Someone going around and stealing coins and TB's

Phil Andrews

I don't like to use the word steal but today I went to a new cache that was posted yesterday. The owner had dropped a coin and the ftf swapped coins. The STF added a tb.

I was third to find today and noticed the first two logs but no coin or tb

This is starting to get ridiculous. My buddy has a coin logged in his cache that had been activated and dropped in his cache but it is now missing.

It seems now that all the caches that have trackables that I go to are missing.

Sorry, I just needed to rant

:lol:

Sometimes people don't log the trackables they take in a timely manner. It has happened to me, I sit down to log my finds and DNFs and the trackables I grabbed are still in the bottom of my caching bag which is likely locked in the trunk of my car. So sometimes it takes me a day or two to get around to them. I try to do them at the same time I post my logs because as a coin owner, I appreciate timely logging of my travelers. People generally do the best they can.

Yes, there are plenty of thieves out there who love to take coins and TBs too. But 9 out of 10 times, it is just a lag in logging them. :lol:

Sometimes people don't log the trackables they take in a timely manner.
But those people do at least sign the log book in the cache. In this case, the last log book signature was by the guy who dropped the TB.

Apologies - when the OP said "log" I thought they meant the on-line log. :lol:

I love to go after coins and tb's and promptly move them along but lately it seems there have been a rash of missing stuff in the Maple Valley and surrounding area. I do have one coin but I won it in a raffle at a cito event at Mt. Rainier this spring. It's a Lacky coin. I also have a tb attached to my dog. Gabby Dog Tag(tb21amd)

Edited by pca6661
I love to go after coins and tb's and promptly move them along but lately it seems there have been a rash of missing stuff in the Maple Valley and surrounding area. I do have one coin but I won it in a raffle at a cito event at Mt. Rainier this spring. It's a Lacky coin. I also have a tb attached to my dog. Gabby Dog Tag(tb21amd)

I hear you about the rash of missing coins. I love to release coins but have gotten very picky about the caches I release them into around where I live because of theft too. I find that most coin thieves don't want to work too hard to get to a cache (so higher difficulty or terrain ratings) or pay for membership making PMO caches a little bit safer. I do put a request on my coin's page to put them back into those types of caches. I don't know if it works really cause a lot of people don't seem to read them...lol...but I refuse to stop releasing them all together.

I have mailed some coins overseas to be dropped where they seem to live a LOT longer. The geocoin section of the board has a thread with volunteers from all over the world who are willing to drop coins for other cachers. That has been really fun to do too! :lol: