People prefer micros

L0ne.R

I've never really agreed with the whole No Bad Cache concept. It sounds nice but I haven't found someone who likes every cache type. Have you?

You have now!

I like them all, and my method of choosing caches has always been "Next!"

Okay, Next cache it is. Have at it.

I think I'm looking for something with a bit more definition.

Well... let's see...

Two weekends ago, I found a micro that was an extremely well-hidden fake bolt. It took tweezers to extract the log. I also found a gallon jar covered with bark in a wooded, yet still urban, park about a mile from the other.

I found a Bison tube that was very cleverly hidden in a sound-barrier fence. It took me three trips (all on the same day... I got stubborn after my 3rd consecutive DNF by this particular hider). The next cache was an unpainted peanut butter jar in a tiny woods with houses in plain view, and about 35 feet from GZ.

Let's see... oh yeah... there was the penny lying on the ground, right in plain sight. It took five of us a good 45 minutes to realize what it really was. Later that day, we found an ammo box in a stump.

I enjoyed every one of those caches, but guess which ones really challenged me the most.

I give up. Which ones really challenged you the most?

The one about the size of your left nipple. Now, puleeze..... put a shirt on! Geeze!!

I've never really agreed with the whole No Bad Cache concept. It sounds nice but I haven't found someone who likes every cache type. Have you?

You have now!

I guess it goes back to my geocaching roots where I found my first 500 or so with an eTrex Yellow. No maps, no cache listing, just a set of coordinates and go.

I still like caching like that.

It would be nice if those who dislike micros would let the rest of us enjoy micros.

Has anyone, at any time, tried to stop you from enjoying them?

If I tell you "I hate vanilla ice cream", would that stop you from liking vanilla ice cream? :laughing:

Those who think all micros should be banned, and they have posted often in these kinds of threads, are those who would like to stop the rest of us from enjoying micros.

It would be nice if those who dislike micros would let the rest of us enjoy micros.

If I tell you "I hate vanilla ice cream", would that stop you from liking vanilla ice cream? :laughing:

It wouldn't, but when someone goes out of their way to say vanilla ice cream is the scourge of the earth and an embarrassment to the art of ice cream making, I get a little worried.

Those who think all micros should be banned, and they have posted often in these kinds of threads, are those who would like to stop the rest of us from enjoying micros.

Could you give me a link to a post that said that all micros should be banned? Somehow I missed those comments to which you refer. Since you say that these people have posted "often" I anticipate you will have no trouble finding many examples.

I don't really have a horse in this race; I like micros, especially evil micro hides. But I have to admit that I am not a big fan of lame urban hides, most of which appear to be micros.

But I think all the hysteria about people wanting to "ban micros" is nonsense. I eagerly await your links showing me it is not.

To the OP question, no, I don't prefer micros. Generally for me the container size is of little importance. When deciding where to go caching I mostly look at location; also I look at difficulty/terrain. I prefer ones which require a walk in rural locations, but if I'm caching near work at lunchtime, then the critieria is more how far away it is, and do I have time for it.

The only time I really take the container size into consideration is when I have trackables which I want to move on; then of course I'm looking for containers large enough to take them. Or when caching with small children, then look for larger ones for the swag.

I strongly suspect that micro-hating is a forum thing, because I have never run across it verbalized in the wild.

I doubt there are many true micro haters inside or outside the forums. When you scratch under the surface of the complaints about micros, they are usually really about caches hidden for the sake of hiding a cache, without regard to the aesthetic or interest factor of the location.

I've met many people in the "wild" who have verbalized a dislike for these kinds of caches and because micros make up the majority of these kinds of caches, they have become the whipping boy.

Edited by briansnat
I strongly suspect that micro-hating is a forum thing, because I have never run across it verbalized in the wild.

I doubt there are many true micro haters inside or outside the forums. When you scratch under the surface of the complaints about micros, they are usually really about caches hidden for the sake of hiding a cache, without regard to the aesthetic or interest factor of the location.

I've met many people in the "wild" who have verbalized a dislike for these kinds of caches and most of these kinds of caches are micros.

Whoa! Who is that quote from? Between that and post#56 there is some serious disinformation going on. Anyone who types comments like that, and thinks there are evil, ban all micro "micro haters" out there, obviously doesn't even read what the alleged "micro haters" are saying in these threads.

Actually, I think there was one "ban all micros" guy, but he's a banned member now. :laughing:

OK. Back to my question. Has anyone, ever, stopped you from enjoying micros?

