The Original Stash

Team Idasam

So when is Groundspeak going to give the Original Stash a special icon for all who find it? You know, kinda like the Project Ape caches.

I hate freaking icon candy, let's not add to it.

Yeah, its not for everyone I guess. I'm an icon ho though. A lot of people are and a lot of people aren't. :(

:D

1) never I hope ;-) it's already painful enough for the European and OZ Icon hos, their difficulties in acquiring the Maze Icon, and the APE (and Mega too for that matter)

2) the Original Stash - GCF - had a short life and a few finds; assorted tribute caches exist. They're just traditional caches with some text. whoop

3) Merry Christmas and happy Icon hunting to you!

1) never I hope ;-) it's already painful enough for the European and OZ Icon hos, their difficulties in acquiring the Maze Icon, and the APE (and Mega too for that matter)

2) the Original Stash - GCF - had a short life and a few finds; assorted tribute caches exist. They're just traditional caches with some text. whoop

Oh GOODY a thread just for one of my personal opinions of HOW Groundspeak could positively show PROOF of GeoTourism to government entities that tryyy to ban geocaching. Thanks OP for giving me an opening to stand on my soap box. :mad::mad:

Here's the big picture as I see it. Sooner or later geocaching as a widespread activity will get on the radar and STAY on the radar. See my thread on the Mainstream Event Horizon for more on that.

Back in May of 2004 I got tacit approval for geocaching from the Park Director's Councel for ALL suburban parks in the metro area surrounding Houston. That's HUGE and includes literally hundreds of parks.

The main idea that won them over was the concept of GeoTourism.

I explained to them several instances where I personally went sometimes hundreds of miles outta my way to do certain caches, but they were most impressed with the proof I showed of one cacher from New Hampshire (NH Moose) who flew into Austin to do business between Austin and Dallas and then he took over a 250 mile detour through Houston specifically to do one of MY caches. They ALL saw dollar signs for their communities in the form of gas, food, snacks, and supplies, for cachers moving through their communities.

Special icons for caches DOES spark GeoTourism. There is no debating that. I asked Groundspeak a long time ago to start selling cache icons the same way they sell coin icons. It would be revenue for Groundspeak and have the added benefit to show proof of GeoTourism the next time we get attacked and have defend the entire sport from becoming outlawed as happened North (or was it South) Carolina not too long ago.

Geocachers ARE a financial force and we need to take steps to prove that NOW because there WILL BE another attempt to ban geocaching or governmentally regulate it sooner or later.

I don't know about you folks but I won't spend one penny on a government permit to hide a cache. I find something else to do.

By the way I AM an icon ho.

(Mods, please leave this in the general topics section for one week before moving it to the gc.com forum.)

I'm an Icon Ho. Have been since the beginning.

I suggested this privately awhile back and got no response to my inquiry....

How about Groundspeak selling personal cache icons for the same fee as they sell geocoin icons? Would you buy one to put on all your caches? Would you buy another to denote a special cache series you poured your money, sweat, and heart into?

I would.

I’d buy an icon to put on all of my regular caches.

I’d buy another just for Quantum Leap.

I’d buy a third to put on all the ODS caches if they would allow it since hundreds of users would need access to it.

Imagine the geo tourism angle as people go all over the country collecting new icons. Look how far outta their way people go to get an APE icon. GeoTourism is a muscle that this site has yet to flex.

Groundspeak would make money. Those of us that want them for our own caches would be happy. The icon ho's would be ecstatic, but best of all there would be better visual proof of GeoTourism to show to bureaucratic agencies that wish to legislate geocaching out of existence in a few areas. The evidence would be/is right in peoples profiles.

Thoughts.....

To the Naysayers,

When the time comes, remember who tried to tell ya. :D

When the time comes, remember who tried to tell ya.

Y'know, you're right. It already has come to pass, and I'm sure some enterprising individual can probably figure out a way to associate a unique Icon to that particular cache:

Reference Link

Custom Coin Icons:

1. Available for Geocaching organizations, associations, commercial coin groups and Personal Coins.

2. The cost for a custom icon to be associated with your coins is a one time fee of $150. The icon design will need to be supplied to us in GIF format (non-animated) in the following pixel sizes: 16x16 and 32x32

3. All icon submissions must be the property of the owner or used with the owners permission.

4. 50 code minimum order.

