Is Wherigo dead?

fiz

Wherigo is somewhat of a hard sell in my area (only 3 Wherigos were published in the last year) although it is very popular just across the Potomac River in Maryland. There are at least 75+ Wherigos in Southern Maryland alone.

With the few cartridges that I have made, I’m hoping to show that Wherigo are fun and little bit more interactive and easy to use. The response has been very positive so far, but not enough to generate more Wherigos caches from fellow geocachers. I guess some are a little intimidated by the builders? I'm thinking of converting a multi-cache that I had planned for a park nearby into a mini-Wherigo (with some physical hides), using just the Wherigo\\kit. Hopefully that will show some of the geocachers in my area that cartridges are not too difficult to make?

Edited by CWillyPngn
Wherigo is somewhat of a hard sell in my area (only 3 Wherigos were published in the last year) although it is very popular just across the Potomac River in Maryland. There are at least 75+ Wherigos in Southern Maryland alone.

That's a bad example since 73+ of those aren't really wherigos as they were intended. Wherigo as a field exercise is essentially dead. Wherigo as a dressed up mystery cache, that is alive and well.

That's a bad example since 73+ of those aren't really wherigos as they were intended. Wherigo as a field exercise is essentially dead. Wherigo as a dressed up mystery cache, that is alive and well.

I guess there's a good number of geocachers that likes playing them that way. I agree with you though....I prefer and really enjoy the creative Wherigos that takes me to interesting locations or has a great storyline and characters. :)

Wherigo as a field exercise is essentially dead. Wherigo as a dressed up mystery cache, that is alive and well.

My Wherigo geocache was published on 05/07/2016 in a Tennessee State Park and has only one find. :( It's not listed as PMO either.

Wow, I'm surprised. It looks like very interesting historical area to explore!

Wherigo as a field exercise is essentially dead. Wherigo as a dressed up mystery cache, that is alive and well.

My Wherigo geocache was published on 05/07/2016 in a Tennessee State Park and has only one find. :( It's not listed as PMO either.

That is surprising. If I ever get to that part of Tennessee it would be on my "to do" list. But maybe not that surprising. One of my favorites of the caches I have placed is a Wherigo that takes you in search of Bigfoot. These days it gets one visit a year. It could be the six to seven mile walk with some elevation gain, but still . . .

Edited by geodarts

That is surprising. If I ever get to that part of Tennessee it would be on my "to do" list. But maybe not that surprising. One of my favorites of the caches I have placed is a Wherigo that takes you in search of Bigfoot. These days it gets one visit a year. It could be the six to seven mile walk with some elevation gain, but still . . .

I put a lot into this one, and I would enjoy finding a cache like it myself. I made the zones around historical markers in the park. You can drive to most of them but the final is in a very interesting location, and the cache container is very unique. I spent about $20 on parts to construct it.

One of the recent concerns was cache impact, and I told the park manager that a Wherigo cache would get less visits. I thought it would get more than one, and that was the day it published during their event.

I guess there's a good number of geocachers that likes playing them that way. I agree with you though....

I disagree, I think there are many radius slaves, weird/rare icon lovers, people lazily filling challenges, powertrail lovers and those of us who are omnivores when it comes to when we find. Heck, we had one of those up here and it got so many complaints the CO archived it.

I'm interested in attending Michelle's memorial event (I knew her and she shared her kindness with me), so I thought about going up for the railroad event as well. I could always shift over and do the cartridge. What are you doing on Saturday, Manville Possum?

(Oh, wow. Bays Mountain has healed from my caching a few years ago. Most of the rest of the area hasn't, though. I was a frequent visitor to the area from 2007 to 2009. After that, my long commute tired me out to driving elsewhere on weekends.)

I'm interested in attending Michelle's memorial event (I knew her and she shared her kindness with me), so I thought about going up for the railroad event as well. I could always shift over and do the cartridge. What are you doing on Saturday, Manville Possum?

(Oh, wow. Bays Mountain has healed from my caching a few years ago. Most of the rest of the area hasn't, though. I was a frequent visitor to the area from 2007 to 2009. After that, my long commute tired me out to driving elsewhere on weekends.)

I don't have any real plans for this Saturday, if there are any tough caches in the area that you may be interested in maybe we could meet up?

Yes, Bays Mountain Park has been carpet bombed with some good hides in the last couple of years, mostly PMO. I ran a PQ of them before my PM expired.

Wherigo #82 published this morning. Mine are a mixed batch of both easy Wherigos just for the icon and the other half require some kind of multiple set of tasks, trivia, tours, etc. I have yet to build my own game. I have ideas but lack the time to put one together properly.

Mine are a mixed batch of both easy Wherigos just for the icon and the other half require some kind of multiple set of tasks, trivia, tours, etc. I have yet to build my own game. I have ideas but lack the time to put one together properly.

In my area multi caches are not popular. My WIG has three zones at history markers and such around a State Park, and I think its interesting with a nice large well stocked final.

I believe my WIG falls in the same group as multis. Unless someone just wanted the WIG icon, they have no reason to search out a cache that requires effort. :)