Explorist 500 wont show geocaches

sfe

Hello!

My 2 year old Explorist 500 suddenly decided not to show any geocaches. It shows the regular POI's and seems to work fine except for the geocaches. If I try to look at separate caches in the files it looks like the files are empty but they're still around 10kB if I look at them through a PC. Have tried everything I can think of, new files, internal memory vs. SD and so on.

Anyone have a clue what this is about? Damaged firmware? Damaged hardware?

I will be greatful for all advices. I don't want to buy a new GPS. They might come reasonable in the states but in Sweden, where I live, a new Explorist 500 (They're dicontinued, I know.) will set you back at about $700 and a Triton even more, just to give you an idea.

I have searched for a firmware update but could not find anything. Your link takes me to the FAQ section and just that. Maybe because I sit in Sweden and not in the US? A comment I read in a forum somewere stated that Magellan had removed the firmware updates for the Explorist series from their homsite and instead refers to their representatives around the world. (To be able to charge for the update one supposes.)

If anyone can link me to a firmware file I will be very happy.

The swedish representative of Magellan actually has their office at walking distance from my work so if I do not find a sollution before that I will contact them as soon as the holidays are over. I'm afraid, though, that what they will charge for their efforts wont make it worthwile.

Edited by sfe

Hello!

My 2 year old Explorist 500 suddenly decided not to show any geocaches. It shows the regular POI's and seems to work fine except for the geocaches. If I try to look at separate caches in the files it looks like the files are empty but they're still around 10kB if I look at them through a PC. Have tried everything I can think of, new files, internal memory vs. SD and so on.

Anyone have a clue what this is about? Damaged firmware? Damaged hardware?

I will be greatful for all advices. I don't want to buy a new GPS. They might come reasonable in the states but in Sweden, where I live, a new Explorist 500 (They're dicontinued, I know.) will set you back at about $700 and a Triton even more, just to give you an idea.

Have you opened the file with notepad to make sure it's a good file?

On a separate note, If you were ever going to buy a new unit, consider buying it directly from a private party in the US. You could save a few hundred dollars.

Edited by bittsen

I have searched for a firmware update but could not find anything. Your link takes me to the FAQ section and just that. Maybe because I sit in Sweden and not in the US? A comment I read in a forum somewere stated that Magellan had removed the firmware updates for the Explorist series from their homsite and instead refers to their representatives around the world. (To be able to charge for the update one supposes.)

If anyone can link me to a firmware file I will be very happy.

The swedish representative of Magellan actually has their office at walking distance from my work so if I do not find a sollution before that I will contact them as soon as the holidays are over. I'm afraid, though, that what they will charge for their efforts wont make it worthwile.

You might try this link for software updates.

obsolete Maggys link

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

My GPS is once again showing geocaches!!!! :D:D

THANK YOU very, very much for your help and consideration.

The tricky part in this was finding out how to download the update. You see, I got stuck at the Magellan side where you can choose you GPS model and then in another window will choose the software to update but there wasn't any "firmware" listed. I simply got stuck and did not notice the link to "discontinued products".

THANK YOU very much once again! :D