Nuvi 500 Re-booting problem

Scubasonic

Have not spent a lot of time on this postion of the site but I have a Nuvi 500 and when I download a cache from Geocaching that has more then 32 characters when I hit the GO button on the Nuvi to drive to the cache it re-boots itself. I contacted Garmin and as of yesterday 12/22/2009 they said they have an update to solve this problem, and they did just that had a cache that re-booted the nuvi on Sunday yesterday went to Webupdater and downloaded the new version and retried the cache that messed it up on Sunday and it worked just fine.

Just thought I would try to put the word out for all those other NUVI 500 owners.

ScubaSonic

Have not spent a lot of time on this postion of the site but I have a Nuvi 500 and when I download a cache from Geocaching that has more then 32 characters when I hit the GO button on the Nuvi to drive to the cache it re-boots itself. I contacted Garmin and as of yesterday 12/22/2009 they said they have an update to solve this problem, and they did just that had a cache that re-booted the nuvi on Sunday yesterday went to Webupdater and downloaded the new version and retried the cache that messed it up on Sunday and it worked just fine.

Just thought I would try to put the word out for all those other NUVI 500 owners.

ScubaSonic

OK I just bought a NUVI 500. How do you get the blinking battery cover off????? I feel like a real dork but when I push the release button up nothing releases. Does it slide off? Pry off? Do I have to get my sledge hammer? Please anyone who has figured out this mystery please reply

chemcache

ScubaSonic

OK I just bought a NUVI 500. How do you get the blinking battery cover off????? I feel like a real dork but when I push the release button up nothing releases. Does it slide off? Pry off? Do I have to get my sledge hammer? Please anyone who has figured out this mystery please reply

chemcache

as you slide the release, it will push the edge of the cover up when you get it all the way to the other end of it's travel

ScubaSonic

chemcache

as you slide the release, it will push the edge of the cover up when you get it all the way to the other end of it's travel

Thanks but

Nope. When I slide the release up absolutely nothing happens.

Any other comments?

ScubaSonic

Thanks Scuba. I am having the same problem. Do you know what release that was? I tried updating for the 6th time with no success. I have tried communicating with their support and got some good initial help. No follow up afterward though.

ScubaSonic

chemcache

I had the same problem and I felt like a 10 thumbed moron.. tough to describe but you really have to push-slide on the battery release latch and at the same time pop the battery open. It took me a bit before I got used to it. Almost felt like there was a pressure seal keeping it closed

ScubaSonic

chemcache

Thanks but

Nope. When I slide the release up absolutely nothing happens.

Any other comments?

It was a little tricky but when the corner came up I used a blade of a knife to pry it off so did my friend that got one.

ScubaSonic

Thank you for alerting us about the update. I just updated my Nuvi 550 and only tried it on one long title and it didn't reboot, so hopefully that will take care of it. Dick

After the update I changed the settings in GSAK to reflect 32 characters. Opened up a cache and no reboot. However, when viewing the description page there was no detail. In fact just the Go button was displayed. After changing the settings to 20 all was good. Anyone found the sweet-spot number?

Thank you for alerting us about the update. I just updated my Nuvi 550 and only tried it on one long title and it didn't reboot, so hopefully that will take care of it. Dick

After the update I changed the settings in GSAK to reflect 32 characters. Opened up a cache and no reboot. However, when viewing the description page there was no detail. In fact just the Go button was displayed. After changing the settings to 20 all was good. Anyone found the sweet-spot number?

Thank you. I just checked and as you said while it doesn't re-boot there is no detail. I looked on GSAK and didn't find where to change the settings to 20. Could you please tell me how to do that. Thanks Dick

Thank you. I just checked and as you said while it doesn't re-boot there is no detail. I looked on GSAK and didn't find where to change the settings to 20. Could you please tell me how to do that. Thanks Dick

Go to File - Export - GPX/LOC File...

Waypoint Name: %Code

Max characters: 20

Cache Description: %Smart=20

Make sure there is a checkmark in the: Also apply to cache name

Hope that helps

Thank you for walking me thru GSAK. I have the changes made but we have Christmas company, so I haven't had time to really check it out. At least it stays on and will route and that is all we use it for is routing to the cache. We are in our 80's and the wife likes printed pages so I do print out all caches and just use the 550 to get us to the cache. Then we use a 76CSx and a Vista HCx to find the cache. Also both the 76CSx and HCx have routing maps on them. Thanks and have a great holiday.

Dick and Arlene

Thank you for walking me thru GSAK. I have the changes made but we have Christmas company, so I haven't had time to really check it out. At least it stays on and will route and that is all we use it for is routing to the cache. We are in our 80's and the wife likes printed pages so I do print out all caches and just use the 550 to get us to the cache. Then we use a 76CSx and a Vista HCx to find the cache. Also both the 76CSx and HCx have routing maps on them. Thanks and have a great holiday.

Dick and Arlene

You're very welcome. I use the 500 to get me to the general area and then switch to the 60CSx to the actual search. We also use printed maps of the area we're caching that day just to make sure that the "Oh, look there's one not too far from here" syndrome doesn't land us in Ohio (we're in NJ). Have a great holiday and New Year!

I had trouble with the battery cover too I used the suction cup mount to open it.

I pushed the slide up and then put the suction cup on the cover and pulled it open

I had troubles opening the battery compartment also initially but now it works fine. I think the problem was that I wasn't sliding the catch far enough. Slide it as far as it will physically go (look at it to make sure) and then hook a fingernail under one of the two slots under the cover. Once you've done it you'll never have a problem again.

No to go to Garmin check on this update. Glad I posted that rant on their forum. :D

I had trouble with the battery cover too I used the suction cup mount to open it.

I pushed the slide up and then put the suction cup on the cover and pulled it open

Wow, thanks. My roommate bought one of these and we messed with it for ten minutes trying to get the battery cover off. This did the trick.

Jamie