New BSA Geocaching Merit Badge

Road Rabbit

Has anyone actually seen a Geocaching merit badge pamphlet? Or the badge itself? Please post an image if you have.

I visited the local Scout Shop today and asked about the pamphlet. I was told that they don't expect them until "sometime in the fall". Everytime I ask, it's a different answer. Hmmm.

Still no clue what the MB looks like.

It's frustrating to have the requirements out but no pamphlet for guidance and no MB to give to the kids who complete the requirements.

I haven't seen the booklet but I know it is out. I am teaching it to my Troop and I am learning as I go. I have several questions but one I need answered is 5c and d. Where do I find the UTM waypoints for my area?

Google maps will give you coordinates. You can set it up to show you a box with coordinates that follows your mouse as you move it over the map. Those coordinates will need to be translated into UTM for which there are translator sites and programs that you can also find on line.

I haven't seen the booklet but I know it is out. I am teaching it to my Troop and I am learning as I go. I have several questions but one I need answered is 5c and d. Where do I find the UTM waypoints for my area?

Google maps will give you coordinates. You can set it up to show you a box with coordinates that follows your mouse as you move it over the map. Those coordinates will need to be translated into UTM for which there are translator sites and programs that you can also find on line.

greetings from San Diego Troops

Our Scout shop has the pamphlet & badges in. Theodore Roosevelt Council - Long Island, NY.

Two of the employees there are geocachers, so they ordered it as soon as it was available.

I picked up 2 copies - one for me & one for my troop. Well done.

Edited by CP590

Our Scout shop has the pamphlet & badges in. Theodore Roosevelt Council - Long Island, NY.

Two of the employees there are geocachers, so they ordered it as soon as it was available.

I picked up 2 copies - one for me & one for my troop. Well done.

Finally picked mine up today. Overall I think it is very well done. Only two things come to mind that I think could be improved: There is only passing mentions of what is/is not appropriate to leave in a cache, a bit more information would help reduce the food, grass/sticks/rocks that new Scouts seem to want to leave. The geocachers creed URL is listed in the resources section but I would have liked to see the creed itself included in the book.

OK. Since we have a bunch of Geocachers and scouts here, are any of you a Geocaching Merit Badge Counselor in the Sycamore, IL area? My son wants to earn the merit badge, but we don't have anyone on the list (which is not new) for Geocaching. We also have very limited experience with this topic and could use the help. If you are a counselor in our area, please contact my e-mail: Starligh@comcast.net.

Thanks.

Thanks to CaptKirk for his off thread help!

I'm looking at counseling the GC MB for my sons' BSA Troop. I'm looking for some input on what people have done for the "Geohunt" requirement #9.

(This is a bit of an old thread, but figured it would be better to resurrect it rather than start a new topic thread on the same issue.)

Edited by Ohiosiouxfan

It's up to the scout to put on the Geohunt. I had one take his patrol on a geohunt while at summer camp. Another led a cub scout den on a geohunt at a local park. Or perhaps the scout could help out at an organized geocaching activity, like a camporee.

I've been a Geocaching Merit Badge Counselor since the badge came out. What specifically do you want to know?

I had not heard of a "geohunt" before and wanted to hear some examples of what's been done. Yes, the scout performing the MB is responsible to put it on, but I want to be able to discuss different examples with them. I'm not trying to over-think this, I just thought it would be nice to hear what others have done.

Anybody's thoughts on using the UTM system as a requirement? Thought of it as much of a hassle that wasn't directly related to geocaching. Yes, important, but felt it to be beyond the necessary...anybody else feel this?

Edited by ArmyFanGeo

I've been a Geocaching Merit Badge Counselor since the badge came out. What specifically do you want to know?

I had not heard of a "geohunt" before and wanted to hear some examples of what's been done. Yes, the scout performing the MB is responsible to put it on, but I want to be able to discuss different examples with them. I'm not trying to over-think this, I just thought it would be nice to hear what others have done.

I am a Life Scout who has the Geocaching MB. The hunt I completed just composed of me taking 4 others scouts (with 2 adults) on a hike in the local wildlife preserve and finding 4 caches. A larger event is possible too, but this lower scale event was enough to my counselor to satisfy the requirement. Hope this helps.

Anybody's thoughts on using the UTM system as a requirement? Thought of it as much of a hassle that wasn't directly related to geocaching. Yes, important, but felt it to be beyond the necessary...anybody else feel this?

