headart

HI everyone!

Santa brought my 9 yo duaghter a Geomate Jr for Christmas. WE took it out today while walking the dog. All we found was a drunk! LOL! lil scary! I did update the Geomate Jr with the cable but it doesn't match what I am seeing on the GC.com website.

For example. One cache is .3 miles from our home.

The closest cache on the Geomate Jr is 1.4 miles.

whats the deal?

Hi & welcome to Geocaching :lol:

I don't have a Geomate Jr. but from what I understand of them, they don't have *every* geocache stored in their memory.. They use a filter that is set to include only caches that are of a specific difficulty/terrain rating, and also the cache can't be too new. Probably other filters too.. Maybe the one .3 miles away was exempted from their list for some reason..

HI everyone!

Santa brought my 9 yo duaghter a Geomate Jr for Christmas. WE took it out today while walking the dog. All we found was a drunk! LOL! lil scary! I did update the Geomate Jr with the cable but it doesn't match what I am seeing on the GC.com website.

For example. One cache is .3 miles from our home.

The closest cache on the Geomate Jr is 1.4 miles.

whats the deal?

G'day

My name's Waz, and I work for the company that makes the Geomate.jr. Another poster is right - the FACTORY list is pre-filtered (to give the initial list some staying power etc) and doesn't include all caches. However, as it looks like you have the Update Kit, go to the "Select an Update" section of the Update area - here you can select either East or West USA. Each of these list contain ALL caches up to a difficulty 4.

I hope this helps!

Cheers

Waz

We're new owners of the GeoMate Jr. too! We're taking the thing everywhere we go and finding caches (my six year old son LOVES it). There are a lot of caches on the site that aren't showing up (haven't purchased updater yet--will soon, though!), but today we found four by checking the site for the area, noting the coordinates, and finding the caches by using the directions. A good lesson for the kid, too. The small booklet with your GeoMate should explain how to go into the correct mode. Happy hunting!