Day Trips: within an 1hr drive from SW London

Can anyone suggest a nice day out caching somewhere SW of London and not too far outside the M25...

Attributes... Nice walks/views/caches bigger than micros... not too many people?

We did Ockham Common and Wisley Airfield in the summer and it made a nice day out.

Thanks in advance

The Aardvark Family

It really has to be Sadexplorations 'Snow white and the seven dwarfs' series - Box Hill near Dorking on the North Downs, Brilliant views, great N.T tea shop, and fantastic adjacent caches- the best in U.K i reckon !

Train and bus services frequent and local.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCMJ5N

:lol::D:D

Can anyone suggest a nice day out caching somewhere SW of London and not too far outside the M25...

Attributes... Nice walks/views/caches bigger than micros... not too many people?

We did Ockham Common and Wisley Airfield in the summer and it made a nice day out.

Thanks in advance

The Aardvark Family

It really has to be Sadexplorations 'Snow white and the seven dwarfs' series - Box Hill near Dorking on the North Downs, Brilliant views, great N.T tea shop, and fantastic adjacent caches- the best in U.K i reckon !

Train and bus services frequent and local.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCMJ5N

B):):D

take a good map!

other options, if you fancy something a little different, is Sadexplorations Reigate Mega Ramble - its a long multi, but the stages are fantastic, and is probably still our favourite ever cache from over 2200ish. If you make a day of it, there is a smaller multi that you can do afterwards from the same car park, and some trads as well.

Other options are straight down the A3/M3 into North Hampshire, where there are more caching rings than you could know what to do with. Be warned though, some of them are a tad large!

Finally, there are some puzzle circuits in SW London (nr Carshalton) where you can solve the puzzles at home and then simply go out for the walk. Unlike many local puzzles, these ones are solvable! Look for caches by Footsore & Weary. The walks themselves are pleasant and not too taxing, and as always, some trads are available en route!

HTH

Dave

Hi there,

2 enjoyable series of note that are easy for one and all are...

Epsom Downs - a good way to spend a morning by the famous racetrack, and not too strenuous either.

Mugswell Meander - more caches and a slightly larger hike.

;)

I second Mugswell Meander - a loop of 34 (slightly more if you solve a few puzzles first, and have the head for heights to pick off a Cache-U-Nutter offering along the way)

Guildford and Woking look like they have quite a few caches to do. There's also a couple of loops just the other side of Winchester - some are nice and easy but others require constantly leaving the path into the trees and got a little tiresome for me. Winchester may be a little over an hour but it's an easy run down the M3.

As previously said, Mugswell Meander is great - took us about 4 hours in the summer. There's also a smaller series around a lake in Ripley, Surrey - Paperchase Pathways I believe, which is about 2 hours long.

Horton Park near Chessington has 2 sets placed by new.seekers that can be doine together and add up to about 12 caches.Can be done on a bike on paths.

Gordon

As previously said, Mugswell Meander is great - took us about 4 hours in the summer. There's also a smaller series around a lake in Ripley, Surrey - Paperchase Pathways I believe, which is about 2 hours long.

Horton Park near Chessington has 2 sets placed by new.seekers that can be doine together and add up to about 12 caches.Can be done on a bike on paths.

Gordon

If you haven't already done them you can loop through the Horton Country Park, then move on to Epsom Common and pick off a load there too.

HCP is fun on a bike, not too steep anywhere, but best on a hybrid / mountain bike - there are some areas which are gravel and some are muddy. Not something I'd want to do on a purely road bike.