Does anyone still release coins?

Eric K

We release our personal coin into caches an a regular basis. If we go out of town or someplace special we like to activate a couiple just so if we come across a deserving cache we will have one to leave.

Most of the 30 or so we have released are still traveling.

We have had 2 go missing only to show up 5 or 6 months later and start traveling again.

We also

carry a couple of unactivated coins to trade on those rare occasions when we find a coin left as swag.

I activate & release coins whenever the whimsy strikes me. :D Whimsy needs to strike more often tho... :D I don't usually release the more expensive coins 'cause they never travel far. I released two Pathtag Sherpa coins and one was never logged out of the Event I put it into and the other was stolen after the second person picked it up. :lol: Kinda put a damper on my whimsy. I'm going to try & release more this year. I enjoy watching them travel - when they do. My best & longest living coins are in Australia. :D So I like to send coins over there to be set free.

CF30

I release coins into caches. I like to have coins in our caches, I like to send out coins to promote cause I am interested in. Since having met YASS I now send out coins just to let the ones who pick them up know they are special. We have many coins. We each have a treasure box of coins that have sentimental value to us and will never be released. If it doesn't have sentimental value to us then it can become a traveler.

truth is I rarely even activate them anymore... Sad I know :lol:

I've seen so many go missing that I don't send them traveling anymore. I either give them as FTF/door prizes, trade them or add them to my keepers collection. I feel better giving them away instead of having them stolen. I don't feel as bad when I releasing a $3 bug that goes missing as I do when I release a $12 coin. I guess that's another reason when I cache that I don't mind leaving pathtags behind.

I'm a new collector, so only have about a dozen geocoins in my keeper box. Yet I still purchase coins just to release, activated & unactivated, because I have gotten such a thrill finding coins that other cachers have sent traveling. Some awesome coins have traveled in my pack! It would be a great loss to geocaching if coins were no longer released, in my opinion. So I do my best to keep the tradition alive by releasing too.

Occasionally coins I have won at events are activated and sent out. They are very nice coins, but unless they are something I would have paid to put into my keeper box, they often end up in the to-be-released box so others can enjoy them, too. I shop sales for other droppers or pick up cute older ones, such as the Signal coins, that run about the same as a TB tag plus item. If I buy a set of a nice coin, one version may go into the keeper and one into the release box. Whenever I win a cointest, I drop an unactivated coin for someone else. Those are usually something in the $10-15 range.

Well, that is how I do it now, anyway. :lol:

here's one thread that was an attempt to get more coins out there.....currently around 33 http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry4169942

I placed about 45 coins as part of my IGM movement.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry3359985

For me, I place my extras, I still have my collection, I have put out some that may be perceived to have a higher value and some that are cheaper.

I know a local guy had cache movers as a prize for those that did his puzzle cache....it tough but doable....

I buy coins I like and I send them all out. However I do want them back some time. When they come back they will have a history that makes them more valuable to me then when I bought them.

I also think its fun to see where they will go. In order to see ans show others where they are I made a map that I update at every move my coins do. See th map at http://fson.se/geostat/travelbugmap.html.

I also want others to see the coins I think is beautiful.

I'm still quite new to geocaching so I haven't lost any coins yet

I buy coins I like and I send them all out. However I do want them back some time. When they come back they will have a history that makes them more valuable to me then when I bought them.

I also think its fun to see where they will go. In order to see ans show others where they are I made a map that I update at every move my coins do. See th map at http://fson.se/geostat/travelbugmap.html.

I also want others to see the coins I think is beautiful.

I'm still quite new to geocaching so I haven't lost any coins yet

I really like your map. It is a very cool way to track your travelers!

Thank you Toojin!

If you or someone else want to do the same I will gladly show you how to do it and also supply you with a small program that will help maintain the file with the data the map needs. Just drop me an e-mail Unfortunately I haven't solved the problem with showing it on old Internet Explorer. You can find my e-mail at http://fson.se/geostat.

Edited by nils-Olov

DarrylW4 & I have releases over 400 activated coins. It's hard to keep up with all the logs, so we began to drop unactivated coins for others to take. We mostly drop our personal coins, but I have released some of the cheaper commercial coins. I always get a kick out of seeing a coin in a cache, so I like to put as many as I can to help populate the area.

I release activated coins and unactivated ones all the time.

It helps add to the fun of geocaching.

Some get lost and some show back up after missing for a few years and are the ones i like the most.

I try to keep one in my collection of what i release but it does not always happen.

I have way over 100 out traveling and i am sure i have dropped way over 50 unactivated ones.

Just dropped a personal one yesterday by a cache ( River Cacher Get Well )

There is some people that run out to find ones i drop so i may start leaving wooden nickels or notes and mail people one.

Travelers are a blast for my kids as well.

I don't have many coins but I do like to release them! I generally buy 2 of each coin that I like and will keep one and send the other out. Right now I've got a few activated and am waiting to get to the right caches to release them (some to start out according to their goals).

I love watching them travel and know each is traveling at a risk of disappearing. It's a risk I'm willing to take and the ones that survive have made up for the ones lost. If one ever does make it back to me then it will stay home and the twin will then be released. I've also got a couple that are activated and attached to my keys.

I do have a few that were gifts and I only have 1 of that I'm holding onto at the moment. Don't know if they'll ever get released or not.

Edited by kyoteh

I do not relaese a lot of coins because many of them get stolen or lost. I do have some coins permanently in my own caches as a reward for people who finished the hike (25 km and 37 km).

But recently I released 2 coins and send a few coins to people (just because). Those 2 coins participate in a race that's held almost yearly. This race is set up with the goal to get more coins traveling in caches.

At this moment there are 177 participants. Just take a look :D

I bought the coins especialy for the race. Fairly recent coins that are not common in the Netherlands. People who like the icons might be more interested and willing to help the coin travel :rolleyes:

But the coins are not realy my taste in coins so I would not add them to my keepers.

Ruud4d

We release coins for all kinds of reasons-

Todie's Wild Ride to raise awareness of motorcycle/bicycle safety, we released about 180 total for that

Any new State or Country we visit gets one of our "Birds of a Feather" coin released with the goal of flying around that State/Country meeting the areas cachers (they don't all stay in the State/Country they are released in!)

Just for the heck of it.

Unactivated coins are left as FTF prizes in caches we place.

Unactivated coins are left on Holidays (just dropped 5 for Christmas) or just for the heck of it!

Yep I still release coins. We just released one yesterday in honor of our 500th find! :rolleyes:

I like sharing them with other cachers. I usually purchase 2 or more coins at a time - one to keep, one to release (maybe another to trade).

Yes it bothers me that coin theft seems to be such a problem but I only lose about 15%. I try to focus on the 85% who are bringing joy to the people who find them. I love the thrill of finding a coin in a cache. It is because of that thrill that I keep sending them out.

...I'm just wondering how many people still release coins into caches.

If so, what makes you determine what coins you will release for travel? Price, how many you have, etc.?...

I don't release them the way you are meaning. I leave them in caches on occasion unactivated for the next finder. I do this when my muse/mood strikes me.

The last coin I released as a traveler I actually told a story about it's location using a nearby cache as the clue and set it on a rock shelf. The cache was promptly stolen and the coin remains.