why are there no geocache shops around here

cachehunny

ok why is it all the geocache shops are either on line or up north, why aren't there any down here in surrey , or are there , does anyone know , if you do could you please let me know, i like to actually , physically look at things before i buy them , call me old fashioned but that's just me ,

I also would like to know what's the most popular purchase amongst geocacers, is it clothing, gps, coins, travel bugs , what,

muttitt

Have you tried your local outdoors, or camping supplies stores? Those types of venues might have some geocaching products if the owner is familiar with the activity.

Remember too, that geocaching is a niche, and is not exactly a mainstream business opportunity. It would be very difficult for someone to open a geocaching store in the area unless there is a high demand for one.

If you do not have such a store near you, then I would suggest that you get together with other geocachers who may have the items you are looking for. Then you can physically see them before you decide to make your own purchase either online, or wherever.

"Geocaching shops"? :laughing: You mean, as in a store that specializes in geocaching stuff? I don't know of any that exist anywhere other than online. In our area, the REI stores do carry a small amount of geocaching-specific products, but I really don't see how a specialty store could make a go of it with only geocaching products.

Have you tried your local outdoors, or camping supplies stores? Those types of venues might have some geocaching products if the owner is familiar with the activity.

Remember too, that geocaching is a niche, and is not exactly a mainstream business opportunity. It would be very difficult for someone to open a geocaching store in the area unless there is a high demand for one.

If you do not have such a store near you, then I would suggest that you get together with other geocachers who may have the items you are looking for. Then you can physically see them before you decide to make your own purchase either online, or wherever.

hi heyjonathan

that's a very good point i hadn't actually thought of that , i have been to a couple of outdoor and camping activity outlets, but to no avail , they don't seem to stock any geocaching items so i'm guessing that you are right in so much as there isn't a high demand for such products, i must admit until i came across the article on geocaching in my dog magazine , i'd never heard of it either, strange as there seems to be loads of geocachers in places such as america and europe, but not so much in england

oh well i will follow up on your suggestion to source items from other geocachers that way , like you say i can look before i buy

Thankyou once again

muttitt

FYI: I am in the USA, in a pretty good-sized metropolitin area (Minneapolis/St Paul area). Ammo boxes, I buy at a sporting goods store that specializes in hunting and fishing gear. Lock 'n Lock containers, I used to get those from Wal-Mart, need to find a new source soon. Bison tubes... while I can get them at REI, they are much less expensive online. Geocoins and travel bugs... online. What exactly are you looking for?

I don't think there are any real-bricks-and-mortar shops in UK that stock geocaching specific items such as geocoins, travel bugs and official Groundspeak merchandise.

There are a couple of on-line suppliers, a few other individual who sell via Ebay and then a few other UK geocachers who intermittently design/produce geocoins during the year.

If you are able to attend the UK's 3rd Geocaching Mega Event in Perth, Scotland, in July, you'll be able to see a lot of geocaching items for sale... but that's a long way to go from Leatherhead if you only want a couple of TBs or a T shirt. :laughing: It will be a great event though, if you can make it. :laughing:

Get in touch with me through my profile if I can help you with more specific details regarding items you'd like to buy.

MrsB

Makes me realize just how lucky we are to have an online store based out of Victoria, BC. With just a phone call, we can arrange a visit to the "store" (the owners have a dedicated space in their home) and usually come away with more than we planned. Of course, this all depends on other commitments they have, but we always get together at some point.

Thanks to Chris and Helen, aka Landsharkz!

http://www.ukgeocachers.co.uk/

Is a real shop, but a long way from Surrey.

I realise that this is no help at all, but I just wanted to point out the existance of at least one real shop.

no this has been a lot of help , i spent a good half an hour on their site, i never realised there were so many products to do with geocaching, i know i'm getting money for xmas to go towards geocaching stuff so i will be stocking up and who knows after i've had a bit more experience of finding cache's i now know where to go when i hide my own, this store was fantastic in a way i'm glad i don't live close to it as i could quite easily spend loads of time and money there lol

thankyou very much for your help

Muttitt

I don't think there are any real-bricks-and-mortar shops in UK that stock geocaching specific items such as geocoins, travel bugs and official Groundspeak merchandise.

There are a couple of on-line suppliers, a few other individual who sell via Ebay and then a few other UK geocachers who intermittently design/produce geocoins during the year.

If you are able to attend the UK's 3rd Geocaching Mega Event in Perth, Scotland, in July, you'll be able to see a lot of geocaching items for sale... but that's a long way to go from Leatherhead if you only want a couple of TBs or a T shirt. :D It will be a great event though, if you can make it. :(

Get in touch with me through my profile if I can help you with more specific details regarding items you'd like to buy.

MrsB

hi Mrs B

funny you should mention the mega event next july as i have registered to be there, just got to find somewhere to stay with my two little children , hubby and one dog as i never go geocaching without my dog, so if you know of a good place to stay, i'd be really interested, and you never know we could bump into each other , i can't wait to go

thanks for your help

Muttitt