Help Navi (I'm so close)

MysticTutor

I have a Navi 660. I followed the instructions someone posted here. It works great except when I'm looking at the POI and click the more button the description, logs and such are missing.

The instructions are on the 760. I called Garmin and was told neither the 660 or the 760 has that capabilities. Yet I can see that they do. Anybody gone paperless on a 660 and a Mac?

Edited by MysticTutor
I have a Navi 660. I followed the instructions someone posted here. It works great except when I'm looking at the POI and click the more button the description, logs and such are missing.

The instructions are on the 760. I called Garmin and was told neither the 660 or the 760 has that capabilities. Yet I can see that they do. Anybody gone paperless on a 660?

I have a 660. It works great.

In order to have description, hints and all that in a custom POI, you need a few things in addition to the Nuvi:

1. GSAK

2. The macro

3. A premium membership

4. Pocket queries (to populate GSAK)

If you have all the above, I can walk you through the whole process. If you don't have a premium account but want to see what it is like, you can create one by hand for a few geocaches.

1. GSAK

2. The macro

3. A premium membership

4. Pocket queries (to populate GSAK)

Looks like I forgot to mention the Mac part. Gsak doesn't have a Mac version. MacCaching is said to be the most similar, but doesn't seem to support the Navi.

The Macro? Another windows app?

And since you mention it. Do you need pocket queries. Can't you just download the gpx files one at a time IF you wanted to?

Looks like I forgot to mention the Mac part. Gsak doesn't have a Mac version. MacCaching is said to be the most similar, but doesn't seem to support the Navi.

The Macro? Another windows app?

And since you mention it. Do you need pocket queries. Can't you just download the gpx files one at a time IF you wanted to?

Wait - was it you whom I replied to in another thread about custom POI on the Mac? Hopefully someone would come up with a solution, but frankly I'm not optimistic.

The problem here is that Groundspeak's GPX format is different from Garmin's POI GPX format. I posted the basic structure of the GPX in another thread, but if you don't want to write your own XML converter, your only choice right now is to do it in GSAK on a PC. You can run GSAK in a virtual machine on your Mac.

A macro is a mini program you run within another application (in this case, GSAK).

Yes, you can download GPX one at a time. But it is painful. One difference (trivia time) is that you get 20 past logs (+ your own) by downloading it one at a time from the cache page, instead of 5 past logs in a PQ.

Nope. My first post about this.

As for converting. I'm a wise with html. If I had samples of each I'm sure I could do it by hand, but that sounds like more trouble then it's worth.

I guess I will stick with pen and paper for a while, but thanks for answering the one at a time question. I've been wandering about that.

Nope. My first post about this.

As for converting. I'm a wise with html. If I had samples of each I'm sure I could do it by hand, but that sounds like more trouble then it's worth.

I guess I will stick with pen and paper for a while, but thanks for answering the one at a time question. I've been wandering about that.

Sorry, memory wasn't what it used to be :laughing:

Here's the XML that I posted.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=4142236