Looking for adventure caches

TripCyclone

Earlier today, a cache of legend was archived. Tube Torcher II was on my list of caches to find and a few of us had plans for a trip to North Carolina in February to go after it. Today, those plans changed.

So I am looking for some recommendations. We are looking for a cache that is similar in design. The time of cache where you walk away with not just a story, but a STOOOOORY to tell. The kind that involves time and energy to complete. Right now, two of us have The Journal on our to-do list, and it definitely is along the lines of what we are looking for.

Can anyone add to our list. Even if we don't end up going after it, I'd like to put together a list for future reference.

you might try posting to the area forums that you want to cache in.

IE if you want to find caches in the Northwest, then post to the northwest forum pages.

Those pages are much more oriented to helping with individual caches it seems.

These main discussion pages stick to stuff to complain about again and again.

Earlier today, a cache of legend was archived. Tube Torcher II was on my list of caches to find and a few of us had plans for a trip to North Carolina in February to go after it. Today, those plans changed.

So I am looking for some recommendations. We are looking for a cache that is similar in design. The time of cache where you walk away with not just a story, but a STOOOOORY to tell. The kind that involves time and energy to complete. Right now, two of us have The Journal on our to-do list, and it definitely is along the lines of what we are looking for.

Can anyone add to our list. Even if we don't end up going after it, I'd like to put together a list for future reference.

dadgum! I wanted to do that one!

If you are in that area I recommend:

City of Granite

Devil's Courthouse

The Legend of Judaculla

Scenic Ledge Ramble

and you will have quite an adventure! The icicles on the Scenic Ledge Ramble are up to 10 feet long this time of year.

One thing to be careful of is that some of these so called adventure caches are actually liars caches, where the finders are encouraged to write incredible logs for what are actually very ordinary caches.

In the past people have made extensive road trips to find an "adventure cache" only to discover a cache that it was nothing of the sort. Some were not too pleased.

Unfortunately some people play the liar thing to the hilt and if you ask around they will insist that it is real, so you really need to research some of these adventure caches before going out of your way to do them.

One thing to be careful of is that some of these so called adventure caches are actually liars caches, where the finders are encouraged to write incredible logs for what are actually very ordinary caches.

In the past people have made extensive road trips to find an "adventure cache" only to discover a cache that it was nothing of the sort. Some were not too pleased.

Unfortunately some people play the liar thing to the hilt and if you ask around they will insist that it is real, so you really need to research some of these adventure caches before going out of your way to do them.

I knew I forgot something in my original post. I'm looking for caches that are NOT liar caches. We've already thrown one of the ones off our personal lists because info leads us to think it is a liars cache. I'll have to check out some of those other ones. At the moment, it's looking like we will go after The Journal, but we are both interested in seeing what else is available for future reference. Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming.

Sol Seaker, we could post in regional except at the moment, we are looking for ANY caches of this style, no matter what region. That would mean posting a message in each region. And with regards to the main discussion forum mainly being used for complaining, I have to disagree. I am looking at the first 50 points and see numerous discussions that are about asking for help or just general conversations, with a relatively lower list of complaint topics. Since the "Geocaching Topics" theme is "Discuss Geocaching and related topics here.", this seems like just the right spot to get ideas from around the country. I could go to "The Hunt/The Unusual", but that seems more focused on just stories as opposed to specific caches that are designed in the style of the examples I provided.

Brian is right to a certain extent. But I suspect there are far more serious adventure caches than liar's caches.

And it's very sad when the owner of a liar's cache perpetuates the lie to the extent that out of state cachers waste serious time and financial commitments only to arrive at a liar's cache. That said-I am only aware of one instance where that actually occurred and was discussed in the forums.

Back OT-if you are coming to NC for Athena's which has already been linked to, continue east to Charlotte to Legends of the Confederate Soldiers. It was inspired by Tube Torture II so you may get some of the same types of experiences there. In the Raleigh area you can face your fears on Earth Wind Fire and Water.

I've heard very good reports on the Journal, but haven't been there myself.

I'd post links now if I could get into the website itself.

I'll come back and edit them in later.