First Find

monkeykat

I apologize if this has been done before, but the quality search filter didn't turn up much for a search on "first" and when I tried "first find" I got the less than 5 character error.

Well, what I thought would be fun, would be if anyone would care to share some stories of their first benchmarking finds. I know I would love to hear about some of the more prolific benchmarkers first finding trips, exciting or boring, it would be fun to read.

As for myself, I just pulled up the nearest marks near my house and went for a walk. There were several within a mile of my house. There is a nearby christian college to my house and several marks were nearby. My first true find was OF2407. It was a good description, and took a small bit of digging at the sight to expose the mark. It was fun to find though. I wanted to get some searching under my belt because a few days later I would be traveling to the Adirondacks near Tupper Lake and wanted some experience before I did some runs up there.

So I had one clear find of the AZ Mark, one 99% certain find of a mark with the ID spray painted on the road but the mark underwater, and a DNF in a regraded area for Day 1. I went for a few marks near my parents house too that day. An easy church steeple find, and several reference marks.

Didn't take much to get me hooked.

The earliest one I remember was about 1960 give or take several years. I found LE0254 and didn't have a clue what it was for. After I learned about benchmarks, I couldn't find it again. Possibly it was a victim of expanded parking. The only thing left to do on it is a 2-block leveling run from another mark to find out how deep it would be if still there.

The first one I found after learning that they could be logged on line was a trivial one, NJ0542, literally a walk in the park, and one that had been logged by someone else.

Fun topic. Like Bill93, I have two answers. I have a vivid childhood memory of the first time I ever saw a disk and I am guessing it probably one of the reference marks for LX4439 BALD HILL RESET. I also rode within sight of LX4467 MATTEWAN HOSP FOR INSANE STK almost every day for about 12 years.

My first find logged here was a pretty cool one, ET0931 part of the 1924 USC&GS survey of the boundary between Maricopa and Yavapai counties. The counties hired the C&GS to do the survey to settle a dispute between them, and they did a full triangulation network to complete the survey. At irregular (but elevated) intervals along the boundary, tri stations were set, and once the triangulation was completed an offset was measured from the stations to set monuments on the boundary line.

ef93d500-971c-4b91-baab-f02c26931c84.jpg.

I don't have a good picture showing it on this one, but on the third side of the monument is an engraved plaque giving the bearing and distance to the next monument in each direction along the border.

Edited by southpawaz

I had just gotten a job with a surveying firm in Ohio. The boss was planning a survey for the next week and needed to tie it into the national network. He send me out to find a USC&GS triangulation station on a farm. He handed me the description and, I thought, no problem. I drove to the farm, obtained permission and walked to the fence line mentioned in the description. Then I realized the problem. The two RMs were in the fenceline BUT THE STATION WAS OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PIG STY!!!!. We measured from the RMs, dug down a foot or so and found the mark. I never did know if the boss used the mark... or if it was some sort of initiation! The year was about 1974.

GeorgeL

NGS

Wow! Memory is a remarkable thing. While I struggle to recall things that happened last week, my memory is vivid of walking to school in the first grade, and my brother pointing out to me this shiny metal disk in a large rock. We didn't know what the heck it was - thought it might be the cap for a hole drilled through the rock deep into the earth. We were very intimidated by the message about a $250 fine for disturbing the mark, so I got nervous when my brother tried to remove the cap to see what was under it. Needless to say, he was unsuccessful, and we walked past that mark every school day for eight years. (1961-1969)

I don't think it is still there, but will look more closely next time I'm in the area. It was a USGS mark, not in the NSRS, and it no longer shows up on topo maps, but here is a shot of the 1935 USGS topo which shows its location.

48d9f4f7-ab87-41a2-9962-385820ac2db1.jpg

I'm not a surveyor, but my first find of a benchmark was well before the benchmark section on geocaching.com existed. One of my semi-regular hiking routes happened to go right over ROSE (DX4677) a couple miles from our house. It took some poking around on the Orange County and NOAA/NGS websites to figure out what it was, but I did. I thought it was such fun, I made it into a virtual geoache (a type no longer allowed for new geocaches).

Some searching on geocaching located more around the country that had been made into virtual geocaches, so over the next months I found another one (DX4264), and submitted it as another virtial geocache. I got a note from an admin (Jeremy, I believe), saying basically "we're not approving this, just hold the phone, we're working on something related". Soon, along came the benchmarking section on geocaching.com. I was then "requested" to archive my virtual goecache of ROSE, and it has since been completely scrubbed (no history of it even). So, I guess my (and others) idea of making benchmarks into virtual gecaches might have "nudged" Jeremy & folks into creating the bechmarking section of geocaching!

