Questionable swag item.

Elderiss

Today while out geocaching I was lucky enough to pick a new FTF. While the new FTF was a great cache there was an item in the container that I found highly inappropriate. Inside was a new unused condom. Now a quick disclaimer. I am in now way a prude when it comes to the topic of sex and firmly believe that to each his own. That being said I cache with my 10 year old daughter and finding this in the cache irked me to no extent. So I quickly removed the item and threw it into a small trash bag I carry and left a note on the cache that I did enjoy finding it but will be putting that person on ignore for future caches since this seemed to be left by the owner.

Did I handle this properly? How would you handle it?

Today while out geocaching I was lucky enough to pick a new FTF. While the new FTF was a great cache there was an item in the container that I found highly inappropriate. Inside was a new unused condom. Now a quick disclaimer. I am in now way a prude when it comes to the topic of sex and firmly believe that to each his own. That being said I cache with my 10 year old daughter and finding this in the cache irked me to no extent. So I quickly removed the item and threw it into a small trash bag I carry and left a note on the cache that I did enjoy finding it but will be putting that person on ignore for future caches since this seemed to be left by the owner.

What did you trade into the cache?

From the guidelines ... "Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages." To me, that would mean a condom is an inappropriate item. Perhaps others see it differently. I think I too would have removed it from the cache and left a trade.

Edited by cycler48
Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages."

In this promiscious era of STD's I would argue that it is very appropriate. Never to early to educate the youth.

Okayyy. In light of your OP and this follow up response, so why aren't you thanking the cache owner for the opportunity they gave you to discuss sex with your young daughter in the relaxed atmosphere of geocaching? It seems to me your words would have been more meaningful to your daughter at THAT moment while you're sharing quality time doing something you love than if you pulled her aside to give <ominous echo with fingers making quotations> THE TALK. </ominous echo with fingers making quotations> :angry:

I'm just sayin'..... :o

Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages."

In this promiscious era of STD's I would argue that it is very appropriate. Never to early to educate the youth.

Okayyy. In light of your OP and this follow up response, so why aren't you thanking the cache owner for the opportunity they gave you to discuss sex with your young daughter in the relaxed atmosphere of geocaching? It seems to me your words would have been more meaningful to your daughter at THAT moment while you're sharing quality time doing something you love than if you pulled her aside to give <ominous echo with fingers making quotations> THE TALK. </ominous echo with fingers making quotations> :lol:

I'm just sayin'..... :angry:

Doh! my bad. this isn't your thread. I mistook this as your thread for some reason....

Nevermind... :o

emily-litella.jpg

While I would guess that you are probably right that it was part of the original swag, just because you were the first geocacher to find the cache is no guarantee that you were the first person to find it. Not all muggled caches are stolen or destroyed.

To answer your most basic question though, that would certainly be inappropriate swag in my opinion, and I'm sure, in the opinions of all other cachers that I know.

Take the most drama-free solution. Trade it for something else and don't mention it in the log.

While I think that the reasons for condom use are very important and that these things should be discussed with your children, I'd rather not find them in a cache if given the choice. But better in the cache than lying on the ground near the cache in a post-usage state. Eww.

I say.......

If you truly do feel you need to remove the item then do so, but make sure you trade up or trade even.

My opinion is, now i am not assuming to know you, your family or your daughter, but from what i know of 10 year olds is that they are not even aware of what a condom is, does or looks like, especially if it is a single wrapped one. Most don't even care, if rummaging through a cache they are most likely to rummage right past a condom not blinking an eye and go right for the cool toy. I know that ok if i am going through a cache with my 10 year old cousin I might feel akward because I know what the item is and what it is for but children are different i doubt my cousin would be thinking the same way i am he could care less about the single wrapped condom, it means nothing to him it holds no stigma yet, he is more interested in the sweet bouncy ball in the cache. The only problem i would really see is if she were to ask you what is this? and you believe shes not ready for that talk, but that can be easily passed over wth a simple thats for adults i'll tell you someday or its nothing just leave it, oh look a toy!

I must also say this is not a blanket statement, this does not pertain to all 10 year olds.

Take the most drama-free solution. Trade it for something else and don't mention it in the log.

While I think that the reasons for condom use are very important and that these things should be discussed with your children, I'd rather not find them in a cache if given the choice. But better in the cache than lying on the ground near the cache in a post-usage state. Eww.

sorry miss read your reply forget this happened, not full of enough coffee yet.

Edited by lavender5215

Setting aside the appropriateness of this item:

Who here would actually TRUST a condom tossed into a random geocache? If a book of matches doesn't work, no big deal - if a condom doesn't work, we've got some serious issues. I'd rather take my chances with the store-bought variety, thanks.

Best advice yet.

Who here would actually TRUST a condom tossed into a random geocache? If a book of matches doesn't work, no big deal - if a condom doesn't work, we've got some serious issues. I'd rather take my chances with the store-bought variety, thanks.

Agree. Same thing about food. Other than it attracting wildlife and all, who'd be, erm, reckless enough to eat food found out in the wild?

As for the earlier facepalm-worthy suggestion by Walt Hunting, that's got to be a joke.

Oh what a fun topic for discussion.

