Newbie Success!

PlaidCat

I got my first GPSr for Christmas. So, today four of my children and I set out in the snow and ice to track down a few local caches. We were 3 out of 4 found. :D

We had a blast. The older two (teenagers you know) were not all that sure that Mom's new hobby was cool enough to participate in. After the first two finds, they both decided this was WAY cool enough. :lol:

The younger two were excited about getting to find and trade some treasure. Mom is glad the run in the fresh air helped to wear off some of their youthful, holiday excitement fuelled energy. :D

Anyway, I just wanted to share the blush of first success.

From one cat to another - congratulations!!! Don't forget to check for geocaching events in your area...your teens will probably enjoy those too. Hope you keep having fun and kudos to you for getting the family involved.

Welcome to the "hobby/sport/addiction" and to the forums!

Popoki Iti - Little Cat

Congrats! I was two for three myself. Probably would've done better, but spent two hours looking for my first one. As my wife says: "I'm like a dog with a bone, won't let go of it". I'm going back today (with the whole family) and offering a bribe to whoever finds it, lol. Next step is kidnapping the owner, j/k. Anyways, good job, from one newbie to another!

Hi, PlaidCat, I’m a newbie also, just under one month. That’s amazing, three out of three, congratulations. Off-topic: the small cat that owns me recently discovered that my new Apple Time Capsule is the warmest spot to sit on these cold days. Yes, electronic gadgets are great and so versatile. I just looked for the correct spelling on iPod which has also become my GPS. Anyhoo, I’m obsessed also and have found three traditionals along with 10 easy virtuals and one mystery cache. I live in a city full of caches and want to go out looking every day when the knees and weather are up to it.

So far I’ve had a high DNF rate, hopefully that will improve when I go out again with the just acquired GPS app. I’m close to solving two more mystery caches or so I think; can’t wait to get out looking at more of the steps, somehow the actual find is a slight disappointment because then I have to stop. I’ve been to several caches without success and know who to ask for a hint; at one place it is the guy who runs a nearby store; on another one someone emailed offering a tip but I’m trying to do those with only the logged hints which seem to be spoilers but still I seek.

Geocaching got into the back of my head on the 4th of July ’08 when I stumbled upon what I think was a serial cache for that one day (sorry don’t know the correct wording). Saw someone logging people in and instructing them that they must enter the path from the top of the hill instead of the bottom, they then dropped a penny into a fountain (my temporary avatar) and sped on their way; saw one at the bottom of the hill check what I thought was a cell phone, hop on his bike and tear off down the hill. Then I noticed a couple of people on another forum saying they were geocachers, had to look it up. One less muggle taking surreptitious photos.

I too received a GPS unit for Christmas, and our family went out yesterday for the first time as well. We managed 5 out of 7, came home and logged them and checked encrypted codes. Went to one of the missed ones after church and found it right away with the additional information. We were so surprised at how many caches are within 20 miles of us (201 in an urban area!). This is a new family favorite hobby!

Hello PlaidCat welcome to the sport/hobby/obsession :D It sounds like you're off to a flying start! A word of warning though.. the addiction gets even more intense the more you play! lol Before you know it you'll be planning future vacation trips around potential Geocaching locations :D

:lol: Now how did you know?? I'm going to Japan in the spring and have already looked up caches. I will be buying a travel bug to put in at least one of them. Now - that doesn't sound obsessive in me - just... uhmmm.... ENTHUSIASTIC! (yeah, that's it :D ) LOL

Hello PlaidCat welcome to the sport/hobby/obsession :D It sounds like you're off to a flying start! A word of warning though.. the addiction gets even more intense the more you play! lol Before you know it you'll be planning future vacation trips around potential Geocaching locations :D

:D Now how did you know?? I'm going to Japan in the spring and have already looked up caches. I will be buying a travel bug to put in at least one of them. Now - that doesn't sound obsessive in me - just... uhmmm.... ENTHUSIASTIC! (yeah, that's it ;) ) LOL

The ones with the biggest problem are the first ones to deny it! :rolleyes::D