Why camo?

bittsen

As a hunter in the past and having a liking for military gear; camo clothing was just a natural choice for me to wear in the timber. I usally only wear BDU pants.

A few other reasons are...

1) lots of pockets

2) cheaper than cargo pants at Cabella's so if I tear they up it's no problem

3) seem to breath better in the summer (my light weight pair are nice an cool)

4) seem to be heavier so they are warmer (my heavy pair)

5) durability

6) so the ammo cans think I'm a "friendly" and don't conceal themselves as much :)

7) they cool cool! :o

I have had muggles walk right by my while I was off trail and they didn't see me. That is a good thing for them and me.

I would guess the two main reasons for wearing camo would be, A. someone already has them for other outdoor use, and B. some people just like the way they look.

My favorite caching outfit would be bib overalls and a T shirt, when it is warm. And bib overalls and a sweat shirt when it is cooler. :)

Camo clothes = marketing (another way to make money off of you!);

Camo GPSr units (never did make any sense to me!);

camo boots (whose idea was that one?);

camo undies (GMAB) -- a friend owns nothing but;

camo pajamas (this makes sense if you don't wanna be bothered by your mate);

camo bedspreads and sheets (goes with above);

camo vehicles -- Hey, Ted Nugent had the right idea;

Just seems to be the "stylish" thing to do.

Maybe we need some camo light bulbs.

;):o:D:D:)

I prefer my black windbreaker and black pants and a shirt without a graphic, so muggles tend to stay away from the official looking person. I've also learned the head nod from a police friend, and use that to deter officers.

It's kind of the theory that I learned off a "don't get caught smoking weed" informative image (I don't, I just read the tips) that if you look like you're a troublemaker, trouble will be made. So, I keep up my look, and people don't bother me, and have a harder time disbelieving me. All I need is a geocaching stitching or patch, and I'll be invincible.

Edited by sicariusdracus

Can someone tell me why they make a blaze orange hat in camo? :)

Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron?

519MLtrP2UL._AA280_.jpg

Safety... many critters are colour blind.... like deer... some have really good colour visions... like people.

There are many issues when it comes to remaining hidden... reverse them IF you wish to be found.

Doug

I didn't realize there was a dress code for geocaching. :lol:

I'm likely to be found in ordinary casual hiking gear--jeans, fleece jacket, hiking boots. I'd like to pick up a pair of fleece lined ski-pants for winter caching. I already have a warm parka, hat and gloves.

Maybe this is a regional thing, but hiking gear doesn't come in camo at my local outfitter. Black, tan or green solids seem to be the typical choices.

It suddenly occurred to me that some people seem to like wearing camo clothing to go caching.

Why is that? You aren't trying to hide from prey or animals while geocaching so why would camo gear make a difference?

Second part.

What do you wear when caching? What's your gear?

Here in the Pacific Northwest it can get downright COLD for example today was no exception windy and cold but sunny. As a previous poster said some of the warmest and best clothing is made for hunters, for example I wear FILSON coats and those things are warm even in the windiest areas and yes they are CAMO for hunters, I think they are so warm because depending on what you are hunting you will sit without any movement for hours on end so you need something warm. BITTSEN for example I got your MHVC 9 cache today and I gotta tell you the wind was blowing and it was cold. Nice hide BTW

ScubaSonic

I own a lot of camo for hunting purposes, but when it comes to geocaching, it is a Carhartt jacket to keep those pesky thorns back. All my camo clothes are soft and made to make as little noise as possible. Oh, and plaid shirts to throw people off. Only good old boys wear plaid shirts.

Here in the Pacific Northwest it can get downright COLD for example today was no exception windy and cold but sunny. As a previous poster said some of the warmest and best clothing is made for hunters, for example I wear FILSON coats and those things are warm even in the windiest areas and yes they are CAMO for hunters, I think they are so warm because depending on what you are hunting you will sit without any movement for hours on end so you need something warm. BITTSEN for example I got your MHVC 9 cache today and I gotta tell you the wind was blowing and it was cold. Nice hide BTW

ScubaSonic

Glad you liked the #9 cache. One more to go. I thought about hiding it today but where I wanted to hide it seems a little too close to caches and a multi, according to Google Maps.

Yeah, it was too windy for me to want to do any caching today. I don't own any wind pants. I decided to stay warm today instead of going out.

It makes sense that people would wear camo because that's what they have for hunting, I suppose. I thought of the dirt factor also. If you get camo dirty, who would know. What doesn't make sense is if people were wearing camo because they just associate camo and the woods. Unless they got a cool pink camo pepper spray container ~L~

I pretty much wear a lightweight pair of pants and a ski jacket while caching. I wore my leather jacket a couple of times but the blackberry bushes made short work of that. I'm going to have to think about my outdoor gear. Getting out more is one of my new years resolutions.

Can someone tell me why they make a blaze orange hat in camo? :lol:

519MLtrP2UL._AA280_.jpg

Safety... many critters are colour blind.... like deer... some have really good colour visions... like people.

