problem with that. If plane crash and they find my GPS, they have an extra log for the flight :rolleyes:

If they an GPS and they do not show any flight info on screen, it would still not be any problem to figure out where I am, just look out window... or use the clock to calculate it.

It's easier for you to go back into Norway since your a citizen there. If I, a US Citizen, fly into Norway I have to go through the same process to get into your country that you did. Fingerprints, eye scan, DNA swab and possibly a prostrate exam.

Do you think they should relax security standards and just let the terrorists blow up planes instead??? If they ask me to turn off my GPS I won't have a problem doing it.

It's easier for you to go back into Norway since your a citizen there.

True, but I have been to many country and US is one of the worst to get into.

So how many buildings have been knocked down by commercial aircraft in Norway? The US is a giant glass house. It truly is easy to throw rocks at it in terms of complaints and real attacks. Every action taken against us results in more restrictions. There are no easy answers or solutions. I'll be happy to listen to a real solution for every gripe that gets tossed about the restrictions.

Edited by TotemLake
Do you think they should relax security standards and just let the terrorists blow up planes instead??? If they ask me to turn off my GPS I won't have a problem doing it.

"Those who can give up essential liberty for temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"... Benjamin Franklin.

The current "security standards" obviously don't work. No trace of chemicals detected on/near the guy, even though he was carrying them (so either it doesn't work, or they're looking for the wrong chemicals). No visa revokation, no entry on the watchlist or "no fly" even though his own father told US authorities 6 months ago that his son was planning something.

The new "stow everything, cross your legs and hold it and keep your hands where I can see them for 1-2 hours of every flight" is pointless too. It's a knee-jerk reaction until TSA can come up with some other way to rob us of our dignity.

Understand that blowing up planes is a means to an end - the plane blowing up is not the goal of "the terrorists." Their goal is panic, fear, disruption and mayhem, regardless of how it's achieved. And guess what - the US has allowed them to win. The game's already over. They've handed the game over to the terrorists just like the Colts handed their game to the Jets yesterday.

I dread the idea of flying - not because I'm afraid of being blown out of the sky by a terrorist, but because of the BS that TSA puts everyone through. A friend of mine got on a plane this morning and wasn't allowed to bring his razor - despite it not being on the "banned items list." On the news this morning, there was an item about how the TSA rules now are changing at random, intentionally - the idea being that if you change the rules, the terrorists won't know what rules are there to have to get around. It reeks of the early days of the PATRIOT act, where you could be arrested for violating laws which you were not allowed to know about.

Israel has less-stupid, less-invasive, and better-performing security procedures for airlines than the US has demonstrated. Unfortunately, the US will never implement any of those, thanks to head-in-the-sand NIH syndrome.

Edited by dakboy

Dakboy summarized my feelings perfectly.

The mass hysteria over the last 10 years isn't making anybody any safer, it is just making them more hysterical. 9/11 was a horrible evil deed but I think the net effect is that the terrorism is making life and travel more difficult for the west and I believe that is the goal. There may have been a point where security changes or other regulations made people feel safer but by now I wouldn't even be sure about that.

It's easier for you to go back into Norway since your a citizen there.

True, but I have been to many country and US is one of the worst to get into.

Sad to say but the US is the prime target and EU countries are often the starting point of these terrorists that often are EU "citizen" !

The terrorists organisation knows perfectly that they stand more chance to avoid controls by using these "citizen".

Fed up by all these inefficient, because PC, controls !

@Totemlake

You seem to forget

Madrid bombing, London bombing, North Spain, Germany Rote armee fractioon, Italy brigate rosse, Ireland Ira

And then all the 'minor' bombings and so on we forget about.

Personaly, I don't think we can protect ourselfs from crazy people and whatever we invent, they invent another way. So there's NO airport\craft security, because you can hide whatever, anywhere.

We flew SAS from BRU to ARN and KRN and back with "heightened security" and we still managed not being robbed of our freedoms. It can be done. I guess I'll avoid any flights that TSA is involved with. For every "incident' (being Nigerian and suffering foodpoisoning is an "incident these days) they take extreme measures.

