HI,I'm John, from Dublin Ireland and a noobie:)

Seeeker78

Hi all, I'm John From Dublin Ireland

I never heard of geocaching until yesterday.and am already hooked.its great.I found my first cache last night, what a buzz, better than c atching a fish,lol

I went looking for my first GPS today, as I had to use my pc for info last night, and I think I found a decent enough one. for a beginner anyway. Dont want to spend too muc hmoney until I am sure I will stick at it.

Anyway, I seen a Holux, GPSport 245 in Maplins today

http://info.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=228592

, reduced to 65Euro,whichis a lit c heaper than I expected. I done a bit of reading online about it and it says its suitable for geocaching, among other things. I know there are surely better ones out there, but as I say, dont want to invest too much money until I am sure.

Any advice, eithere about this subject or anything else would be gratly appreciated.

Look forward to getting to know some of you.

John:)

Hi all, I'm John From Dublin Ireland

I never heard of geocaching until yesterday.and am already hooked.its great.I found my first cache last night, what a buzz, better than c atching a fish,lol

I went looking for my first GPS today, as I had to use my pc for info last night, and I think I found a decent enough one. for a beginner anyway. Dont want to spend too muc hmoney until I am sure I will stick at it.

Anyway, I seen a Holux, GPSport 245 in Maplins today

http://info.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=228592

, reduced to 65Euro,whichis a lit c heaper than I expected. I done a bit of reading online about it and it says its suitable for geocaching, among other things. I know there are surely better ones out there, but as I say, dont want to invest too much money until I am sure.

Any advice, eithere about this subject or anything else would be gratly appreciated.

Look forward to getting to know some of you.

John:)

Hello John, welcome.

This thread may interest you. I remember the reviews for the Holux and was impressed with it's simplicity. Seems to me a good entry level unit, it has shortcomings but as you gain experience you will figure out what to look for in your next investment. You will get a lot of positive comments and feedback here, great forum.

There are a lot of units out there with a lot more bells and whistles and you will hear all about them....I am not very tech savvy and have a different opinion. I say start with an easy unit to master and have fun. Learn as you play.

As a suggestion you might get in touch with the poster of the linked thread, kinda curious about him. Let us know how you are doing, good luck!

Edited to fix link.

Edited by bobandrobin

Welcome, John. :D

Sorry, I don't know anything about that particular GPS - Many new cachers seem to find that the "little yellow Etrex" is a very good beginner's unit. Perhaps you could get in touch with one or two cachers local to you and ask what they use? Are there any geocaching events coming up in your area?

I wanted to mention that there's also the UK and Ireland regional Groundspeak forum and also a forum at Geocaching Ireland, just in case you haven't discovered them yet.

MrsB

Hi guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice, muc h appreciated.

I am hearing a lot abou the "Etrex-H" from Garmin, and there is one for sale on a websitre I use(Gumtree) and is still in the box, for only 70 Euro, butI would try get it for 60 or so.

There is also a Garmin 12XL GPS on the same sight for only 25 Euro, and I read some decent reviews for that one too.

One othere thing I have on my mind is the possibility of investing in one of the many available High end phones on the market, such as the Nokia N-series and even the I-phone( I just missed out on an I-Phone today for 140euro, sim free. ie; any network ) but the down side I heard is that on the network I use, (meteor) all the apps are not compatible,which is not too much of a problem so long as the geo-caching apps and possibly "Locify" are available.

On the subject, anybody use a mibile for geo-caching? and if so whichone and what are the pros and cons??

Anyway, I am in no major rush, hopefully some more bargains will appear over the Christmas holidays.

Seasons greetings to one and all :D

John