Slightly related to my previous post. Below might be of some interest. This is an email to me (and others!) from Jeremy at Geocaching.com, announcing the start of the new geocaching.com Benchmarks Hunting section. I don't think Jeremy will mind my posting a copy of this for historical purposes:

5/15/2002

Greetings from Geocaching.com -

We're introducing a variation of Geocaching called Benchmark Hunting! (US Only, unfortunately) Initially we're making it only available to subscribers in order to give you the first look at it and offer any suggestions you have. After logging into the geocaching site, go to this URL:

http://www.geocaching.com/mark

<A HREF="http://www.geocaching.com/mark">For URL Challenged Browsers</A>

In many cases a GPS unit isn't required, but can be quite helpful to find these markers. We've been waiting for a while to launch this, and now that we have the capacity to store the 700,000 benchmarks in the US we can finally let folks play with it.

We're testing a new image upload feature that allows you to upload images of many different formats which will be automatically converted to JPG on the site. We've also upped the image size to around 4 megs, though it will be shrunk down after the upload. In addition you can apply coordinates to the image.

We've also created a hidden forum for subscribers to discuss the new section. The link is on the front page of the Benchmark Hunting page. Feel free to start a topic there if you have any questions about the new section.

Hope you enjoy it! I'd also like to introduce Elias who was able to sort through the USGS documentation to convert the data into something useful. Elias is the "wizard behind the curtain" in many aspects of the Geocaching.com site.

Cheers,

Jeremy Irish

President, Groundspeak

[Notice the mention in the last paragraph of the "USGS documentation". Oops!

-- Klemmer]

This is a fun thread, and seeing some of the history is great. My first find was pretty ho hum as benchmarks go. In January 2006, I had just gotten my first GPS, and had been poking around the site for a couple months. I was interested in the benchmark thing, and being early February, pickings were limited because of the snowcover.

In January, I did a couple of armchair notes and destroyed reports for marks on structures I was very familiar with and knew to be destroyed: RK0419 and RK0417. My first "real" find was on February 2, when I found two in the same series in my home town. The first was RK0127, set vertically in the side of a barber shop.

From there, I started searching and printing out data sheets. I concentrated for that first summer at least on finding local marks that had not yet been logged on Geocaching. I even passed up a lot of easy ones, going after the ones where my log would be the first! Once those (the easier ones, anyway) were filled in, I went back and started picking up the rest, and concentrating on areas of special interest--a line of marks along an abandoned rail line, for example, and running lines along old county roads. Still at it. :)

Hi All,

My first attempt at finding a station as an official Benchmarker turned into mostly exercise and education. I was working as a volunteer at the Southwestern Research Station in the Chiricahua Mountains near Portal, AZ when I joined Geocache in Sept 08. The manager there told me that there was a a brass cap at a near by lookout. I had had a bit of experience with the DATASHEET in a previous existence - even recovered a few, most of which I have since re-visited - so I called up Cochise Co, AZ and scrolled around until I found some marks that were close to the L/L that I had for the SWRS.

Note - the property there is a Homestead Entry Survey(HES) with several etched rock corners that really need to be Waymarked.

At that time my GPSr was strictly a passive device for my birding hobby and I didn't bother to enter the coordinates for CHIRICAHUA or FLY PEAK LOOKOUT HOUSE - didn't have a upload/download cable at that time, and the main reason for the drive to the Rustler Park trail head was to get a second, positive, observation of the Mexican Chickadee and have a nice hike on my weekly day off from dish washing.

I had learned how to enter a PID in 'FIND A BENCHMARK' but had not seen the 'Nearest:' button. Noticed that there had been a no photo log of the station in 2006 (didn't know yet to be very suspicious of exotic finds sans photo!) so figured that with the L/O tower and all the reference marks that it would be a walk in the park. Gathered up my tools - DS, Pearce Ferry Rapid field book, carpenter pencil, hiking staff

cut to my pace length with foot & 1/2 foot marks and GPSr.

Arrived at Flys Peak after an easy three mile hike w/chickadees, but no L/O tower to aim for. Legs pads were there so I stated looking 'EXACTLY 158 FEET SOUTH-SOUTHWEST OF THE CENTER OF THE TOWER' which kind of puts you off the ridge (didn't know about the good stuff in the box scores). Did find the peak bagger's log after finally turning on the GPSr and working north along the ridge trying to make its display (DDD.ddddd) match the DS but could not see any prominent rocks that looked like a good point to set a station, and none that had a drill hole. Found a large (30 inch DBH) conifer with a total of five 3/4 in iron pins driven into it. These protrude several inches and two have square nuts riveted on. There is a lightning blaze on this tree, but it didn't seem right for the calls:

'CF0328'TWO BLAZED TREES, THE FIRST ONE HAVING 3

CF0328'NAILS IN THE BLAZE AND THE SECOND ONE 4 NAILS, ARE AT THE

CF0328'FOLLOWING DISTANCES FROM THE STATION--12.18

CF0328'METERS, AND 13.61 METERS.

Finally stumbled upon RM 2 on a 30 X 18 inch rock protruding 0.30 ft (arrow was later determined to be

01f6a948-31ce-4ede-9777-5ec843cde6a5.jpg

pointing about 30 degrees left) and whacked a waypoint (which has since been deleted and I did not write down - an occasional error yet) and took a rub before heading down the mountain in front of the afternoon thunderstorm.