Plus the Bonus of getting fifty souvenir coins in the bargain if you like :D

Y'know, you're right. It already has come to pass, and I'm sure some enterprising individual can probably figure out a way to associate a unique Icon to that particular cache:

Reference Link

Custom Coin Icons:

1. Available for Geocaching organizations, associations, commercial coin groups and Personal Coins.

2. The cost for a custom icon to be associated with your coins is a one time fee of $150. The icon design will need to be supplied to us in GIF format (non-animated) in the following pixel sizes: 16x16 and 32x32

3. All icon submissions must be the property of the owner or used with the owners permission.

Plus the Bonus of getting fifty souvenir coins in the bargain if you like :D

Actually that's an apples and oranges comparison.

Coins move around on their own and mainly through the mail. PEOPLE/Geocachers move around to find caches and we spend money doing it. We are a financial force and we need to take credit for it AND be able to show it visually. Cache stats are fine, but an icon jumps out. Especially when you are trying to impress the concept of GeoTourism on some bureaucratic agency.

(STUFF ABOUT UNIQUE ICONS.)

I think I like that idea. I wonder what the effect on the servers that would cause...? Surely no more than the different Geocoin icons currently do. As somebody that for the most part missed out on the A.P.E. caches, I've been hoping that a new promotion would pop up in the future. I'm not a icon freak, but yeah, I do kind of like seeing a new one on the stats page.

Just curious, did you have a ballpark pricing plan in mind? (I realize that it wouldn't be up to you.)

I think I like that idea. I wonder what the effect on the servers that would cause...? Surely no more than the different Geocoin icons currently do. As somebody that for the most part missed out on the A.P.E. caches, I've been hoping that a new promotion would pop up in the future. I'm not a icon freak, but yeah, I do kind of like seeing a new one on the stats page.

Just curious, did you have a ballpark pricing plan in mind? (I realize that it wouldn't be up to you.)

In business, it's what the market will bear. However, I would hope that it's less than a unique coin icon, but I would not expect it. :D

In business, it's what the market will bear. However, I would hope that it's less than a unique coin icon, but I would not expect it. :D

I'd pay the current going rate for Travel Bug dog tags, but only if I could buy them individually and there were discounts for bulk purchases.

I realize that this would result in the phrases/terms "Icon Spam", "Icon Spew", "Ispam", "Spamcons", etc.

But at least it wouldn't be as bad as that horrible One Degree of Separation thing that somebody did a few years ago. Yeesh.

Instead of a new cache icon, maybe Groundspeak could offer a special badge or banner (or whatever you’d call it) which would appear on the profile page of any cacher who earns it.

Sort of like the belt loops and badges the Cub Scouts earn for completing certain achievements.

Other possible achievements:

• The 'One-of-Each' icon (earned when you find at least one cache of each icon)
  • The Five-Star Club
  • The Hundred Bug Hunt
  • The Fifty-State Club
  • The Ten Year badge (starting next year)
  • The 'I met Jeremy' Society
  • The 'I’ve Been Banned' button (Nevermind – that one already exists.)

Anything but find count totals. There is enough friction over that hot potato already.

Instead of a new cache icon, maybe Groundspeak could offer a special badge or banner (or whatever you’d call it) which would appear on the profile page of any cacher who earns it.

Sort of like the belt loops and badges the Cub Scouts earn for completing certain achievements.

Other possible achievements:

• The 'One-of-Each' icon (earned when you find at least one cache of each icon)
  • The Five-Star Club
  • The Hundred Bug Hunt
  • The Fifty-State Club
  • The Ten Year badge (starting next year)
  • The 'I met Jeremy' Society
  • The 'I’ve Been Banned' button (Nevermind – that one already exists.)

Anything but find count totals. There is enough friction over that hot potato already.

(With the exception of the first one) something like this?

Castle%20Mischief.GeoBadges.jpg

As we all know, the "Original Stash" is just one cache. What would a single icon hurt? I love my icons yes, but there's no reason to go nuts about them. One more icon for the only cache of its type isn't going to hurt anything.

Not to trash your idea, but if they were to bestow new icons on existing caches, I'd rather see it apply to a slightly broader catagory of hides.

Stress on the servers arguments is so last decade.

Long ago the idea was brought up to make a "first in ...." icon. This would be given to the first cache in each state, province, district or whatever you call the divisions of your nation.

Once that one is gone would it move to the next oldest?

Nope, once the first is gone it is gone, the second can never become the first.

Long ago the idea was brought up to make a "first in ...." icon. This would be given to the first cache in each state, province, district or whatever you call the divisions of your nation.

