Batteries - same discussion, different way

ProTrkDvr

Has anyone tried using CR-V3's instead of 2 AA's? I have seen great deals on them. Same voltage (three) and 1300mAh. I Googled it and found rechargeables with a Car and AC charger for under $30! These specs are the same as OEM (DeLorme). Your thoughts are appreciated. ProTrkDvr

It doesn't fit all units. Should fit the PN-40 though. I don't think it will work on the Garmins.

The rechargables are 3.7V I believe. Not sure if it would damage your equipment if it is not specifically designed to use them.

Wikipedia article : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CR-V3_battery

Has anyone tried using CR-V3's instead of 2 AA's? I have seen great deals on them. Same voltage (three) and 1300mAh. I Googled it and found rechargeables with a Car and AC charger for under $30! These specs are the same as OEM (DeLorme). Your thoughts are appreciated. ProTrkDvr

It doesn't fit all units. Should fit the PN-40 though. I don't think it will work on the Garmins.

The rechargables are 3.7V I believe. Not sure if it would damage your equipment if it is not specifically designed to use them.

I have seen them go as high as 2300mAh. I thought as long as I stayed @ the 1300mAh (the same as OEM) it would be safe (as far as rechargeables go). And don't "regular" batteries voltage (pressure) start out higher than 3, and that's what make them last in high drainage devices?

Edited by ProTrkDvr

I have seen them go as high as 2300mAh. I thought as long as I stayed @ the 1300mAh (the same as OEM) it would be safe (as far as rechargeables go). And don't "regular" batteries voltage (pressure) start out higher than 3, and that's what make them last in high drainage devices?

Safe, as in........?

Edited by Team Cotati

Given the choice, why would you want to use such a low capacity battery? These days, 1300 mAh is not even 1/2 of what is commonly available.

So, no, I haven't tried them.

The only reason is that is what the OEM uses. A long with the usual "explosion" warning if non-OEM parts are used.

I am a newbie, and I really don't want to mess up my unit. I am open to ALL suggestions! Thanks.

Safe, as in........?

Not exceeding the OEM specs (they use a 1300mAh rechargeable in the charging kit they sell). I am open to ALL suggestions. Thanks.

Edited by ProTrkDvr

They might be a good option on some GPSr, but on my Venture HC, there's a locking/retaining pin right in the middle of the battery cover. Also, the plastic cradle in the battery compartment is contoured to fit one (1) AA battery on either side fo the locking/retaining pin attachment point, so a CR-V3 wouldn't even fit inside. Also, at a rate of 3.7 volts, it could damage the electronics.

Even though OEM specs tell you to use a 1300 mah battery, increasing the amount of "mah" does not increase the voltage coming off the battery. Most "AA" NiMH batteries produce 1.2 volts from a full charge (2 AAs = 2.4 volts), while your standard "AA" alkaline battery will produce 1.5 volts when fully charged from the factory (2 AAs = 3.0 volts). Increasing the "mah" of a rechargeable battery increases the length of time that the battery will be able to supply the necessary voltage to power your GPSr.

Personally, I use Rayovac Hybrid Rechargeables (2100 mah). I have two in my GPSr, and I keep two more and a pair of regular alkaline batteries in my GPSr belt pouch as spares. When these rechargeables no longer provide a sufficient amount of run-time, I will buy a set of Maha PowerEx Rechargeables (2700 mah). :lol:

Edited by rocketsteve

Given the choice, why would you want to use such a low capacity battery? These days, 1300 mAh is not even 1/2 of what is commonly available.

So, no, I haven't tried them.

The only reason is that is what the OEM uses. A long with the usual "explosion" warning if non-OEM parts are used.

I am a newbie, and I really don't want to mess up my unit. I am open to ALL suggestions! Thanks.

And those CR-V3's are 'approved' by your OEM? This whole dialog is starting to weird me out.

Good luck. :lol:

Edited by Team Cotati

I believe the 'beware of explosions' thing comes from protected vs un protected Li Ions. Unprotected LiIons will overheat if charged beyond 'full.' There are tiny circuit boards inline with the batteries that make them 'protected.' This CB controls the charging and cuts off the charge current when the battery is fully charged.

Edited by Minimike2

I believe the 'beware of explosions' thing comes from protected vs un protected Li Ions. Unprotected LiIons will overheat if charged beyond 'full.' There are tiny circuit boards inline with the batteries that make them 'protected.' This CB controls the charging and cuts off the charge current when the battery is fully charged.

THATS the ticket I was looking for....When shopping for rechargables then, how do you identify 'protected' from 'unprotected'? Also, from some of the forums I read, the charger also makes a big difference. Some will go to trickle charge after charging is complete. I'll assume (Hate that word), this also prevents 'explosions'?

THATS the ticket I was looking for....When shopping for rechargables then, how do you identify 'protected' from 'unprotected'? Also, from some of the forums I read, the charger also makes a big difference. Some will go to trickle charge after charging is complete. I'll assume (Hate that word), this also prevents 'explosions'?

Unless you're shopping for individual lithium ion cells (like the 18650) you shouldn't even have to worry about that. I have yet to hear about a NiMH spontaneously combust (though now that I said this, someone would probably offer some examples). The RCR-V3 should be protected - just make sure you pick up a reputable battery and charger if you're going to use it. I don't have any recommendations since none of my equipment takes CR-V3.

After reading your last post, it seems as though you're only focused on using Li Ion batteries in your GPSr. Might I suggest that you consider using NiMH batteries instead. In addition to being more plentiful and having a larger selection to choose from, they don't have the overheating problems like Li Ions do.

As far as chargers are concerned, there are two basic types of chargers being sold today for NiMH rechargeable batteries. The first type has a micro chip controller that regulates the charge and puts the charger into a trickle (or standby) mode when the batteries have reached full capacity. The second type also has a chip to regulate the charge, but instead of going into a trickle mode, it shuts the charger off completely. With a "trickle charger", the unit will come back on only to top-off the batteries when they drop below full capacity, and then go back onto standby when it is done. When the standard charger shuts off, the batteries will receive no "top-off" and they will start to gradually self-discharge as all rechargeables do. In both cases, the micro chip controller stops the charging process when the batteries have reached full capacity.

I've used reachargeable batteries for over 20 years and I've never had one exploded on me. That's not saying that it couldn't happen, but the odds of it happening are so low, that it's not even worth worrying about. :rolleyes:

Edited by rocketsteve

First of all, thanks for all the help. I am thinking DeLorme is worried about overcharging being a possibility using an in-car charger. That is why they use a low mAh battery. From what I read so far. As long as I use a branded battery, and a good quality charger. Just about anything goes. If I want to use the car charger or AC charger, hooked up to my GPSr, use the OEM kit. Once again, thanks for all those who posted.