Speaking street names on a Nuvi 500

TJdamon

I just noticed on the Garmin site that the Nuvi 500 should speak street names but mine doesn't. Any ideas?

The Firmware update and Voices update is needed plus you need to select a Voice that includes "TTS" in the name. Most of the available Voices on the Nuvi do NOT speak street names, and just say "Turn left in 300 metres(/.2 mile)".

Bob

When the 500/550 came out the 500 did not have the speaking street name functionally among some other minor features that the 550 had. At some point Garmin decided to make the two units identical except for the maps they came with.

If you have a 500 with the older firmware like mine came with all you have to do is download the latest updates on Garmins site. There are several other features added that escape me at the moment added among bug fixes but they are listed when you go to update.

It was a very large download from what I remember as the voice files are large but once its done you will be good to go.

It was a very large download from what I remember as the voice files are large but once its done you will be good to go.

I finally got around to doing this with my nuvi 500 yesterday. I've known how for quite some time but spoken street names wasn't real high on my priority list, however I was updating the firmware from 3.40 to 3.50 anyway so what the heck.

Anyway, I only added the two American English TTS files and the download and update was pretty quick via a DSL connection. The other voice files can be ignored unless, of course, you want your nuvi to speak in another language.

And that brings up an interesting question: Does anyone know if there are any consequences for deleting the voice files I'll never use from the Garmin\Voice directory?

Thanks

Pete