Bench Marks

AngieA

There is / was a whole discussion on this topic - do a search here on it....

Has anyone poked around the Canadian Spatial Reference System online database? It appears to contain the Canadian survey data. Registration is required but access is provided immediately.

http://www.geod.nrcan.gc.ca/index_e.php

Am I missing something or are Canadians just simply not as jazzed up about benchmark searches as the Americans are?

numbers are numbers,, I grabbed a few Benchmark while in the US a while ago.

The word I heard on Benchmarks and Groundspeak it that the Cdn Govt offers this information for free and is not going to let Groundspeak charge user to access the data,,

No biggy as far as I am concerned, you can always grab a Benchmark Waymark if it is listed there and get your numbers up on those..

I have a few waymarked, I always thought that it is a good way to assist surveyors by letting them know the monuments are still OK,,

I was a surveyor in the army and hated it when a survey marker was gone missing,,

Using the Canadian Geodetic survey site I managed to figure out that you have to figure out which map they're on -ie- we live in a map region numbered 42-g-12 . Topographic paper maps are defined this way. Then using that map number I downloaded the benchmark data for this region, and found several BM's that way. Basically it's a text file, that lists all the information for each benchmark. Some are only Vertical Control Markers - used for height above sea level. The ones you're looking for are Brass/Bronze Cap for a traditional BM, or I've found a Self-Centering Disc, an electronic device that sends info directly to the Government through a data link. This one is a Trimble unit, mounted on a cement pillar on bedrock. There are 3 triangulation BM's nearby.

So the information IS THERE. It's just a time-consuming and labourious process in finding the data that YOU need.

Denis.

e-mail me if you want to chat more about it.

So the information IS THERE. It's just a time-consuming and labourious process in finding the data that YOU need.

denisetdoris, have you found any "easy" ways to convert and import the Natural Resources Canada dataset? The formats they provide aren't easy to work with as you indicate. The geobase.ca site provides a subset of the same data in a slightly easier to work with format but many of the locations aren't included.