If I rant for hours about the evils of vanilla ice cream, will that stop you from enjoying it? :laughing:

Have they? Maybe I don't visit here often enough, but I've rarely seen anybody express that sentiment.

Edited by briansnat

It wouldn't, but when someone goes out of their way to say vanilla ice cream is the scourge of the earth and an embarrassment to the art of ice cream making, I get a little worried.

This thread is about the opposite sentiment. People who say that micros are the vanilla ice cream of geocaching. And also the conclusion that some have come to that because vanilla ice cream has flooded the market that that is proof that vanilla ice cream is the preferred flavor.

I'm thinking that the manufacturers like producing vanilla ice cream because it is the least expensive to make (no costly nuts or chocolate or fruit bits) so they put more of it out on the market.

I've met many people in the "wild" who have verbalized a dislike for these kinds of caches and because micros make up the majority of these kinds of caches, they have become the whipping boy.

Right.

Micros make up the majority of caches hidden for the sake of hiding a cache only with regard to upping the numbers. I've found so many that were a film canister with a scrap piece of wet paper and no pencil (even when a cut down pencil or golf pencil would easily fit) making it obvious that the owner had no intention of investing anything in the game. It became so irritating that I really felt the need to block out micros. But it irks me that I have to sacrifice good micros (those placed with the finders enjoyment in mind) because of the plethora of cheap, zero-investment, just-for-the-numbers micros.

This thread is about the opposite sentiment. People who say that micros are the vanilla ice cream of geocaching. And also the conclusion that some have come to that because vanilla ice cream has flooded the market that that is proof that vanilla ice cream is the preferred flavor.

I'm thinking that the manufacturers like producing vanilla ice cream because it is the least expensive to make (no costly nuts or chocolate or fruit bits) so they put more of it out on the market.

These spurious analogies which don't apply actually clarify nothing, but let's play with this one anyway.

Supply does not drive demand.

Here's a better idea: For anyone who's complaining bruises your sensitivities, don't read their posts any more. In these forums, there's even a magic way to not have to read someone's drivel any more, it's called the ignore feature.

... Forethought is the keyword for me.

Similarly, those that dislike micros can use that magic way to not have to be vexed by them, it's called pocket queries.

I prefer finding full size caches in the woods requiring a bit of a walk.

I don't dislike any type cache.

I hide mostly micro's as my general home location does not lend itself to hiding larger caches.

There has been a huge increase in P & G caches.....maybe 80%+ of what is out there . I don't think 80% of the cachers prefer P & G's but folks like to hide and find caches and these are the areas available......once parks and non-private wooden areas are seeded where would you place them ?

I've spoken to the other half of my team and we're going to start tweaking the PQ's more as we like variety and, all too often lately, we have been overwhelmed with P & G's........I went a whole day recently and never turned off my car engine doing a random download.

I'm beginning to feel Drat19's pain.

I hide mostly micro's as my general home location does not lend itself to hiding larger caches.

There has been a huge increase in P & G caches.....maybe 80%+ of what is out there . I don't think 80% of the cachers prefer P & G's but folks like to hide and find caches and these are the areas available......once parks and non-private wooden areas are seeded where would you place them ?

I've spoken to the other half of my team and we're going to start tweaking the PQ's more as we like variety and, all too often lately, we have been overwhelmed with P & G's........I went a whole day recently and never turned off my car engine doing a random download.

I have nothing against what caches you like to seek out or what caches your like to place, but I find it odd that you would bemoan the increase in P&G caches and at the same time, place a 100+ P&G powertrail. At first glance, it seems like you're contributing to a cache type that you yourself don't like.

Have they? Maybe I don't visit here often enough, but I've rarely seen anybody express that sentiment.

I haven't seen it either. It happens, but these days it's rare.

Calls to ban micros used to be very common, but I think cachers, and forum regulars in particular, have learned over the years to be a lot more tolerant of other people's preferences.

That tolerance has made these forums a much nicer place to be. :laughing:

I have nothing against what caches you like to seek out or what caches your like to place, but I find it odd that you would bemoan the increase in P&G caches and at the same time, place a 100+ P&G powertrail. At first glance, it seems like you're contributing to a cache type that you yourself don't like.

I view a well defined power trail as a seperate entity....it's there if you want it, you know what you're getting in to.

It's harder when doing a random PQ of a metro area.........like I said, a little tweaking of the PQ's will give a better variety........it's really variety we like......I've posted before we did a power trail of ammo cans where each required a bit of a walk and after 20-30 of them we started to want to find something different.

