Quick guide for getting PQs on your PN-40

achtung6

If you are like me and just got a PN-40 for Christmas and was a little overwhelmed with getting Pocket Query data you wanted on the device, I've put together this quick quide to try and help.

1) Receive PQs via email from GC.com

2) Download them, unzip them into a dedicated folder I've created for them. I also rename the file at this time to give them a meaningful name for ease of management.

3) With Topo 8, open the files (the GC and Waypoint files) I just unzipped by going to the Draw tab, then file, then import.

4) Now, you'll see your files in the list in Topo 8 as well as view the waypoints/Geocaches on the map.

5) Click on the PN Exchange Dialog button or use the ALT + E Shorcut to send the two files to the PN.

6) The files will now be visible on your PN device and can be used for finding caches!

**This works fine if you don't need to exceed the 1000 cache limit on the PN-40. If you do need to exceed this limit then you'll need to update the device to the 2.7 firmware which will allow you to transfer data between your computer and the PNs SD card which will increase the limit of data to the capacity of your SD card. You'll still be limited to 1,000 waypoints per file but you can have as many of these 1,000 waypoint files as your SD card will handle. I have a 16gb card and as it turns out, this will handle many more caches than I have use for :-)

So if you want/need more than 1000 caches/waypoints on your PN device you will need firmware 2.7 which you can obtain here:

http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?f=1...mp;hilit=pn+pro

So now, under firmware 2.7, after step 6 you've transferred the files to the PN and you can see your caches and their associated waypoints by toggling between their respective screens on the PN. Assuming you had nothing else loaded on there previously, the Geocache and Waypoint data set you loaded is the only thing on the device. I would suggest starting out this way since this will make for Geocache/Waypoint file sets that contain only the info that you originally intended for them to have when you setup your PQ.

Here is where it gets good. You can save the data to the SD card from the Waypoint menu and give it a name. At this moment, the PN "combines" the GC and Waypoint data which was originally separate into one .gpx file.

This is nice because from here on out, when you load the data from the SD card after that, you will be loading the combined GC and Waypoint data set for that PQ and will be able to view them both by toggling between the screens as was intended.

Further, I would suggest that at this point you use the data transfer feature and save this combined file to your computer for safe keeping. This file can then be removed (or accidentally deleted :-) from the SD card and then restored from the backup you have on your computer to the SD card whenever you need it in the future without having to go through all these steps again.

Once you've transferred your new combined data set to your computer you can feel free to delete the waypoints/geocaches from the PN-40's internal memory and repeat this process with your next PQ.

When you are done, you will have all the PQs you want on your SD card and will be able to call them up at will and you'll also have them all safely backed up on your computer.

Once you are ready to try downloading satellite imagery to your device, you'll find a tutorial here.

http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=17301

I spent nearly the whole day yesterday and part of today figuring all this out but I got it working now and am a happy camper. I hope it helps speed you through this process!

Edited by achtung6

Thanks for this quick tutorial! All the PN-40 Christmas gift newbies appreciate it! It finally stopped raining here, so I should be able to get out and get a cache or 2 today!!!

Glad to help out. I spent most of Christmas day and a few hours yesterday figuring things out and getting everything to work as it should. I'd get things to work and then realize that my process needed tweaking to make things work exactly right.

I'm fairly computer literate so I can appreciate what it must be like for someone who is not as big a fan of electronics as I.

So it seemed only right to put together a step by step guide for this step which is what we all want to do as soon as we get our PN device!

It's actually not hard at all if you know the steps. So follow the steps mate!

Edited by achtung6

Loits easier if you spend $10 on the cache register app from delorme.

I haven't tried CR yet and am not against the idea of buying it. From what I've read on the forums, it would seem CR is not friendly to devices running firmware 2.7

I feel that the real value of my tutorial is showing others how to use 2.7 to load as many .gpx files on their device as they want and this may or may not be possible with CR at the moment.

In any case, what 2.7 brings to the device is extremely valuable IMHO. I only ran 2.6 on it for about 1/2 a day and it seemed crazy to take the time to build Pocket Queries only to have all the data all mixed up on the PN internal memory and on top of that, limited to 1000 entries.

I'm still learning so any input or clarification regarding the viability of doing this same thing under 2.7 using CR or any other method that is simpler would be appreciated by all of us here.

I think you're on the beam...CR is easier than Topo8 for PQ management, but if you want to take advantage of the 2.7's multiple gpx file on SD memory, it's best to go the T8 route. We'll have to wait for 2.8 for a CR-friendly version for multiple file support.

I've been intending to write up a more generalized get-your-feet-wet intro for the PN-30/40 for the wiki. Do you mind if I incorporate your write-up into it (*if* I get around to it...I've been carrying this intention for a good week now).

I think you're on the beam...CR is easier than Topo8 for PQ management, but if you want to take advantage of the 2.7's multiple gpx file on SD memory, it's best to go the T8 route.

IMHO, you are doing a great job, achtung, showing enthusiasm and willing to help after two days with your new PN-XX. :lol:

My conclusions, none of which disagree with any post of Embra or TL:

1. CR and 2.6: Easiest to use for transferring PQ results from goecaching.com to your PN-XX.

However, one has to accept a mix of caches, cache, child waypoints and non-cache waypoints in one big mix.

2. CR and 2.7: Can be used to load results of several PQs onto the Internal Storage of a PN in successive loads. In between loads to internal, the results must me transferred to the SD card as individual GPX files using PN menus and PN keystroking to Save and Name the files. The total collection of caches, cache child waypoints and non-cache waypoints is not limited to a maximum of 1,000.