Once that one is gone would it move to the next oldest?

Nope, once the first is gone it is gone, the second can never become the first.

Oh my, I am really tempted to start up with "Who's on first...." but that would take just take too long and there are caches out there laying in the snow that need my attention. :)

Reference Link

Custom Coin Icons:

Plus the Bonus of getting fifty souvenir coins in the bargain if you like :lol:

Why can't the icons be animated anymore?

As we all know, the "Original Stash" is just one cache. What would a single icon hurt? I love my icons yes, but there's no reason to go nuts about them. One more icon for the only cache of its type isn't going to hurt anything.

Not to trash your idea, but if they were to bestow new icons on existing caches, I'd rather see it apply to a slightly broader catagory of hides.

like LPCs could have a little lamppost icon, guardrail caches could have a little guardrail icon, a 35mm film cannister tossed behind a bush at BK. . . . .

well you get the idea :lol::D:D

I'm not in favor of adding a new icon. I **might** change my mind if THE original stash was still in place, but realistically the tribute plaque is "just" a Traditional cache that happens to be in the same place as the original.

For my next trick I announce the Original Can of Beans is just another travel bug and get strung up in the town square by those who want Geocaching to be a religion full of icons and idols. :lol:

like LPCs could have a little lamppost icon, guardrail caches could have a little guardrail icon, a 35mm film canister tossed behind a bush at BK. . . . .

well you get the idea :rolleyes:;):D

Slightly less broad than that. More like caches hidden before 2002 get a rusty dented ammo can.

Oh GOODY a thread just for one of my personal opinions of HOW Groundspeak could positively show PROOF of GeoTourism to government entities that tryyy to ban geocaching. Thanks OP for giving me an opening to stand on my soap box. :huh:;)

Here's the big picture as I see it. Sooner or later geocaching as a widespread activity will get on the radar and STAY on the radar. See my thread on the Mainstream Event Horizon for more on that.

Back in May of 2004 I got tacit approval for geocaching from the Park Director's Councel for ALL suburban parks in the metro area surrounding Houston. That's HUGE and includes literally hundreds of parks.

The main idea that won them over was the concept of GeoTourism.

I explained to them several instances where I personally went sometimes hundreds of miles outta my way to do certain caches, but they were most impressed with the proof I showed of one cacher from New Hampshire (NH Moose) who flew into Austin to do business between Austin and Dallas and then he took over a 250 mile detour through Houston specifically to do one of MY caches. They ALL saw dollar signs for their communities in the form of gas, food, snacks, and supplies, for cachers moving through their communities.

Special icons for caches DOES spark GeoTourism. There is no debating that. I asked Groundspeak a long time ago to start selling cache icons the same way they sell coin icons. It would be revenue for Groundspeak and have the added benefit to show proof of GeoTourism the next time we get attacked and have defend the entire sport from becoming outlawed as happened North (or was it South) Carolina not too long ago.

Geocachers ARE a financial force and we need to take steps to prove that NOW because there WILL BE another attempt to ban geocaching or governmentally regulate it sooner or later.

I don't know about you folks but I won't spend one penny on a government permit to hide a cache. I find something else to do.

By the way I AM an icon ho.

(Mods, please leave this in the general topics section for one week before moving it to the gc.com forum.)

I'm an Icon Ho. Have been since the beginning.

I suggested this privately awhile back and got no response to my inquiry....

How about Groundspeak selling personal cache icons for the same fee as they sell geocoin icons? Would you buy one to put on all your caches? Would you buy another to denote a special cache series you poured your money, sweat, and heart into?

I would.

I’d buy an icon to put on all of my regular caches.

I’d buy another just for Quantum Leap.

I’d buy a third to put on all the ODS caches if they would allow it since hundreds of users would need access to it.

Imagine the geo tourism angle as people go all over the country collecting new icons. Look how far outta their way people go to get an APE icon. GeoTourism is a muscle that this site has yet to flex.

Groundspeak would make money. Those of us that want them for our own caches would be happy. The icon ho's would be ecstatic, but best of all there would be better visual proof of GeoTourism to show to bureaucratic agencies that wish to legislate geocaching out of existence in a few areas. The evidence would be/is right in peoples profiles.

Thoughts.....

To the Naysayers,

When the time comes, remember who tried to tell ya. :)

I can see that...Gov. agencies/depts. setting up their own Icons to go with local Caches...that could go somewhere.