hammocks

mtbikernate

So having received an ENO doublenest hammock for Christmas, I'm curious who around here might be into hammock camping.

Right now, I'm working on figuring out the best way to hang it (tons of methods out there). By the time the season starts, I will add a bug net and a tarp for flying beastie and weather protection.

I have been thinking about getting one for me , but I want something lite

and maybe add some tarp and bug net like you said. but the problem is

$$$ and a place to buy....I've seen one for sale ate my local REI but

not sure if that will be a good one....so I have questions too...let's see

if there is more people to help us...

mtbikernate, Congratulations on getting a hammock! I have an ENO singlenest and absolutely love it. I've used it on my last three section hikes of the Appalachian Trail and it has never let me down (pun intended!). You can ask ten people and get ten opinions on all the accessories so here are MY opinions... From the pictures on ENO's web site and from online reviews, their tarps seem a little small to protect against an all out downpour so I bought a 9'x9' tarp from Campmore. And when it comes to actually hanging the hammock, ENO sells their "Slap Strap" system but again, reviews indicate that the adjustment loops aren't always spaced so you can get that sweet spot with the right amount of tension. I just went and bought some line at the hardware store and tie it up however I like. I also don't have the bug net. Seems like extra weight I don't want to carry in my backpack, plus being wrapped up in a blanket at night keeps the skeeters off my body and insect repellent keeps the rest off. Hope that helps!

I bought some lightweight wiregate climbing carabiners to replace the heavy steel ones and ordered some amsteel blue 7/64 dyneema cord to replace the stock rope in the ends and to fashion a suspension...and some 1" polypro webbing to wrap around my choice trees. Also ordered some aluminum SMC rappel/descender rings to round out the group.

I made these selections based on various posts across the web. It's enough of a selection that I can try a variety of suspension methods and decide which one works best for me. With 50' of webbing and 100' of rope, I ought to be set. Now to wait for the stuff.

I have also heard ENO tarps are slim in the coverage department. I'll be buying a different tarp. Will still get the ENO Guardian bug net. Not sure if I'll like it, but once I see how it works, I'll at least be able to DIY my own if I want.

Now we are talking my language--Hammocks ;) I got into hammock camping this past spring and kind of went over board! It started as a "that could be cool" and had grown into an almost full time job. I was reading about backpacking on a couple of forum as I wanted to get back into it this year. Found out about Hammock Forums and started really learning about the in's and out's of it. After a few months of getting the knowledge I stated playing around with making my own gear and from there started making some for other folks at Hammock Forums. It kind of went over board from there, I took over a few pet projects from other members, then bought another members company making gear and it has just continued to grow from there, I now have my own sub forum and am making tons of gear for hammock camping. And I now sleep peacefully at night in the woods rather than tossing and tuning non stop. :blink: If you want all sorts of questions answered about your eno's come on over to HF and ask away. Yah the eno tarps are small, the slap strap suspension is heavy and kind of limited on adjustment. Lots of better ways of going with either of those items. Keep in mind to that there are a lot of little things to learn about hammock camping that may not be the first thing you think of but can make a great hammock suck if not planned for.

PG

So having received an ENO doublenest hammock for Christmas, I'm curious who around here might be into hammock camping.

Right now, I'm working on figuring out the best way to hang it (tons of methods out there). By the time the season starts, I will add a bug net and a tarp for flying beastie and weather protection.

I own a Singlenest, but haven't used it for camping yet. Here are some links from previous hammock discussions we had in this section of the forums.

Hammock Set-up videos

Hennessy Hammocks

I'm planning on buying some type of Hennessey Hammock for the A.t.

Hanging a Hammock

opinon please Hennessy Hammock Expedition A-Sym Hammock

I like using a hammock in general, typically while camping... but I sleep in a tent for the night.