You have now!

I guess it goes back to my geocaching roots where I found my first 500 or so with an eTrex Yellow. No maps, no cache listing, just a set of coordinates and go.

I still like caching like that.

Sorry I got side-tracked and then had to go to bed.

The point I was getting to is that I don’t think people Like a particular type of cache. (That’s Like with a capital L). People don’t like micros any more than they like a large container. Things that people do like are things such as, a nice location, a scenic hike, a short walk when they don’t want to go too far, a clever hide, things of that nature.

The problem is that it is fairly difficult to know if a cache will have anything I like or am looking for before I set out. I know its size, and I know the difficulty level of the terrain and hide and maybe I could read a few logs to get a better idea of what others experienced when looking for the cache, but really that’s not a whole lot to go on.

When I want to narrow down a list of caches I will probably enjoy I first thing I usually do is eliminate micros from my search criteria, which is too bad since there are probably some micros I would probably enjoy. But I really don’t have any decent method to determine which ones those would be.

If I read your post correctly, you sometimes like these P&Gs, but sometimes get totally sick of them. If that is correct, you might not want to tweak your PQs. You might get better results managing your day to day caching with GSAK, instead.

If I read your post correctly, you sometimes like these P&Gs, but sometimes get totally sick of them. If that is correct, you might not want to tweak your PQs. You might get better results managing your day to day caching with GSAK, instead.

What we like is VARIETY.......I like P & G's fine just not a full days worth........I can say the same about the other cache types. But when 80% ? of whats out there now being P & G's its hard to get variety.

Here's a better idea: For anyone who's complaining bruises your sensitivities, don't read their posts any more. In these forums, there's even a magic way to not have to read someone's drivel any more, it's called the ignore feature.

Similarly, those that dislike micros can use that magic way to not have to be vexed by them, it's called pocket queries.
If you actually read my post, you would see that my problem is not with micros themselves. It is with caches that were placed with little or no thought.** Since most cachers don't carry ammo cans around on the off chance they'll find a place to hide a cache, these usually turn out to be micros. If you can't understand that, it is not my fault, but I don't think that discussing this subject with someone who repeatedly seems to be unable or unwilling to grasp this concept is worth my time.

Good day, sir

** My first stated issue in the post is with people complaining about people who they perceive as hating micros. So, you are welcome to take my advice on the matter.

If you actually read my post, you would see that my problem is not with micros themselves. It is with caches that were placed with little or no thought.** Since most cachers don't carry ammo cans around on the off chance they'll find a place to hide a cache, these usually turn out to be micros. If you can't understand that, it is not my fault, but I don't think that discussing this subject with someone who repeatedly seems to be unable or unwilling to grasp this concept is worth my time.

Good day, sir

** My first stated issue in the post is with people complaining about people who they perceive as hating micros. So, you are welcome to take my advice on the matter.

You know, if you are not happy with my posts, there is a magic way to not having to read them. :D

Forethought is the keyword, after all.

Edited by sbell111

OK. Back to my question. Has anyone, ever, stopped you from enjoying micros?

If I rant for hours about the evils of vanilla ice cream, will that stop you from enjoying it? :D

Yes. At times some of the fun was taken out of it when someone who hates micros would find one I placed because he/ she had to obsessively clear out a region and would post some nastiness in a log entry.

If I offered you vanilla ice cream and you accepted it, then ranted for hours about the evils of vanilla ice cream, that would prevent me from enjoying my ice cream and your company.

I visit here far less than you do. As moderator you are here daily. Perhaps you have seen a trend away from that, but I have not. Whenever I start to hang out at these forums, I see the vocal micro haters. I remember many times folks stating they wish micros were banned.

Im just not smart enough to effectively use the search engine. I was only able to find a couple of posts in recent threads that I had read.

You're right. I think urban caches should be banned.

Link post 41

Was the poster writing with sarcasm? Hard for me to know. The reference is clearly meant to be micros in the context of the thread.

In this topic, the post about micros being the scourge of the earth was just a bit hostile, and is what prompted my post.

I love micros. I cache for the location, for the thrill of solving a puzzle, for the entertainment factor of finding something that someone else has hidden... for the buzz of finding that really challenging evil hide. I don't really care about the swag, so for me it's just a matter of finding the cache and SL. I'd love it if eclipse tins were just that smidgen bigger so they could hold a TB, then I'd be in caching heaven.

But why does anyone care what my favourite type of cache is? We all cache for our own reasons. This is a sport. If you don't want to play, don't. Go watch golf on telly or something...