No matter how hard airports are trying to show they have tight security, I still don't trust them. I carry a lot of stuff in my handluggage that should make security personel ancious (wires, homemade electronics, batteries, transmitters...) and for the last 25 years I was only asked once what was is my backpack, and then only because we were so early there were no other passengers yet and security had time to chat. They even called me a screeners nightmare ;-)

100% is impossible but putting people off flying seens to get easier with every fool who tries something.

BTW, I had my GPS on and in full sight of the FA's on all 4 flights the whole time, no questions asked.

No matter how hard airports are trying to show they have tight security, I still don't trust them. I carry a lot of stuff in my handluggage that should make security personel ancious (wires, homemade electronics, batteries, transmitters...) and for the last 25 years I was only asked once what was is my backpack

I flew 2 months ago in the US and the carry-on stuff was a major pain.

We had to disassemble our carry-ons so that each electronic device could be x-rayed independently (portable DVD player, GPS, camera, maybe one or 2 other things). The liquid ibuprofen we had, despite being factory-sealed, had to be inspected separately, but only for one of the flights. When the ibuprofen was swabbed, they also had to swab & inspect one member of our party, and we got to choose who was inspected. So my wife could have handled all kinds of chemical explosives in the parking lot, but as long as there was no trace on me, we'd be in the clear.

On another flight that same week, there was mentally handicapped passenger who was wheelchair-bound. The wheelchair got almost no additional scrutiny (he passed through security the same time we did). Who knows what could have been packed inside that wheelchair.

You said it right when you said "trying to show they have tight security" - it's all theater.

Now that airlines have been instructed to stop displaying the in-air display of the aircraft position on the seat monitor during some flights, is anyone aware of any new restrictions on GPS usage?

On Many domestic flights I've taken since 9-11 most airlines have GPS devices on the list of electronics which must be turned off while in Flight. Southwest surprised me when I WAS allowed to not only have it on but in plain sight for most of the flight, (off and stowed for landing, like laptops).

horsec8z

@Totemlake

You seem to forget

Madrid bombing, London bombing, North Spain, Germany Rote armee fractioon, Italy brigate rosse, Ireland Ira

And then all the 'minor' bombings and so on we forget about.

Personaly, I don't think we can protect ourselfs from crazy people and whatever we invent, they invent another way. So there's NO airport\craft security, because you can hide whatever, anywhere.

I haven't forgotten. And each of those are more police state internally than the US is with the freedoms accorded. So at the portals of entry, regardless of the " perceived theattrics" of security, more scrutiny is going to be placed. I also remember the tighter security that was in place directly after those other bombings. Something the international community tends to forget when pointing fingers.

And before I get nailed on "freedoms"; I already know freedom is a perception as well.

Edited by TotemLake

Someone crunched some numbers to reach this conclusion:

the odds of being on given departure which is the subject of a terrorist incident have been 1 in 10,408,947 over the past decade. By contrast, the odds of being struck by lightning in a given year are about 1 in 500,000. This means that you could board 20 flights per year and still be less likely to be the subject of an attempted terrorist attack than to be struck by lightning.

I've got some sympathy for the TSA folk...whatever they do [or don't do] is going to tick off somebody.

I agree with Dakboy fully.

I have not flown a single flight arriving or even stopping over in the USA since all these retarded TSA rules have began.

They are beginning to put together estimates of lost tourism due to no one wanting to visit the police state the TSA is imposing in the airports and on airplanes in the billions. That aught to help an ailing economy!

And now US is going to start war to a new country, Yemen.

This will not help at all, only get more people pissed off.

Maybe Obama did not read my post:

Smile to the world and it smile back at you. :)

Didn't work in 1938 you know ! :huh:

Heard that in Norway you now have separate swimming pools for men and women ?

What is the next step ? ;)

PS: Initially I didn't intent to answer but I can't accept that you just hinted the US was indirectly responsible for terrorism !

I know this rotten way of reasoning is rather common among short sighted, coward, leftist Europeans !

Now I stop feeding the troll !

Edited by Suscrofa

[qoute]Heard that in Norway you now have separate swimming pools for men and women ?[/qoute]

No, and I do not hope that day come...

[qoute]PS: Initially I didn't intent to answer but I can't accept that you just hinted the US was indirectly responsible for terrorism ![/qoute]

They are not, but I do not think bombing any of the Asian country will help.

In fact I think it will make it worse.

PS: In Norway Police do not carry gun, and I think that helps soften up the climate.