I have one of those hammocks that are made out of parachute material or some such. I'd be a bit worried about sleeping in that for the night. I don't know how easily water can pass through the material, so any dew in the morning or light drizzle might collect at the bottom of the hammock and basically create a puddle for me to lie in. Methinks I'll have to run a test sometime and see if water poured into it will drip through, and how fast.

I like using a hammock in general, typically while camping... but I sleep in a tent for the night.

I have one of those hammocks that are made out of parachute material or some such. I'd be a bit worried about sleeping in that for the night. I don't know how easily water can pass through the material, so any dew in the morning or light drizzle might collect at the bottom of the hammock and basically create a puddle for me to lie in. Methinks I'll have to run a test sometime and see if water poured into it will drip through, and how fast.

You will probably find that the water will pass through pretty fast as most of the Parachute fabrics are not coated with any water proofer. But for camping you will likely want a tarp to keep the rain off in the first place. Hammock camping takes it's own system of gear just like tent camping dose. Most tent campers have a tent, with a rain fly, a pad and a sleeping bag of some sort. Hammock campers use a hammock of one nature or another, a tarp, a bag or a quilt and either a pad or an under quilt for warmth as being up in the air allows for convective cooling from even the slightest bit of air movement. A good tarp will keep you just as dry as an enclosed tent, gives you more storage space than tents, you can cook from the comfort of the hammock and most of us feel sleep a lot better.

PG

I've ordered a bunch of supplies to figure out what hanging method will work best for me. In addition to the biners, I've got some SMC descending rings, 50' of polypro webbing, and 100' of AmSteel blue 7/64 cord.

With that, I can try out a few different methods and find what I like best.

I still need to order the bug net, but that can wait. I won't need it for awhile. I am going to DIY a tarp. I made my own down quilts a few years ago, so I'm handy with a sewing machine. Tarps would be easy.

Being in the southeast, I'm looking for fabric a bit more waterproof than the typical lightweight silnylon stuff. That fabric has a tendency to mist in heavy rain. It does fine in light rain I've experienced elsewhere, but Biblical-scale storms are a bit common where I live now.

Give the whoopie slings a try they aren't that bad to make and are the lightest quickest and easiest system out for adjustability. We sell a tone of them with both the 7/64ths and the 1/8th inch line. A pair of tree straps and carabiners or toggles and you are set to hang.

Try OWF Inc for fabric, great service and one of the only shops on this end of the country for technical fabrics. I would start with a strait line cut tarp rather than a cat cut, if you get the geometry right it will still pitch close to as tight and will be a lot easier to "inject thread" to. :rolleyes:

I was thinking of trying whoopie slings as one of the options.

you're in quite a different end of the country than I am....I've mostly bought my fabrics from thru-hiiker in the past, but Quest is also in my favorites list since they have a better selection on some things.

I was thinking about a tarp with catenary cuts beween the tie-outs, but a straight ridgeline. Seems to be the best of both types.

Yah a Strait ridge is the way to go for hammock tarps a cat ridge will just be more work and no real benefit. For groundling tarps it serves a purpose but on a hammock tarp it would just be extra work. Are you thinking of doing all six sides cat or just the ground edges? When I get my line of tarps up for sale I am thinking about doing all three ways just to cover budget --> deluxe From just strait cut lines to cat ground edges to full cat cut.

Quest has been ok on the orders I have placed with them and pretty helpful on a special order that I am working on for a customer. And Tru-Hiker has been a lot of help the couple times I have called him with some questions.

What other suspensions where you thinking of trying? That is a lot of what we are doing right now. We have about 5 or 6 choices in different suspensions right now. And a lot of different materials choices for them. Whoopie's are real popular we ship tones of pairs of them out every week but we are still doing a lot of webbing based systems as well.

I don't plan on doing exclusively webbing-based because of the weight. Everything I try will be some variation of webbing around the tree and cord to the hammock.

I've got a couple biners and some rings on order, so I'm going to see what kind of difference it makes to use hardware in some situations. I've seen folks talk about eliminating all hardware for weight, or keeping some hardware so breakdown/setup is quicker.

