So for Christmas I got the Tomtom ONE 130S

Lookin' over that referenced topic, to me I think it would be a lot easier to use the Tom Tom as a Driving GPS only, and you'd be better off getting a Hand held GPSr for the geocaching.

JMHO, of course. If you're good with additional software programs, then it does appear that some are available out there but that's not the route I would go. Seems like too much work to me.

I have 2 hand helds so far (3rd on order for my daughter ~ a Garmin) and a car GPS as well. (all Magellan's for me) and the car one doesn't use the same coordinate method as the hand helds do. The hand held GPSr's utilize the specific coordinate format (that's the better word, format rather than method) that geocaching uses.

Again, that's just my opinion. Hope this helps though....

Having owned and used one I believe the Garmin Nuvi series is much better suited to geocaching than any TomTom...but that's just my opinion.

Even though I started with a Nuvi, and it did an excellent job navigating me to nearly every cache (typically within 10-15 feet), I ended up replacing it with a Colorado 400t before I trashed the Nuvi. Most of these automotive GPS units can't take the abuse a geocacher typically inflicts on their GPS...after a few close calls dropping my Nuvi (once I missed a puddle by less than a foot) I replaced it with the Colorado and gave the Nuvi to my girlfriend.

Good luck!

Well that's another good point. Thanks fegan, for mentioning it.

The car GPSr's aren't anywhere near water and/or shock resistant as the hand held units made for geocaching are. (Duh! Why didn't I think of that??? :o )

That said, I wouldn't dream of taking my car GPSr out to look for a cache. Anywhere! I do a lot of bushwhacking, and them car units... Well, ya know, there ain't no Roads out there where I look for caches! :);)

They are good for getting you to parking.

The road units? Well... yes they should be good for getting to the Parking coords that some cache pages list as a suggestion.

Hmm.... Now I need to consider a way to Convert the Cache coords format to the Roadmate GPSr format.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Or are you saying that GSAK can do that for me? If so, will GSAK also work with the Magellan Roadmate 1200?

While I agree in principle with Cowboy Camper, someone just dipping a toe into the geocaching water probably doesn't want to spend out on a reasonable hand-held GPSr while there's a chance they won't like the activity. If you already have a GPSr that can be pressed into geocaching service for a few caches, that seems the most sensible way to go; more sensible IMO than buying (say) an eTrex H or Geomate Jr just to try when you just know that you'll want a mapping GPSr if you get bitten by the bug and hence the cheapie GPSr you bought just to try will soon become an expensive paperweight no matter what.

JMHO,

Geoff

I personally don't use my TomTom but a truck driver where I work does. He puts it in pedestrian and 4X4 mode and it will give him a bearing straight to the cache similar to a handheld. He says it usually gets him close enough to GZ to get him a find.

I use mine to get me close to the path to the cache.