lowrance ifinder GO

cmaille

Okay...I've been cruising ebay, trying to find an upgrade that fits within my tight, "my wife is going to night college and the economy stinks" type budget. lol

I did find this.. http://cgi.ebay.com/Lowrance-Finder-Go-Por...=item19b893f023

I did a google search and found the company website. Evidently, this is from an obsolete line of GPSr's that this company made. They now only have the GO2 listed on their site. hence, the cheap price on the ones on ebay. It is within my meager budget, and appears to be a big step up from my magellan GPS 2000 I got a couple months ago when my son and I first started. (the mag. 2000 only goes to two places after the decimal making our GZ search area bigger than most folks. )

Does anyone have any experience with this line of GPS'rs, or have some other input to add? Seems it has all the basics...and really, that is all me and my son need is one without the huge bells and whistles right now. We just need one that is reliable and has a smaller GZ search area. We're not paperless caching yet, and frankly I would probably get confused by trying to upload any waypoints ahead of time from the site. We're a spontaneous father son team of cachers you could say. :D

Anyway...I'm thinking this is a step up from our current GPSr, but still not in the league with the newer Garmins and such. and the price is right. I just need to know if it's junk/unreliable/prone to being WAY off on the GZ, that sort of thing. :(

sorry for the rambling..I tend to do that a lot... Thanks! :)

Cmaille and Bmaille-----Novice Cachers.

Edited by cmaille

Well for $15 you probably can't go wrong :( provided the unit is in proper working order.

The good news

- it has an excellent receiver. Pulls in the satellite signals very well even in heavy tree cover

- insanely good battery life

- fairly small unit

The not so good news

- no computer connection option

- screen font sizes are kinda small, some squinting required

- no memory expansion slot for adding maps etc..

- feels 'cheap'.. but then, it is :D

In this case you really do get what you pay for.. the iFinder GO especially for $15 will get you in the door very cheaply, and if in future you do decide to upgrade to a better model, this one can be an effective backup unit, or give/sell it to the next Geocaching newbie :)

Lowrance user here too. H2OC

Look at the top of the page in the FAQ. There is a link to Airmappers Lowrance Pages. Lots of information, there is even a method to download caches to the unit.

Extremely good unit!!! I have the Yellow GO which is the 32mb unit, the GO2 is 64mb memory.

Locks very fast. Great for a non-mapping GPS. Must hand enter all coordinates. Can't speak highly enough about this unit, one should be in everybodies bug out bag as a minimum.

Good luck.

N

Thanks for the info folks! sounds like it might be a good step in the right direction. One of these days, I fully intend to get one of the 'good' GPSr's, but sadly it's not in the budget. I just wanted to get something a little more up to date than the one we have now..which is 'okay', but it is very limited.

:D I appreciate the feedback! See ya out there!

$22 total is a good price to get your whistle wet for geocaching. But ignore anything about the memory on these units, it means nothing because there isn't anything you can use the memory for. This unit comes with a basic map, which means, interstates, US highways, and some state highways.

But if you don't mind entering the geocaches one by one, this unit will find you as many geocaches as a $600 ultra modern unit will. It's not the accuracy of the GPS units these days, it's the skill of the hunter that determines if you find a cache or log a DNF. Any unit will get you to the cache site.

Totally agree with GPSblake. If you can get one for that price, do it. A friend of mine bought a red GO2 on clearance for like $30 and I got to mess with it. Thing got a 3D fix fast and he told me the thing has amazing battery life. Something like 30 hours or more.

It's be a good starter GPS IMO. If you are coming from that Magellan 2000, you should be happy with the GO's sat reception. I had a 2000, so I can feel your pain. :D

Edited by Woodstramp