Yes. At times some of the fun was taken out of it when someone who hates micros would find one I placed because he/ she had to obsessively clear out a region and would post some nastiness in a log entry.

If I offered you vanilla ice cream and you accepted it, then ranted for hours about the evils of vanilla ice cream, that would prevent me from enjoying my ice cream and your company.

Strange. I've never seriously considered allowing other people to dictate how much, or how little, I enjoyed a particular activity. :D

But to put the question more on topic, (which is not at all related to two people sitting together in an ice cream shoppe):

If you saw me posting anti-vanilla rants on the ice cream forums, would what I typed detract from your love of vanilla?

The point I was getting to is that I don't think people Like a particular type of cache. (That's Like with a capital L). People don't like micros any more than they like a large container. Things that people do like are things such as, a nice location, a scenic hike, a short walk when they don't want to go too far, a clever hide, things of that nature.

Very well put, I think, although I'd also add that some people also like the challenge of doing as many caches in a given time period as possible. Some enjoy any cache that lets them watch their find count add up. All are valid reasons to enjoy a cache.

I love micros. I cache for the location, for the thrill of solving a puzzle, for the entertainment factor of finding something that someone else has hidden... for the buzz of finding that really challenging evil hide. I don't really care about the swag, so for me it's just a matter of finding the cache and SL. I'd love it if eclipse tins were just that smidgen bigger so they could hold a TB, then I'd be in caching heaven.

But why does anyone care what my favourite type of cache is? We all cache for our own reasons. This is a sport. If you don't want to play, don't. Go watch golf on telly or something...

I agree with all of your preferences, even the smidgen bigger part. I'm just not sure that the fact that the container is a micro makes or breaks it for me.

Was the poster writing with sarcasm? Hard for me to know.

I think he was serious, however when I read that, it led me to believe that his complaint in that part of his post was not specific to micros, (though he acknowledges that those are the most common size in Urbania), and instead was primarily addressing property rights vs. permission issues. In fact, if you'll scroll down to this paragraph in the same post:

The cache types that take a person's interest are variable, but I swear, the majority of those that the "purists" think fit the original mold don't come close to making me chuckle the way the best of the urban micros do if for no other reason than the amount of thought that must go into some of them to hide them more or less "in plain sight". I'm amazed that after finding 1300 of the micro things out of 2000-some-odd caches, I still run across micros in some configuration or another that I haven't already seen -- to the extent that I still wind up DNFing them now and again because they've been done so well.

it certainly seems that he does not have any anti-micro agenda going.

Even if we do assume ecanderson is a closet micro-hater, and we assume that his post was a rant against them, the post you quoted mentioned that the phenomenon was rare, not non existent.

The point I was getting to is that I don't think people Like a particular type of cache. (That's Like with a capital L). People don't like micros any more than they like a large container. Things that people do like are things such as, a nice location, a scenic hike, a short walk when they don't want to go too far, a clever hide, things of that nature.

Very well put, I think, although I'd also add that some people also like the challenge of doing as many caches in a given time period as possible. Some enjoy any cache that lets them watch their find count add up. All are valid reasons to enjoy a cache.

Absolutely, and if you are someone who wants to the thrill of the discovery, the less information you know about the cache the better. I've heard of many people who start with nothing more than the coords, multies be damned.

Give me the ability to search for a cache that is not just about the size of the container.

This is a spin-off from another recent forum topic about micros. It has been suggested that people prefer to find micro caches.

Do you prefer to find (not hide) micros more then regular/large cache sizes? If so, why?

No, I don't prefer micros. The mere fact that I have more micros than any other in my Find stats is because so many people are hiding them instead of larger containers. Not sure if they hide them because they think it's fun, or because they're cheap. Nothing I hate more than a micro in the woods where there's plenty of cover for a much larger container.

[

Absolutely, and if you are someone who wants to the thrill of the discovery, the less information you know about the cache the better. I've heard of many people who start with nothing more than the coords, multies be damned.

I've been thinking about that lately. Back to the basics, even in the snow. Probably just now and then... I like candles now and then, but light bulbs are MUCH more useful on a regular basis, but yeah... that sounds like fun!
[

I've been thinking about that lately. Back to the basics, even in the snow. Probably just now and then... I like candles now and then, but light bulbs are MUCH more useful on a regular basis, but yeah... that sounds like fun!

Yep.

(taps fingers, looks round)

Never been my thing.