3. Topo 8 and 2.7: Can be used to load results of several PQs onto the External Storage, SD card of a PN in successive loads. Results of several PQs are imported into Topo 8 after unzipping the emailed attachment. Keystroking to rename the files may be accomplished from the PC keyboard prior to exporting to the PN-XX. The total collection of caches, cache child waypoints and non-cache waypoints is not limited to a maximum of 1,000.

My preference is to manage collections of separately based on on geographic loaction and type of waypoint.

Therefore, my current practice is using 2.7.

Furthermore, I prefer to rename the PQ resultant files on this keyboard in preference to the keypad of my PN-40 so I am using Topo 8 rather than CR.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

I already owned "GSAK" when I got the PN30 a few months ago. You have the advantage of all the filtering power of "GSAK" and it is very quick and easy.

After the "send to", all of the geocaches go to the Geocache area, and my owned caches along with the child-waypoints go to the Waypoints area of memory.

"GPSBabel 1.3.7 beta" also works well for moving data on and off your PN. I use it mostly for pulling track logs and converting them to GPX format for logging hikes in "SportTracks", and geotagging photos.

I have been using CR to load goecaches on my GPS and I love how easy it is. But the one downfall is that I load multiple PQ on the unit and there is no way of tell what PQ a geocache is from.

Am I understanding this right, when you load them on the PN-40 using GSAK you can sort the geocaches on the unit by which PQ they came from?

I have been using CR to load goecaches on my GPS and I love how easy it is. But the one downfall is that I load multiple PQ on the unit and there is no way of tell what PQ a geocache is from.

Am I understanding this right, when you load them on the PN-40 using GSAK you can sort the geocaches on the unit by which PQ they came from?

As I understand it, using GSAK, Cache Register or Topo 8 is not the criterion.

The criterion is updating your PN-XX from firmware version 2.6 to 2.7.

With 2.6, all waypoints are stored on the PN's internal memory and the source is transparent to you.

With 2.7, they may be stored on the SD card whereby they can be kept separate, with separate file names, according to PQ source, if you wish.

I think you're on the beam...CR is easier than Topo8 for PQ management, but if you want to take advantage of the 2.7's multiple gpx file on SD memory, it's best to go the T8 route. We'll have to wait for 2.8 for a CR-friendly version for multiple file support.

I've been intending to write up a more generalized get-your-feet-wet intro for the PN-30/40 for the wiki. Do you mind if I incorporate your write-up into it (*if* I get around to it...I've been carrying this intention for a good week now).

Feel free to use any part of my write up and edit as needed. I'm happy to help!

... it seemed crazy to take the time to build Pocket Queries only to have all the data all mixed up on the PN internal memory ...

??? :rolleyes: How would you like it organized?? By distance from current point or alpha seems like it should be enough.

Here is an example....Let's say I run two PQs of 500 waypoints each. I can, as you've stated, load them quite easily using CR to the internal memory on the PN. I will have a total of 1000 waypoints viewable on the PN.

If it happens to be that half of that data are caches I'd prefer not to take my kids to because they are virtuals or whatever the reason may be it's undesireable that they are all mixed into one list on the PN. I'd prefer to keep the results of my PQs as separate .gpx files and the data not be commingled on the screen. When this happens, it defeats the purpose of having run two separate PQs in my view.

As always, your mileage may vary.

... it seemed crazy to take the time to build Pocket Queries only to have all the data all mixed up on the PN internal memory ...

??? :rolleyes: How would you like it organized?? By distance from current point or alpha seems like it should be enough.

Here is an example....Let's say I run two PQs of 500 waypoints each. I can, as you've stated, load them quite easily using CR to the internal memory on the PN. I will have a total of 1000 waypoints viewable on the PN.

If it happens to be that half of that data are caches I'd prefer not to take my kids to because they are virtuals or whatever the reason may be it's undesireable that they are all mixed into one list on the PN. I'd prefer to keep the results of my PQs as separate .gpx files and the data not be commingled on the screen. When this happens, it defeats the purpose of having run two separate PQs in my view.

Wait for fw 2.8 and see if this resolves your issue.

Sounds like you would love the Lowrance Endura series. In unit GPS filtering of Geocache data including size, ratings, type and more. All that and it loads up to 4000 caches with the ability to swap GPX files off of a micro SD card. No need for any external software at all.

Starbrand, can you clarify for me: is that 4000 limit a "hard" limit, or does the microSD multiple file support allow you as many gpx files (and therefore caches) as you have room on external memory?

As you probably know, the PNs will be able to have as many gpx files on the SD card as it can hold, subject to having only 1000 active caches/waypoints at a time in internal memory. My read of your statement is that the Enduras do the same thing but with up to 4000 caches/waypoints active in internal memory at a time. Is that right? I'm just trying to get my facts right.

Apologies for straying a little O.T.

Starbrand, can you clarify for me: is that 4000 limit a "hard" limit, or does the microSD multiple file support allow you as many gpx files (and therefore caches) as you have room on external memory?

As you probably know, the PNs will be able to have as many gpx files on the SD card as it can hold, subject to having only 1000 active caches/waypoints at a time in internal memory. My read of your statement is that the Enduras do the same thing but with up to 4000 caches/waypoints active in internal memory at a time. Is that right? I'm just trying to get my facts right.

Apologies for straying a little O.T.

Apologies from me as well.....

yup 4000 active at a time and the ability to swap them on and off the card.