My thought is that they needed something "hard". :bad:

Old Guy & MBC here.

I believe that the UTC Requ. is a bit over the top as well.

Siiiiiiggggggggghhhhhh, they did not ask me, however.

For the Geohunt, we have great park that is very near to our Chartered Org. When my son completed the requirement, he chose all of those caches and we did the loop. In the past, I've also used this loop of caches for the "1 mile orienteering" hike rank requirement, using the caches as control points. There's another park nearby that would work well for this.

I discuss with the scouts how to view the map and choose a good set of caches, and they usually find a great park and a great set of caches.

I am a Life Scout who has the Geocaching MB. The hunt I completed just composed of me taking 4 others scouts (with 2 adults) on a hike in the local wildlife preserve and finding 4 caches. A larger event is possible too, but this lower scale event was enough to my counselor to satisfy the requirement. Hope this helps.

Where does the two adult come in? That is neither a requirement of the merit badge or G2SS.

"Plan a geohunt for a youth group such as your troop or a neighboring pack, at school, or your place of worship. Choose a theme, set up a course with at least four waypoints, teach the players how to use a GPS unit, and play the game. Tell your counselor about your experience, and share the materials you used and developed for this event."

Edited by baloo&bd
Where does the two adult come in? That is neither a requirement of the merit badge or G2SS.

It's a general scouting requirement: "Two-deep leadership is required on all outings. Two registered adult leaders or one registered leader and a parent of a participant, or other adult, one of whom must be 21 years of age or older, are required on all trips and outings."

It's a general scouting requirement: "Two-deep leadership is required on all outings. Two registered adult leaders or one registered leader and a parent of a participant, or other adult, one of whom must be 21 years of age or older, are required on all trips and outings."

No it's not, nor ever has been. Directly from the G2SS, Page 4 under "Leadership Requirements for Trips and Outings":

"There are a few instances, such as patrol activities, when the presence of adult leaders is not required and adult leadership may be limited to training and guidance of the patrol leadership. With the proper training, guidance, and approval by the troop leaders, the patrol can conduct day hikes and service projects."

This was not necessary for the example that was given in the post I asked this about. "a hike in the local wildlife preserve and finding 4 caches". These misunderstandings of the requirements put undue restrictions on scouts and adults, often delaying or completely negating completion of something relatively simple.

What was quoted was for backcountry expedition, overnights or campouts.

No it's not, nor ever has been. Directly from the G2SS, Page 4 under "Leadership Requirements for Trips and Outings":

"There are a few instances, such as patrol activities, when the presence of adult leaders is not required and adult leadership may be limited to training and guidance of the patrol leadership. With the proper training, guidance, and approval by the troop leaders, the patrol can conduct day hikes and service projects."

This was not necessary for the example that was given in the post I asked this about. "a hike in the local wildlife preserve and finding 4 caches". These misunderstandings of the requirements put undue restrictions on scouts and adults, often delaying or completely negating completion of something relatively simple.

Well you have to know that essentially the same two-deep requirement is in both sections. In fact, you skipped over that portion of the rule in your excerpt above. Here's the entire paragraph:

Leadership Requirements for Trips and Outings

It is the responsibility of the chartered organization of any Cub Scout pack, Boy Scout troop, Varsity Scout team, or Venturing crew or ship to inform the committee and leadership of the unit that sufficient adult leadership must be provided on all trips and outings (coed overnight activities require both male and female adult leaders).

Two-deep leadership. Two registered adult leaders, or one registered leader and a parent of a participating Scout or other adult, one of whom must be 21 years of age or older, are required for all trips and outings. There are a few instances, such as patrol activities, when the presence of adult leaders is not required and adult leadership may be limited to training and guidance of the patrol leadership. With the proper training, guidance, and approval by the troop leaders, the patrol can conduct day hikes and service projects. Appropriate adult leadership must be present for all overnight Scouting activities; coed overnight activities— even those including parent and child—require male and female adult leaders, both of whom must be 21 years of age or older, and one of whom must be a registered member of the BSA. The chartered organization is responsible for ensuring that sufficient leadership is provided for all activities.

Here is a link to the BSA Scouting Guidelines: http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/GSS/gss01.aspx#a

What ArmyFanGeo did in his example of a geohunt was perfectly fine, and in fact, if they needed an adult leader to drive them to the outing, a second adult would need to be present.

Certainly there are other ways to do a geohunt. I'm hoping to hear more examples.

Old Guy & MBC here.