I have in my head that I will use a single ring on each end with a small prussik through each channel that will loop back over the ring to replace the stock cord/biner on the hammock. I have enough rings that I can try a pair of rings on each end to try that method if I want. But, I will run the cord from the rings to the webbing. First I will try a couple non-whoopie methods before I make a couple whoopie slings, which I could still use in a single-ring setup on the ends. Then I just have to find the best way to attach the whoopie to the webbing.

I also need to get the bug net to include it into my testing at some point. I am told it includes a ridgeline, but I don't know yet how it's intended to be attached, or whether I will need to (or should for weight/simplicity) modify it.

The tarp is independent enough of the hammock, I don't necessarily need it for this part. I think I'm probably going to use the biners with it.

Sounds like a good way to test out a few options. From a totally webbing based system to a whoopie system you should have about a 2-3 oz weight savings. Once you decide what you like for the suspension you could eliminate the ring and just loop the suspension right through the end channel on the hammock. That should make a bit of an weight savings as well. I like carabiners over toggles on the webbing, just a little bit easier and quicker --especially for winter hanging wearing gloves and everything.

I'm not real familiar with ENO's bug net, but most folks find there accessories on the heavy side. Check out Warbonnet Outdoors for their traveler bug net. It is one of the lightest on the market -- 7 oz seams to stick in my mind.

I've ordered a bunch of supplies to figure out what hanging method will work best for me. In addition to the biners, I've got some SMC descending rings, 50' of polypro webbing, and 100' of AmSteel blue 7/64 cord.

With that, I can try out a few different methods and find what I like best.

I still need to order the bug net, but that can wait. I won't need it for awhile. I am going to DIY a tarp. I made my own down quilts a few years ago, so I'm handy with a sewing machine. Tarps would be easy.

Being in the southeast, I'm looking for fabric a bit more waterproof than the typical lightweight silnylon stuff. That fabric has a tendency to mist in heavy rain. It does fine in light rain I've experienced elsewhere, but Biblical-scale storms are a bit common where I live now.

Have you visited Just Jeff's How do I stay dry in a hammock section?

Everyone I know who owns a ENO hammock loves it. I bought one for my sister and bro-in-law for Xmas and as I walked out the guy at the store tells me how awesome they are and how he has 3. I inform him that he doesn't need to tell me as I am already a believer. I still wonder why he needs 3.

I love my hammock...I own a Hennessey...and had it for the last 3-4 years worth of heavy use on the trail and weekend trips and never a problem.....highly recommend them... My favorite thing is its just so comfortable... You forget after a while that the ground sux to sleep on.... 8 days in on the trail and you'll realize it when the "Ground-Dwellers" start complaining when they wake up..... :lol: lol haha :)

I've had an ENO single hammock for about 5 years now. I absolutely love it, and how quick and easy they are to set up. I have done several trips where I don't bring a tent at all. I do have the rainfly but have rarely used it. Even if you aren't going to sleep in them they are awesome to bring with for relaxation around a camp site at the end of a long day. You can sit sideways in them to eat or whatever and then kick back for a few before you get in your tent. As far as overnight sleeping I have found it to really only be a viable option in the true summer months. Any time the temperature is going to dip below the mid 50's I end up getting very chilly in the hammack even with a 20 degree bag. I think you just lose too much heat to the air passing below you in addition to not having any walls to trap the heat you are giving off.

Overall I love my ENO! I never take a trip without it.

Hello mtbikernate,

One of the best things about a camping using a hammock, is you have an excellent chance of getting a great sleep - especially if you set up the hammock properly. The best partner for your hammock is tarps. A hammock tarp has flexible material that enable you to place the tarp over the hammock and protect you from rain and shield against the elements and the forces of nature.

Check this out. http://www.tarpsplus.com/hammock-tarps.html

Edited by Helen0101