We have some evil puzzle hiders in our area... one is an architectural engineer, another was an engineer but got bored with that and became a doctor, and then a medical research scientist - so yeah, they can think up some pretty tough (but fun!) puzzles.

One of them has been out six months with quite a lot of us trying to solve the puzzle. The owner keeps feeding us clues but none of us have been able to make anything of them.

Finally a couple days ago, after working on it regularly for six months, after our caching community had all been sharing clues and ideas and trying to figure this thing out in our local forum, Artican has a brainstorm and makes a leap of logic that breaks the puzzle.

It's two a.m. and raining hard, a mid-December rain that's just on the verge of slush, when the coordinate checker says that he has struck gold. He has to go get that cache, and right now! No way can he sleep with those coords in hand, not when he knows how many of us want to be FTF. So he goes. His 60CSx had recently died so he's out there, adrenaline pumping in the cold early morning rain, with the Nuvi out of his car and rapidly dwindling flashlight batteries, when he makes the find. Woohoo! FTF on a real toughie!

But.

It's a film can.

He was thrilled to make the find, but judging by some of the choice words he used when he called to tell me about the find he would indeed have preferred that six months of effort had led to something better than a film can! :D

This is a spin-off from another recent forum topic about micros. It has been suggested that people prefer to find micro caches.

Do you prefer to find (not hide) micros more then regular/large cache sizes? If so, why?

Not all micros are alike. Clever hides, interesting camo, in a good spot is much different than a LPC in a commercial parking lot. Full size caches in nondescript woods with broken stuff under a pile of twigs is much different than a well stocked box near a waterfall at the end of a challenging puzzle.

I used to enjoy reading the logbook, but since many full size caches have logsheets, then why bother? A username is just a "handle" anyhow.

The secret graffitti artists strike again! :D

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

He was thrilled to make the find, but judging by some of the choice words he used when he called to tell me about the find he would indeed have preferred that six months of effort had led to something better than a film can! :mad:

I have your car towed all the way to your house and all you've got for me is lite beer?

:D

He was thrilled to make the find, but judging by some of the choice words he used when he called to tell me about the find he would indeed have preferred that six months of effort had led to something better than a film can! :mad:

I have your car towed all the way to your house and all you've got for me is lite beer?

:D

Solving a puzzle is doing the cache owner a favor? :mad:

No, I don't prefer micros. The mere fact that I have more micros than any other in my Find stats is because so many people are hiding them instead of larger containers.
Please explain how someone hiding a micro forces your find count to increment.

No, I don't prefer micros. The mere fact that I have more micros than any other in my Find stats is because so many people are hiding them instead of larger containers.

I'll translate this one for ya. He has a higher percentage of micro finds in his stats because there are a higher percentage of micros in his area. Yet though his ratio of micros to other sizes is higher, it doesn't necessarily mean that he prefers micros, it's more a reflection of what kinds of caches are available to him.

Because lots of us have the push/drive to get out and seek. If the only thing available is a micro, so be it. At least we get that 'hunt' aspect of the game, but it's not a full experience, especially if there's barely a hunt (e.g. LPC). A larger size cache and interesting hunt would be a more satisfying experience but if it has to be a lame micro, so be it.

Personally, the plethora of lame micros has forced me (in order to decrease frustrating caching experiences) to stop looking for micros, but when I find one that was listed as a small, you bet I'm going to log it. I'm going to log it in order to make a statement about being frustrated and irked that I drove 25 miles to a woodlot only to find a matchstick log-only micro container hanging in the hollow of a tree, where a larger swag-size cache would easily fit and that I was especially bothered that the cache was listed as a 'small'.

I'll translate this one for ya. He has a higher percentage of micro finds in his stats because there are a higher percentage of micros in his area. Yet though his ratio of micros to other sizes is higher, it doesn't necessarily mean that he prefers micros, it's more a reflection of what kinds of caches are available to him.

Well said. I don't know how anyone could obfuscate that clear translation but I'm pretty sure a couple of people will try. :D

Well said. I don't know how anyone could obfuscate that clear translation but I'm pretty sure a couple of people will try. :D
The problem with it is that it doesn't actually make sense.

If a person doesn't like micros, why would they bother searching for any, even if 90% of all local caches were micros?

I rather believe that most would take the tack of this wise cacher and simply filter out the micros:

Personally, the plethora of lame micros has forced me (in order to decrease frustrating caching experiences) to stop looking for micros
I bet that micros that are listed in his area do not cause his find count to increment. Edited by sbell111