Questionable swag item.

Elderiss

Whether, your children should be educated, or not in the use of a condom is NOT the purpose of this discussion. Save that for the parenting forums please.

The bottom line is, unless you plan to have intercourse near a geocache, a condom is a completely inappropriate item for a family activity.

I once traded for a deck of cards, even though I had no intention of playing cards in the vicinity of the cache.

Come to think of it, I can count on one hand the number of trade items that I've ever used 'near a geocache'.

Edited by sbell111

Whether, your children should be educated, or not in the use of a condom is NOT the purpose of this discussion. Save that for the parenting forums please.

The bottom line is, unless you plan to have intercourse near a geocache, a condom is a completely inappropriate item for a family activity.

So... condom users should only be using them where they find them? That would make my near-daily trips to Wal-Mart much more interesting.

"Clean up on aisle 4, Health and Beauty Aids."

Oh what a fun topic for discussion.

First off, if a kid knows what a condom in a wrapper is, and what it looks like, it's probably time they know when to use one and how it works. If they have no clue what a condom looks like, what is the issue?

Then there is the obvious reasons to keep a condom with you when out in the wilderness. Oh yeah, you all know what I'm sayin', yes you do. Obviously a condom can be used to keep something small dry when it needs to be kept dry. You can keep matches in a condom, batteries, food, etc. You can put a condom over a badly injured and bleeding finger or toe to keep it clean. You have many uses for condoms. In fact, the military has a little known policy of pushing the troops to carry condoms to put over the end of their rifle to keep it clean. Many troops carry tampons too, because they can be used in an emergency to treat a bullet wound. Many military deaths have been avoided because of a simple tampon.

It's sad that people get all offended so easy by finding a simple item they only associate with one activity. An activity, I might add, that is one of the purest basic functions of the human body.

Condoms in a cache? Inappropiate.

What bittsen is true. We carried tampons in our flight suits when available. They were sent from home on a regular basis.

What universal set of rules are you using to determin what doesn't belong in a cache? Pancakes don't belong in a cache and nobody would complain if you just tossed it. However a high end Ka-Bar? Some of us think knives are perfectly good swag while others think not. Either way it's worth trading for.

Perhaps you could enlighten us by providing an example of one of these universal rules. We'll wait...

The guidelines do provide some specific examples of things that do not belong in a caches, so I suppose

the cache content guidelines could be considered a universal rule, but since everyone must use their

own judgment and common sense to interpret the guidelines, the universal quickly becomes the particular.

The universal really falls down when both of your examples are explicitly mentioned in the guidelines as

being inappropriate, yet you admit that "some of [you]" have decided KA-BAR knives are A-OK.

Even if we ignore the imaginary universal rules, you did manage to squeeze straw men, non-sequiturs,

situational ethics, circular logic, and a whiff of ad hominem into one short paragraph. That's some pretty

fine work for a Monday morning. I usually have to drink an entire pot of coffee before I can even hope to

make a self-defeating argument with such elegance. Well done, sir, well done.

Believe me, it could happen.

So... condom users should only be using them where they find them? That would make my near-daily trips to Wal-Mart much more interesting.

"Clean up on aisle 4, Health and Beauty Aids."

lmao.gif

It's nice you feel that way. I for one feel that children should be educated in survial methods and since the condom is featured in the book "how to keep your a** alive" as part of the survival pack, I'm thinking your off base with your "bottom line" thinking.

So bottom line, the condum has survival uses above and beyond an emergency boink near a cache.

It's nice you feel that way. I for one feel that children should be educated in survial methods and since the condom is featured in the book "how to keep your a** alive" as part of the survival pack, I'm thinking your off base with your "bottom line" thinking.

So bottom line, the condum has survival uses above and beyond aside from an emergency boink near a cache.

There, I fixed it for you.

~LOL~

I think it's funny how people see a condom and automatically think naughty thoughts, and then call everyone else a heathen.

Today while out geocaching I was lucky enough to pick a new FTF. While the new FTF was a great cache there was an item in the container that I found highly inappropriate. Inside was a new unused condom. Now a quick disclaimer. I am in now way a prude when it comes to the topic of sex and firmly believe that to each his own. That being said I cache with my 10 year old daughter and finding this in the cache irked me to no extent. So I quickly removed the item and threw it into a small trash bag I carry and left a note on the cache that I did enjoy finding it but will be putting that person on ignore for future caches since this seemed to be left by the owner.

Did I handle this properly? How would you handle it?

From the guidelines ... "Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages." To me, that would mean a condom is an inappropriate item. Perhaps others see it differently. I think I too would have removed it from the cache and left a trade.

DITTO!... Me too.. there are a lot of families that Cache and leaving a Condom seems inappropriate for me. I found a Cache with my daughter that was very 'near' an abandoned Tool Chest with several Adult 'toys' in it. Unfortunately she opened it before I got up to it, thinking it might be the Cache. Turned out we were on the wrong path (I didn't have a GPS at the time) I left a note for the CO that this 'paraphenaila was near the Cache and maybe someone with a truck would hopefully remove it. We were both pretty 'put off' by this discovery~

Today while out geocaching I was lucky enough to pick a new FTF. While the new FTF was a great cache there was an item in the container that I found highly inappropriate. Inside was a new unused condom. Now a quick disclaimer. I am in now way a prude when it comes to the topic of sex and firmly believe that to each his own. That being said I cache with my 10 year old daughter and finding this in the cache irked me to no extent. So I quickly removed the item and threw it into a small trash bag I carry and left a note on the cache that I did enjoy finding it but will be putting that person on ignore for future caches since this seemed to be left by the owner.

Did I handle this properly? How would you handle it?

From the guidelines ... "Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages." To me, that would mean a condom is an inappropriate item. Perhaps others see it differently. I think I too would have removed it from the cache and left a trade.

DITTO!... Me too.. there are a lot of families that Cache and leaving a Condom seems inappropriate for me. I found a Cache with my daughter that was very 'near' an abandoned Tool Chest with several Adult 'toys' in it. Unfortunately she opened it before I got up to it, thinking it might be the Cache. Turned out we were on the wrong path (I didn't have a GPS at the time) I left a note for the CO that this 'paraphenaila was near the Cache and maybe someone with a truck would hopefully remove it. We were both pretty 'put off' by this discovery~

1) That stuff wasn't in a cache.

2) That stuff is not an apples to apples comparison with a condom.

3) The condom wasn't left 'for you'.