There are many issues when it comes to remaining hidden... reverse them IF you wish to be found.

Doug

The manufacturers will tell you that deer are color-blind but have pretty good vision and an excellent recognition of patterns. Few things in the woods are one solid color, so a deer might spook at a hat or vest that is solid-colored but is less likely to if there is a pattern breaking up the field of color. Therefore a plain orange ball cap sells for $2.99 but the same hat with a cool pattern sells for $14.99.

The law will tell you (at least here in Alabama) that you must wear at least 144 square inches of blaze orange visible from any direction... thus a vest or hat, but plain orange is boring, so retailers dress it up with some cool woodsy pattern and jack up the price.

The truth is that hunting gear is like fishing gear... it's designed to attract buyers, not animals! I often hunt in street clothes, it's never made a bit of difference. Deer will smell you long before they see you, and the clothes you're wearing won't change that.

Deer aren't too smart, you can wear neon and as long as you don't move in a threatening way or smell different than what they expect they'll pretty much walk up and nibble your shoelaces.

The outfitters will, of course, offer a differing opinion on that! They'll sell you a ghillie suit that will make you almost completely invisible. What they won't tell you is that you'll sweat so much getting in to your hunting place wearing one of those things that deer can smell you from hundreds of yards away. You need buck lure and the wind on your side to successfully hunt deer dressed like that.

Turkey are different. Those little buggers have magical 3D full-color eyesight and can spot the wily hunter a mile away. They have radar, and supersonic hearing, and are a primary prey of everything else out there so they're scared of their own shadow. You must have good camo and God on your side to successfully hunt turkey.

So, why wear camo geocaching? Because it looks woodsy, and it's what we have a closet full of! :D

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Can someone tell me why they make a blaze orange hat in camo? :lol:

519MLtrP2UL._AA280_.jpg

Doug

most animals are color blind...camo could come in any color you wish and it wouldn't matter to the animal, what camo does is break up the shape or silloute of humans...wearing blaze ornage is for safety and the camo on the orange helps break up the person while still hiding you from animals...make sense?

As a hunter in the past and having a liking for military gear; camo clothing was just a natural choice for me to wear in the timber. I usally only wear BDU pants.

A few other reasons are...

1) lots of pockets

2) cheaper than cargo pants at Cabella's so if I tear they up it's no problem

3) seem to breath better in the summer (my light weight pair are nice an cool)

4) seem to be heavier so they are warmer (my heavy pair)

5) durability

6) so the ammo cans think I'm a "friendly" and don't conceal themselves as much :lol:

7) they cool cool! :D

I have had muggles walk right by my while I was off trail and they didn't see me. That is a good thing for them and me.

Wow I'm liking those BDU pants too, lots of sizes, amazing prices and good selection. Discount sections is scary good.

I don't wear anything special for geocaching normally (unless dressing for the weather). I normally wear cargo pants and bright coloured t-shirts. If I need a jacket is usually dark red (spring jacket) or orange (winter jacket). I also wear a hat, but I wear it everywhere so its not hobby specific.

One thing I do carry just for caching is a bag I gave the original name of "my geocaching bag". Its a green canvas messenger style bag (it was labelled as a "jump bag" in the store - I think its a remake of a bag a paratrooper would jump with, but in essence its just a canvas messenger bag). In the bag I carry the following:

extra batteries for my GPS

USB cable for GPS

pens & mechanical pencils for signing logs

trail food (usually granola bars)

first aid kit

bug spray

sun block

gloves (for when I need to stick my hands in dirty places)

flashlight

GPS

compass

emergency whistle

caribiner

ziplock bags

stoop & scoop bags (optional if one caches without a canine companion :rolleyes:

I often carry trade items in it as well, and when I am on multi-day trips, a netbook computer.

The bag & its various contents have served me well.

I have a few sets of camo.

1-Plumbing gear for work.. Lets me drive up to a lot of places in the big ol truck and blend into the urban landscape with the afore mentioned hardhat and vest and carharts.

2-Dog poop bags.. Lets you walk around staring at the ground and under bushes without anyone paying you any attention. Unless its out in places where dogs are allowed and expected to just crap all over the place.

2b-Dog leashes.. Lets me tramp around places under the guise of 'letting the dogs out of the car on the side of the road cuz they been in there for a couple hundred miles or so'. Same would work with kids... side of the road pee stop and without the leashes(or maybe with).

I got a t-shirt for getting the FTF on this cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

Actually, the t-shirt in the cache had been chewed up by the local fauna, and was too small for me, anyway. The CO graciously mailed me a new shirt, in my size. I have used it many times as "urban camo" and have never had a single person ever give me any grief when I have worn it.

Across the back, it reads "SALT LAKE CITY FIRE DEPARTMENT"

I cache in whatever I happen to be wearing at the time.