I believe that the UTC Requ. is a bit over the top as well.

Siiiiiiggggggggghhhhhh, they did not ask me, however.

I may still have the email somewhere when they were developing the requirements. When they presented it to the committee that approved requirements they wanted it in there. A few people did felt that some requirements were not needed. Old time scouters familiar with maps wanted the UTM, map and compass in there, plus the safety and Leave no trace that is being added to all merit badges. It might be easier in 7-15 years when they go through them again to make better edits. The first time through it was a "do it or you don't get the badge" rather than a "lets adjust this to what we need for the badge" edit after.

Here is a link to the BSA Scouting Guidelines: http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/GSS/gss01.aspx#a

What ArmyFanGeo did in his example of a geohunt was perfectly fine, and in fact, if they needed an adult leader to drive them to the outing, a second adult would need to be present.

Certainly there are other ways to do a geohunt. I'm hoping to hear more examples.

This isn't really worth it, however, no. I didn't miss anything. Two deep was not required and, in fact, even the ride does not require 2 adults in the vehicle as the 2 on 1 rule comes into play. These misconceptions are born of being able to do Youth Protection on line and not having someone there to clarify.

However, don't want to derail this thread anymore.

Edited by baloo&bd

However, as I am in a troop at a local church, all scout leaders have to take a program called Protecting God's Children. Here's a link: Protecting God's Children

As that program is in effect for our troop, 2 leaders must be present for the safety of the scouts.

The Geocaching Merit Badge was discussed on the "Geocaching Podcast" this past week.

http://geocachingpodcast.com/episode-255-boy-scouts-geocaching-merit-badge/

Pretty good discussion there. An interesting thing was said about the UTM coordinate requirements - All GPS units and satellites use the UTM system for their computations and then convert the info for Lat/Lon use. Maybe that's why its important to teach, if it's the basis for the system.

The Geocaching Merit Badge was discussed on the "Geocaching Podcast" this past week.

http://geocachingpodcast.com/episode-255-boy-scouts-geocaching-merit-badge/

Pretty good discussion there. An interesting thing was said about the UTM coordinate requirements - All GPS units and satellites use the UTM system for their computations and then convert the info for Lat/Lon use. Maybe that's why its important to teach, if it's the basis for the system.

I am gonna have to listen to this one. We are in the middle of the merit badge and I was trying to figure out why they were wanting us to use UTM. Now it makes a little more sense. Thanks.

However, as I am in a troop at a local church, all scout leaders have to take a program called Protecting God's Children. Here's a link: Protecting God's Children

As that program is in effect for our troop, 2 leaders must be present for the safety of the scouts.

Is that in addition to the B.S.A. Youth Protection Training ... or has this training supplanted the B.S.A. training mandate.

Anyway, Scout Leader and Geocaching Merit Badge Counsellor at this end .............. >>> right turn and back to topic

((Allowing the side discussion, because I think it is pertinent to the topic of the Merit Badge Program))

Credentials for the next statement:

Former BSA District Committee Chair

Former District Training Chair

Former Cubmaster and Asst Scoutmaster

Former Pack Trainer

Chartered Org Rep

Wood Badge C-16-06 (Bobwhite)

Troop Guide Wood Badge C-28-08

Alternative protection programs cannot replace the training required by the BSA for leaders. While Protect God's Children is a great program and covers much of the same material, it cannot be guaranteed to do so in the future. Since that training is out of the control of the BSA, the BSA still requires leaders to take their course and implement their rules at a minimum. If another protection program is required for the organization like the church any rules that they have must apply AS WELL AS any rules in the Guide to Safe Scouting.

To take it to the extreme, if your church's program mandates having three adults with any youth, that's fine since that covers the minimum requirements for most activities with scouts. But if your church's program mandates having only one, then the Guide to Safe Scouting will trump that and require two.

The point early about not requiring adults on all trips is valid. It is entirely possible for a patrol of scouts that are all first class to go on an outing without adult supervision. That's what the first class rank is for - it states that the youth are capable of having their own outing without adult supervision.

They key point however, is that for the protection of the youth and the adults, if an adult is present at a scouting activity, there must be a minimum of two adults.

Thanks to CaptKirk for his off thread help!

I'm looking at counseling the GC MB for my sons' BSA Troop. I'm looking for some input on what people have done for the "Geohunt" requirement #9.

(This is a bit of an old thread, but figured it would be better to resurrect it rather than start a new topic thread on the same issue.)

