Hobbies that have a natural connection with Geocaching

TeamPatchwork

What do you mean by "gamers"? Video gamers? not sure where the tie in is there.

Many of the best video games include hidden items and secret areas for the player to seek and find. Doom used to taunt you at the end of each stage with the percentage of secrets you found.

The old Perfect Dark and other Bungie games has pieces of cheese hidden on each level.

I'm currently playing through Call to Duty: Modern Warfare 2 for the 3rd time and this time I'm just looking for the hidden items. B) All of the Call to Duty games have hidden items.

To me there is a connection to geocaching, because it's all hide and seek.

My wife and I also enjoy going to wineries. I live in a county in Virginia that has 24 wineries in it. I've noticed on the listing that there are some sites that sound familiar, and I think are on wineries. It would be great if we could combine cache finds with some winery visits with tastings.

The Finger Lakes area in New York also has quite a few wineries (over 200 but that covers several counties). There are a handful of caches located at wineries and there are also quite a few more if one were taking a "wine tour" and wanted to combine geocaching with a bit of wine tasting. I did a circumnavigation of one of the finger lakes (Seneca) awhile back and found several at wineries and ended up with 18 or so caches along the way. It was about a 100 mile round trip thought some really pretty country. One of the wineries which has a cache has three pretty active geocachers that work there. One of them is the daughter of the owner.

The closest winery to where I live does not have a geocache but would be a really nice spot for one. There is an area on the grounds that is frequently used for weddings and other events. One of these days I'm going to stop in to see if I can get permission to place a cache there (it's only about 2 miles from where I live).

What do you mean by "gamers"? Video gamers? not sure where the tie in is there.

Many of the best video games include hidden items and secret areas for the player to seek and find. Doom used to taunt you at the end of each stage with the percentage of secrets you found.

The old Perfect Dark and other Bungie games has pieces of cheese hidden on each level.

I'm currently playing through Call to Duty: Modern Warfare 2 for the 3rd time and this time I'm just looking for the hidden items. B) All of the Call to Duty games have hidden items.

To me there is a connection to geocaching, because it's all hide and seek.

Not to mention all the ammo cans in Fallout 3. I keep hoping to find a log book and some MacToys, but so far only ammo, ashtrays, and the occasional irradiated soft drink.

hi all

merry xmas and a happy new year

i dogwalk and geocache at the same time just a brilliant way of earning money and doing my hobby at the same time and whilst i'm walking the dogs the fact that i have to go certain routes means i find new and interesting new walks for my doggies, owners love it cause the dogs get a good excersise and it means the walks are never the same

muttitt

I'd have to say paintball; woodsball or scenarioball to be specific. I'm addicted to woodsball. Just like the name suggests, you go out into the woods and play paintball. We've combined woodsball and geocaching to an extent before. We will normally split into two teams and spend about 3-4 days in the woods behind my house. It's a good 4 or 5 square miles back there. Then, using radios, we'll put each team's coordinates for their base or fort into our gps's, as well as other objectives we want to accomplish. One of the ones we normally do is capture the flag. It is very neat to use the gps because you are such a far way apart. If you have the time and resources, you should try it!

Well, first of all for those of us who are single.....

'Dating', I met a woman from an online dating site for lunch. Just in case the lunch was a bust I loaded a few geocaches in the GPS to for find. Lunch was great, so 'we' went geocaching, and we have been together 6 months now.

We also go geocaching when we go kayaking, camping, fall color tours. And we will be hiding our first cache later this winter when we go out snowshoeing.

Try adventure racing

The simplest adventure races involves running and cycling (you can usually choose what disipline you want to start with) where you must navigate a route working with your strenghs (runners spend more time running, cyclists more time cycling) in order to collect as many controls as possible in a set time.

interesting...just had a flashback...when I was a kid one of my friends dad was a big CB radio buff,we used

to go with him on what I "think" they called radar hunts.Someone would hide somewhere and transmit and

the others would try and find him using his signal strenght in cars with mobile units.....I just remember it

being fun.I wonder if a GPS could be incorporated into that as well somehow.....just a thought I had just now....

Amateur radio operators call it Fox Hunting, where a low-power transmitter is hidden and operators use directional antennas to triangulate on the signal to make their way to find it. GPS has made getting there much easier. My radio club does Fox Hunts one Sunday afternoon each month and operators using GPS regularly make the find first.

I have heard of geocachers incorporating a Fox Hunting transmitter into their caches.

73 de W4AGA :rolleyes:

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler
when I was a kid one of my friends dad was a big CB radio buff,we used

to go with him on what I "think" they called radar hunts.Someone would hide somewhere and transmit and

the others would try and find him using his signal strenght in cars with mobile units

Around here that was called 'cat and mouse'. It was played at night exclusively and I can't even begin to count the number of times the sun was coming up before we called it quits. Unlike geocaching, the police did not look favorably upon the game. Good times!

Bruce