It is odd though that if I am at home and about to go geocaching, I do wear my cammo pants... I think it's because of all the extra pockets but then again... I never use them all so... hmm.. maybe I just like to feel all cool and stuff...

Good question.

In the summer I'm usually wearing hiking shorts (synthetic with many pockets), synthetic t shirt, hiking boots and wool socks.

In the late fall/early spring it's hiking pants (synthetic with many pockets), synthetic t-shirt, fleece shirt and perhaps a windblocking fleece jacket or vest depending on temps, hiking boots and wool socks.

In the winter it's usually hiking pants with polypropylene long underwear, all of the fall/early spring apparel and

a waterproof/breathable hooded shell. Also a town vest and extra fleece pullover in my pack,hiking boots and wool socks - and crampons if needed.

I have no camo but for some reason all my hiking pants and shorts are khaki and a lot of my shirts and vests are some shade of dark or olive green.

I really don't see that much camo in this area.

I have no camo but for some reason all my hiking pants and shorts are khaki and a lot of my shirts and vests are some shade of dark or olive green.

I really don't see that much camo in this area.

Khaki and green ? CAMO ! Quite a few still pick neutral/natural colors to "blend in" with the environs.

We'll call it - Camo Light :rolleyes:

I think it may be demographics or population segments.

In my area or upstate NY (where we LOVE to go salmon/steelhead fishing) no one looks twice at someone in camo. That's starting to change a bit here, now that "tourists" from NY/NJ are moving in.

My favorite brush/thorn pants are wranglers with heavy cordura nylon on the legs - I've only found 'em in camo.

But if we're heading to Jersey or farther SW from Allentown to Philly, where a bearded guy wearing camo might put you on a neighborhood watch list quick, , 5.11 nylon cargo pants/shirts in various shades of green, brown or khaki are worn. Keeps the sheeple calm.

I always wear cammo while hunting urbans - that cammo being a hard hat and orange safety vest. No one ever gives me a second look. :D

This kind of outfit backfired on me a couple of weeks ago. I was looking for a micro near a bridge in the centre of a small village. There was a lot of muggle activity so I slipped on the orange vest that I wear at work. Seemed to work at first, but then someone noticed my company's logo on my back and started to ask why a railway worker was showing so much interest in a village that is miles away from a railway line? :rolleyes:

Exactly! Same for me. It just seems more aesthetically pleasing to me to blend in somewhat with nature when I'm out in it. Also makes me less conspicuous to passersby.

I always wear cammo while hunting urbans - that cammo being a hard hat and orange safety vest. No one ever gives me a second look. ;)

This kind of outfit backfired on me a couple of weeks ago. I was looking for a micro near a bridge in the centre of a small village. There was a lot of muggle activity so I slipped on the orange vest that I wear at work. Seemed to work at first, but then someone noticed my company's logo on my back and started to ask why a railway worker was showing so much interest in a village that is miles away from a railway line? :D

Heck, anyone who ever saw "Ghostbusters" (where I think some may have gotten the idea) knows that ! :rolleyes:

DarkZen and Beautiful - has that really worked for you ?

I actually went so far as to put a clipboard and a cheapy white hardhat in my trunk once, thinking it might be a good idea... Until a few LEO friends said it's not so smart.

In most "urban" areas, the local police are aware of what's going on in their vicinity (road repair, bridge test, etc.).

Parading around in a vest and hard hat (read, impersonating a public official) could possibly land you in the hoosegow.

In southern Arkansas, camo clothing is simply a part of your every day wardrobe whether you are going hunting, or not. Wal-Mart (of course) is full of people wearing camo. Camo is even considered the popular thing to wear to school. I have a cousin who constantly wears camo so that he can be ready to go hunting at a moments notice. Thankfully, I live in central Arkansas where it is not so prevalent in the metro area.

For me, a good pair of jeans, and a nice non-camoed shirt is all I need to go hunting for geocaches. :rolleyes:

It suddenly occurred to me that some people seem to like wearing camo clothing to go caching.

Why is that? You aren't trying to hide from prey or animals while geocaching so why would camo gear make a difference?

Second part.

What do you wear when caching? What's your gear?

The only thing I wear that is camouflaged is my backpack. My geocaching backpack doubles as my hunting pack, so camo was the preferable color. I prefer REI, and Mountain Hardwear pants due to there durability. True Milspec "rip stop clothing" which most often is camouflaged is quite durable for walking through thick brush, briars, and other natural environments.

If you stick to "Park & Grab" caches, their is no real use for camo gear.

Hike-on.jpg

Edited by Kit Fox

Nearly invariably a red shirt and jeans and extraordinarily improper shoes like flip-flops or semi-rugged Mary Janes. Because my husband is a total muggle, and I'm usually caching to escape from being the wife and Mommyperson. I just grab my geobag and shout "I'm escaping!" through the crack of the closing door. If I have time to plan a big caching trip for the whole family (right) I'll have my hiking boots, jeans and a shirt that isn't red or some other hideously bright color.