Ohiosiouxfan - I am teaching the geocaching merit badge at our summer camp this year for the first time. My plan is to divide the boys from 2 different MB sessions into a total of 4 or 5 groups. I want the boys to create a theme for their cache and properly label and hide their cache. Then each group can hunt each others caches. On the final day, we will bring in other scouts or adults not in the class. The boys, using the EDGE method will then teach them how to enter a waypoint and track to a waypoint in camp, briefly go over some safety rules, then letting them hunt for a few caches on their own (with a buddy or course). Finally, we will recover the caches and ensure we have not left any trace that we had been there.

Ohiosiouxfan - I am teaching the geocaching merit badge at our summer camp this year for the first time. My plan is to divide the boys from 2 different MB sessions into a total of 4 or 5 groups. I want the boys to create a theme for their cache and properly label and hide their cache. Then each group can hunt each others caches. On the final day, we will bring in other scouts or adults not in the class. The boys, using the EDGE method will then teach them how to enter a waypoint and track to a waypoint in camp, briefly go over some safety rules, then letting them hunt for a few caches on their own (with a buddy or course). Finally, we will recover the caches and ensure we have not left any trace that we had been there.

Thanks BV from Geogia. I like that as being nice and simple. Teach them about creating and finding waypoints, have the teams make and hide their caches, and then exchange the waypoints with descriptions. Sounds like fun. Thanks!

I am the counselor for our troop. One of the things our guys have done, is to create a temporary multi cache with four or five stations. In each station is a scout skill (whip and fuse a rope, tie a bowline, tie a square knot, something from the tenderfoot or second class requirements) and the coordinates to the next station. Then they run some of the younger scouts through the course. I just suggest this type event and let them work out the particulars. It has worked well so far.

I asked about that a while ago in the education forum. Heh. The way I thought of it was that the Scouts have either earned their Orienteering Badge or will be, and it's nice to tie those together. The stated reasons in the CG Badge book just didn't work for me--"your batteries might run out!" (Okay, and yes--that the GPSr doesn't give you the best route to the cache.) If my batteries went dead, I'd be more likely to have more batteries on me than a topographic map of the area and a UTM map tool. And that's assuming I converted the coords and marked the cache location on the map in the first place.

Oh, well...it's a bit complicated, but I have my topo maps and overlay tools, and I'm teaching this badge on Saturday!

I'm planning on giving them some containers to take with and hide for the rest of their troop that couldn't make it, and let them borrow a couple of GPS units to set up the "geohunt" for number nine.

I asked about that a while ago in the education forum. Heh. The way I thought of it was that the Scouts have either earned their Orienteering Badge or will be, and it's nice to tie those together. The stated reasons in the CG Badge book just didn't work for me--"your batteries might run out!" (Okay, and yes--that the GPSr doesn't give you the best route to the cache.) If my batteries went dead, I'd be more likely to have more batteries on me than a topographic map of the area and a UTM map tool. And that's assuming I converted the coords and marked the cache location on the map in the first place.

Oh, well...it's a bit complicated, but I have my topo maps and overlay tools, and I'm teaching this badge on Saturday!

I'm planning on giving them some containers to take with and hide for the rest of their troop that couldn't make it, and let them borrow a couple of GPS units to set up the "geohunt" for number nine.

another possible reason for wanting scouts to be familiar with UTM is that Philmont Scout Ranch issues UTM maps to the crews on treks at PSR. While only a fraction of those working on Geocaching MB will probably hike at Philmont, this could be one of the reasons they included that requirement.

another possible reason for wanting scouts to be familiar with UTM is that Philmont Scout Ranch issues UTM maps to the crews on treks at PSR. While only a fraction of those working on Geocaching MB will probably hike at Philmont, this could be one of the reasons they included that requirement.

Indeed, took a Philmont In The Fall Program a few years back and UTM along with GPS included in the Advanced Outdoor Skills Program.

"another possible reason for wanting scouts to be familiar with UTM is that Philmont Scout Ranch issues UTM maps to the crews on treks at PSR. While only a fraction of those working on Geocaching MB will probably hike at Philmont, this could be one of the reasons they included that requirement."

"Indeed, took a Philmont In The Fall Program a few years back and UTM along with GPS included in the Advanced Outdoor Skills Program."

Not to go too off topic here, but what were your guys thoughts on Philmont? Going to Sea Base this summer (sorry about the quotes that way, my laptop messed up)

Edited by ArmyFanGeo