It was three weeks before I mounted another expedition, during which time I had bagged the NONPID brass in the front step of the locally known and mapped Barfoot Lookout. Still didn't know 'Nearest:' so didn't realize that I was at a PID'd spire - CF0324 BUENA VISTA LOOKOUT HOUSE - which does happen to be on Buena Vista Peak. Added to my tool bag for this attempt was a compass, screwdriver (digging and scewering), small flat prybar (digging, but great for ice in setting pockets - see JN0022 28 Dec 09);

c89181e5-7b87-4a23-99e5-d96123a3a3a5.jpg

and most important of all - a 100 ft tape (since graduated to 200 foot).

Approaching the Flys Peak summit, I happened to shortcut off the trail towards RM 2 at the perfect place and in three paces almost stepped on RM 1 in plain sight on its rock. My immediate thought was "this is

2f514d9c-79ba-4b3d-83ef-0a5a48e75135.jpg

going to be easy". NOT!

Thirty minutes later I was still measuring from one RM or the other and checking exposed rocks that seemed close. Nothing! Started thinking that the station had been removed - there are areas that appear disturbed - it then occurred to me to pin the tape at the total distance and swing the proper arc.

First draped the tape around the wrong side of a small tree following RM 2's arrow and couldn't quite reach RM 1. Got on the other side of the tree - it is almost in line - and still nothing. Standing in what I figured had to be a five foot circle and randomly poking with my hiking staff, I decided it was about time to do

some birding back to Rustler Park - with one eye on the back trail for Mountain Lion - when I got a different thunk and there it was under 0.10 ft of loess and vegetative litter.

I cannot remember if it was set in rock or concrete and for some reason did not enter that fact in my field book - but I do have a faily nice rub.

2e6082ea-12af-4e39-9ec2-845f5b5320f8.jpg

I'm sure that southpawaz will clarify that point and submit a great photo spread after his visit.

Thanks to everyone here for all the information and encouragement to all beginners. And yes, I still get to an "easy" one sometimes without all the available information and required tools and go home empty; but what a great reason to be out wandering around.

kayakbird

Greetings,

My first finds were long enough ago I've forgotten details except they were work-related. Probably had to find some of the same ones KayakBird did re surveying for DNRC. Also, this would have been long B4 the option to search and log BMs was made available thru this site.

My first "find" was, as I logged it, a proverbial no-brainer. It was at the PO in Buffalo, WYO near Mom's house. At the time, I didn't know to look for others on the same structure.

I'm going to deviate a bit from the "first find" theme if you don't mind. How about my favorite, early find. I had logged the PO one that I found (PW0594) in February this year, then nothing until I logged a few work-related finds in early May. Later in May, I took my first BM hunting trip with KayakBird.

On 22 May, we found NR0159 at Independence Rock, WYO. Here's the general area pic:

9ce4e6c5-38dd-491b-ad3a-0ce83dcc6967.jpg

This is a favorite find for several reasons. It was a geocaching "virgin". It had been officially logged by NGS in 1982 as a mark not found. It taught both Mike and me that you often need to measure the calls from evidence of the old road or old RR.

Since many (most?) DS calls are scaled off topo maps, there is a better than even chance that the PID was scaled off a map with a relocated road or RR on it. Take note: look for landmarks that may have been around when the brass was planted.

Happy New Year

and

Happy Hunting,

John

Started out geocaching in 2005, but after finding most of the geocaches within x number of miles, I became curious about the benchmarking area of the website. My first find was MB0736, which I found on my lunchtime from work. I enjoy the search, the different areas I've looked in, and the historical angle as well(found a disk from 1903 near my house). By logging with the NGS, I like the idea of helping surveyors to know which marks are still around and what condition they're in. As far as I'm concerned, this is a lifelong interest, and I can't wait to get out in the field again! :unsure:

I found the first of over 400 BMs on 2-24-06, the same month I started caching. I had run out of caches to find in the very local area when I discovered the Benchmarking feature on geocaching.com. I got hooked on caching pretty quick and didn't care what size the cache might be, so making searches for benchmarks became a natural part of caching for me. After finding quite a few and getting up the courage to try placing my own caches I started a Benchmark It series of caches with a cache placed in the vicinity of where I was finding some of the benchmarks. I also found a lot of benchmarks that were not listed. That's when I discovered Waymarking and started listing those benchmarks on that site. I kind of dropped out of doing the benchmarks for awhile, but have now complied a huge list of benchmarks I intend to search for when the weather is more conducive to traveling desert track roads. I've had 80+ benchmarks I searched for that I either didn't find and left notes on, or were obviously destroyed. Unfortunately, I did report three or four as destroyed; before I found out on here that they are a little harder to pull up once they have been listed as destroyed. I enjoy finding benchmarks wherever they might be, but really enjoy the more remote ones that have not likely been found since they were monumented.