Basecamp to dakota 20 problem

eospro

I have several waypoints, tracks and geocaches on my Dakota 20. When i connect to my PC and start Basecamp, Basecamp finds my Dakota and my waypoints etc are shown, so no problem here. When i create new waypoints on basecamp and send them to the Dakota they are listed on the Dakota tab on basecamp but once i disconnect the Dakota and start it, the waypoints don't appear. If i reconnect to the pc they once again appear under the Dakota tab. Also when using mapsource it will send some waypoints to the Dakota, but when i try to load waypoints into mapscource it says there are none on the dakota, which is wrong.

I have tried on two computers one with windows 7, the other with xp. I have changed cables and downloaded the latest garmin usb drivers. The same problems arise on both computers. Also i have no problem loading geocaches from geocache.com. I have also tried the new 2.41 software which didn't help.

I would be very greatful for any advice offered.

Cheers Brad

Edited by eospro

From the Garmin Knowledge base:

Question: Why can't MapSource receive tracks, waypoints and routes from the Oregon 550 series and Dakota series devices?

Answer:

MapSource can't receive tracks, waypoints, and routes from the Oregon 500 series and the Dakota series devices as MapSource only reads and writes to the Current.gpx file.

The Oregon 500 series and the Dakota series devices use a different method to manage the tracks, waypoints, and routes with Garmin software. These devices create new GPX files for each saved tracks, waypoints and routes and are located in the (Drive Letter)\Garmin\GPX folder. The Current.gpx file on the Oregon 500 series and the Dakota series devices only records the current track data and is located in the (Drive Letter)\Garmin\GPX\Current folder.

Note: The GPX file with date suffix for example Waypoints_10-Aug-09.gpx indicates the date that the waypoint was created using the device. The GPX file with a number suffix for example Waypoints1.gpx indicates that the data was created in BaseCamp.

BaseCamp software is the application to receive tracks, waypoints and routes from the Oregon 550 series and Dakota series devices.

Note: MapSource can be used to manage tracks, waypoints and routes from the Oregon 500 series and Dakota series devices by using the following workaround. This will be required to create routes when using map products that do not contain Digital Elevation Model (DEM) as BaseCamp will only recognize Garmin map products that contain DEM.

1. Open BaseCamp

2. Import data from the device

3. Save data as .GDB file

4. Open the saved .GDB file in MapSource

Note: As MapSource saves data to the Current.gpx, any tracks, waypoints, and routes may get duplicated between MapSource and BaseCamp application.

Last modified on: 12/04/2009

Question: Why can't MapSource receive tracks, waypoints and routes from the Oregon 550 series and Dakota series devices?

Answer:

MapSource can't receive tracks, waypoints, and routes from the Oregon 500 series and the Dakota series devices as MapSource only reads and writes to the Current.gpx file.

The Oregon 500 series and the Dakota series devices use a different method to manage the tracks, waypoints, and routes with Garmin software. These devices create new GPX files for each saved tracks, waypoints and routes and are located in the (Drive Letter)\Garmin\GPX folder. The Current.gpx file on the Oregon 500 series and the Dakota series devices only records the current track data and is located in the (Drive Letter)\Garmin\GPX\Current folder.

Note: The GPX file with date suffix for example Waypoints_10-Aug-09.gpx indicates the date that the waypoint was created using the device. The GPX file with a number suffix for example Waypoints1.gpx indicates that the data was created in BaseCamp.

BaseCamp software is the application to receive tracks, waypoints and routes from the Oregon 550 series and Dakota series devices.

Note: MapSource can be used to manage tracks, waypoints and routes from the Oregon 500 series and Dakota series devices by using the following workaround. This will be required to create routes when using map products that do not contain Digital Elevation Model (DEM) as BaseCamp will only recognize Garmin map products that contain DEM.

1. Open BaseCamp

Note: As MapSource saves data to the Current.gpx, any tracks, waypoints, and routes may get duplicated between MapSource and BaseCamp application.

Thanks for your help. Any idea why my Dakota doesn't show waypoints that basecamp says is on it. My understanding is that this should work. I also have a new problem, i installed the new version 2.41 and now can't open any saved tracks, the dakota just freezes. I would like to revert back to ver. 2.40 but can't find the actual download, just web update, (i need web downdate. lol). Sorry about so many questions, i would just like things to work as they should!

" Any idea why my Dakota doesn't show waypoints that basecamp says is on it. My understanding is that this should work. "

I bought a Dakota 10 yesterday and am having the same problem i think as yours. I could see the geocaching waypoints fine on basecamp but when trying to send to the Dakota, it appeared they were sent, but none would show up on the Dakota.

A work around i found; While connected to the computer, I looked in the Dakota's file folder under the folder GPX. Here there are two folders, "Current" and "Nav". I found the waypoints (Waypoints1.gpx) sent from basecamp in the "Current" folder. I put it in the "Nav" folder and now the Dakota is displaying the downloaded waypoints. Go figure..... Either something both of us are doing wrong or a bad oversight by someone.

I did this with Ubuntu Linux but doing it with Windows "my computer" should work.

Spent the afternoon hiking and the Dakota's sensitivity seems superb but an annoying thing like above can burn hours of trying to figure it out.

I just received my new Dakota 20 and encountered this same problem. I'm VERY DISAPPOINTED that Garmin would come out with a new product that isn't compatible with its basic mapping foundation software. They heavily promote purchase of their Topographic software and/or City Navigator software to install on the Dakota (at about $100 each) which both require subsequent installation of Mapsource. Then, after you purchase and install the software you can't even send or receive (easily that is) all the basic geocaching functions, i.e., caches, tracks, waypoints. You're kidding me! The workaround described in this thread isn't satisfactory for me after spending several hundred dollars and after having been a loyal Garmin customer since the inception of geocaching. I also don't care much for having to install more software (BaseCamp) that does little more - and in my opinion considerably less - than Mapsource.

Perhaps there is some other resolution or fix for the problem that I don't know about right now, but until I find out what it is I'm thinking that this incompatability just sucks! At this point I would not recommend the Dakota series to anyone. I'd recommend the GPSMap 60 series.

I sure hope that Garmin doesn't make this same mistake with the new GPSMap 62 series.

Edited by BGunner01

Answer:

1. Open BaseCamp

Thanks for your help. Any idea why my Dakota doesn't show waypoints that basecamp says is on it. My understanding is that this should work. I also have a new problem, i installed the new version 2.41 and now can't open any saved tracks, the dakota just freezes. I would like to revert back to ver. 2.40 but can't find the actual download, just web update, (i need web downdate. lol). Sorry about so many questions, i would just like things to work as they should!

Check here for the previous versions:

http://garmindakota.wikispaces.com/Versions

Perhaps there is some other resolution or fix for the problem that I don't know about right now, but until I find out what it is I'm thinking that this incompatability just sucks! At this point I would not recommend the Dakota series to anyone. I'd recommend the GPSMap 60 series.

I sure hope that Garmin doesn't make this same mistake with the new GPSMap 62 series.

All of the recent Garmin units (Oregon, Dakota and GPSMAP 62/78) should be used with BaseCamp not Mapsource. Currently there isn't much I can think of that Mapsource can do which BaseCamp can't. BaseCamp on the other hand provides a lot of features not supported by Mapsource and one of the primary advantages is its ability to sync with the x50 Oregon, Dakota and new GPSMAP's.