DROID PHONE

riv606

Groundspeak is working on an official geocaching application for the Android OS but it will be some time before it is available for use. There are other applications available now though...Geobeagle is one of them. I'm sure there are others but I'm not familiar with the options.

I downloaded geobeagle but how do you use it??? Help??

Groundspeak is working on an official geocaching application for the Android OS but it will be some time before it is available for use. There are other applications available now though...Geobeagle is one of them. I'm sure there are others but I'm not familiar with the options.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about that application as I have an iPhone. Perhaps a check here (a search in the GPS & Technology section) will be of some assistance to you.

For GeoBeagle just go to the geocaching site:

1. select hide and seek

2. put in your zip code in the zip search and press go.

3. check all the boxes you want and then the download button at the bottom.

4. Move the file that you download to your droid "download" directory. (you need to hook your phone up to your PC for this)

5. Once the file is on your phone open geobeagle and select "search SD card"

its that easy.

I was using geobeagle on my sprint hero phone before I returned it for no other reason except for verizon backed out of waiving my ETF. Darn them!!!!! Anyway, my short experience with the geobeagle/hero was favorable.

ETF?

Early Termination Fee, which with Verizon can be a small fortune.

You can load geocaches to it by placing GPX files in the download directory of the card. Export all my not yet found caches from my GSAK DB to a GPX file and then update Geobeagle with it. As far as I can tell, there is no maximum geocache count as I have around 4k caches on it. After that go to the cache list and it will show your list sorted from your position.

I started Geocaching specifically because I had purchased a Droid and it was the first time I had something that gave me GPS capability. So far I have logged over 40 finds in the last month and half since I started geocaching, including hikes up to Bear Mountain CT along the AT. I have not had a single problem with the Droid and I only use Geobeagle. I am not saying that there are not better applications or other options, and I am anxiously awaiting the new ap from GC, that being said:

http://www.cacheopedia.com/wiki/GeoBeagle#Basic_Membership

the above website provides good informaiton, but some of it is outdated.

One Cache at a time instructions:

The only thing I will note is that when you do this it only downloads the the GC # in the description and won't give you, for example "SK-133 Renewal" You can edit and hand type in the descriptions especially if you are bringing more than one on the phone to keep them categorized.

Off-line List:

Follow the directions for off-line list on the above wiki website, when you go to save the list on to your phone you must put the file in the "download" folder for geobeagle to recognize it. **Not in the geobeagle folder. If you put caches on your phone via this method, it brings the entire description over including GC#. Its very easy once you do it.

Hope this helps,

Collins Family CT