five and half year sleeper.

ScottKaren

WOW WOW WOW - 5 1/2 years. That is amazing.

Was it in one of those really remote caches - or a new TB started with the copy - or laying in the owners bag - or just MIA and then found again?

My best for 2 of my personal TB/GC is one year.

Both went missing and then resurfaced almost exactly a year later. (and both within the same month too - one in the US - Wash and another between South Africa and the UK).

When I went to log the TB it was not listed in the cache. I had to grab it using the number listed on it. That is when I found out it had gone missing in 2004. There are a couple of weird things. It was in a plastic bag with a printout in the bag. The printout out was from the person who previously had the TB with the TB description and the TB goals. Then it was placed and grabbed by another cacher. Both of these cachers are still active today.

I guess the last guy grabbed it, and then forgot about it or misplaced it. Then finally found it and placed it in a cache without logging it there. That way he did not have to write a big old OOOOPPPSSS note when he placed it.

The TB owner is still active also so. I bet he liked seeing that e-mail today. :rolleyes:

Found a TB today that had last been logged on 2/1/2004. Frog bug It is still in good shapen to believe it or not. So what is the longest sleeper you have found?

I haven't found any that have languished too long, but your question brought up one of my own. Why do people put travel bugs in remote caches, multi caches, or hard puzzle caches?

I thought the idea was to move them along, not see how long they can stay in one spot. I've picked up several lately that were in caches that only got visited once a month or so, which seems to defeat the purpose.

Any thoughts?

I haven't found any that have languished too long, but your question brought up one of my own. Why do people put travel bugs in remote caches, multi caches, or hard puzzle caches?

I thought the idea was to move them along, not see how long they can stay in one spot. I've picked up several lately that were in caches that only got visited once a month or so, which seems to defeat the purpose.

Any thoughts?

I don't mind it if my coins visit more remote caches. I also get some cool photos on my cache pages that way if the remote cache has a nice view. Yeah, it slows down the travels but it also cuts back on theft. Generally, it appears that thieves don't like to work very hard to steal things. Go figure! :rolleyes:

Found a TB today that had last been logged on 2/1/2004. Frog bug It is still in good shapen to believe it or not. So what is the longest sleeper you have found?

Any thoughts?

Some Travel Bugs can be 'judged' by the places they have visited, and not by the mileage they have accumulated.

Just as some cachers can be 'judged' by the caches they have found, and not by their number of finds.

Oh crud. I used to remember the name of it, but I have so many TB moves I'll probably never find it again. A really old-timer who joined in 2001, and didn't log most of his finds online dropped a TB in a cache just minutes before I found it. (I actually talked to the guy on the trail). He never logged the cache he took the TB from, or the TB itself online. It was either a few days short, or a few days over 3 years.

I also used to remember when TB's were introduced, and I think it was late 2001. I'm sure someday we'll see a lost TB from 2001 or early 2002 pop up in a cache, and set a record.

And if there is a record, Blue Deuce should be the one to compile these statistics. B)

Any thoughts?

Some bug or coin owners prefer their trackables be placed in more difficult caches in order to raise the probability of the trackable not going missing. They do not care about frequent movement. They are more interested in the trackable remaining viable.

Any thoughts?

On average my bugs move about once every three months, so having them dropped into a visited once a month or so cache is fine by me. It's those only once or twice a year caches that people should think before they Drop.

I've seen owner's clear out bugs that have been sitting for too long. They know their caches are tough (puzzle's, etc) and try to keep the bugs moving.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Thanks for the clarification on travel bugs. I see on the bugs description that the owner wants them to see as many states as possible, or the world, and it seemed logical that they should be placed near interstates or airports to aid in their travel.

Now that I know frequent movement isn't all that important, I'll start dropping them in other places. I passed on leaving one in a multi yesterday for this reason -- not next time!

Thanks for the help.

Found a TB today that had last been logged on 2/1/2004. So what is the longest sleeper you have found?

@ScottKaren: Cool Car in your avatar picture. A VW 181 that's the first car I was allowed to drive. (Long before I had a driving licence, so just on private property!)

For trackables who gone MIA, there is a new service, its called TB-Rescue. You might want to check it out, the guy are currently working on / improving the English version.

GermanSailor

Found a TB today that had last been logged on 2/1/2004. So what is the longest sleeper you have found?

@ScottKaren: Cool Car in your avatar picture. A VW 181 that's the first car I was allowed to drive. (Long before I had a driving licence, so just on private property!)

For trackables who gone MIA, there is a new service, its called TB-Rescue. You might want to check it out, the guy are currently working on / improving the English version.

GermanSailor

Thanks about the car. Over here in the states they called them "The thing."

UPDATE on the TB. I was visiting my mom in AZ and placed it in a cache there. It is a fairly new and popular cache so hopefully someone will pick it up and continue it on it's journey.

You know I looked at who had the TB and it was someone who quit caching soon after finding the bug. Then in May of this this year took it back up for a couple of weeks, but has not been back since.

Any thoughts?

I have often wondered about this myself. If it is your own travel bug, go for it, but normaly, remote caches are not a good place for a travel bug. There realy should be something in the guidelines about this.