First off, if a kid knows what a condom in a wrapper is, and what it looks like, it's probably time they know when to use one and how it works. If they have no clue what a condom looks like, what is the issue?

Then there is the obvious reasons to keep a condom with you when out in the wilderness. Oh yeah, you all know what I'm sayin', yes you do. Obviously a condom can be used to keep something small dry when it needs to be kept dry. You can keep matches in a condom, batteries, food, etc. You can put a condom over a badly injured and bleeding finger or toe to keep it clean. You have many uses for condoms. In fact, the military has a little known policy of pushing the troops to carry condoms to put over the end of their rifle to keep it clean. Many troops carry tampons too, because they can be used in an emergency to treat a bullet wound. Many military deaths have been avoided because of a simple tampon.

It's sad that people get all offended so easy by finding a simple item they only associate with one activity. An activity, I might add, that is one of the purest basic functions of the human body.

It's sad that people get all offended so easy by finding a simple item they only associate with one activity. An activity, I might add, that is one of the purest basic functions of the human body.

Geocaching is a basic bodily function? Interesting idea, but I can't argue with it.

In fact, I think I smell a new t-shirt.

My gosh, the irony from your various posts is just too uncanny for me. Actually, irony isn't the correct word.. maybe conflicted would be better.

Anyhoo.. not sure where I stand on finding a condom in a cache. I see both sides and also understand that a kid not knowing what one is wouldn't necessarily recognize one being pulled out. But just what if mommy and daddy aren't caching with sonny boy? Mmm.. that'd be a little more difficult to handle.

But one thing is for sure, a sealed condom is certainly better than what COULD have been in or near the cache.

My gosh, the irony from your various posts is just too uncanny for me. Actually, irony isn't the correct word.. maybe conflicted would be better.

Anyhoo.. not sure where I stand on finding a condom in a cache. I see both sides and also understand that a kid not knowing what one is wouldn't necessarily recognize one being pulled out. But just what if mommy and daddy aren't caching with sonny boy? Mmm.. that'd be a little more difficult to handle.

But one thing is for sure, a sealed condom is certainly better than what COULD have been in or near the cache.

Minimike2 covered that scenario just above.

Minimike2 covered that scenario just above.

Yeah yeah, I see that now. I must have been skimming instead of actually reading..

Oh what a fun topic for discussion.

First off, if a kid knows what a condom in a wrapper is, and what it looks like, it's probably time they know when to use one and how it works. If they have no clue what a condom looks like, what is the issue?

Then there is the obvious reasons to keep a condom with you when out in the wilderness. Oh yeah, you all know what I'm sayin', yes you do. Obviously a condom can be used to keep something small dry when it needs to be kept dry. You can keep matches in a condom, batteries, food, etc. You can put a condom over a badly injured and bleeding finger or toe to keep it clean. You have many uses for condoms. In fact, the military has a little known policy of pushing the troops to carry condoms to put over the end of their rifle to keep it clean. Many troops carry tampons too, because they can be used in an emergency to treat a bullet wound. Many military deaths have been avoided because of a simple tampon.

Love it! I'd add sealed tampons/pads to that argument too. I had a male friend once get a nose bleed...didn't have a tissue but guess what I had that he made good use of?

Wish I had a photo of that priceless moment though... :laughing:

Anyhoo...add me to the list of people who think this topic is much to do about nothing. As long as the item is unused, I fail to see the problem. Trade up, trade even, or leave it be in the cache.

Edited by ThePetersTrio

"How would you handle it?"

By doing what I thought was the right, responsible and mature thing to do in the particular circumstance.

Followed by not posting one single word about it in these forums.

OT

You would be doing a great service to yourself by not judging my posts based on another post I have made before.

There are, at last count, 347 of us who use this caching/forum posting handle. You never know which one of us is actually posting at any given time.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled de-programming.

There are, at last count, 347 of us who use this caching/forum posting handle. You never know which one of us is actually posting at any given time.

Health tip:

When you put your hand inside a sock puppet, you are shaking hands with every other person who has had their hand up in there. :laughing:

Health tip:

When you put your hand inside a sock puppet, you are shaking hands with every other person who has had their hand up in there. :laughing:

Funny story (and kind of on topic and related to the previous post!)

The eldest son and I had THE TALK this past year. When I got around to the subject of "protection" I used the only available visual aid I had available- a tube sock. I talked for about 15 minutes on this particular subject and only got a couple of blinks and a deer-in-headlights response. At the end of it his only words were...

"I will never look at a sock puppet the same way again."

Ever since then, when he gets a little too cheeky and full of himself I only have to threaten, "don't make me get a sock puppet."

Edited by Castle Mischief

What exactly do your tell your daughter when you walk by that section in the supermarket? Apparently you don't actually believe in to each his own, since you sprang into action and threw the condom away.

Ignoring that no way would I ever actually use one that came from a cache. I'd rather go buy them fresh from the local market. The same market where parents and their 10 year old kids may see me carrying a pack with my arms swinging wide or playing toss with the box while I wait for the bonnie lass I married to look at whatever she's looking at.

..."How would you handle it?"

By doing what I thought was the right, responsible and mature thing to do in the particular circumstance.

Followed by not posting one single word about it in these forums.

Ditto. I would have pulled it out of the cache myself. Mostly because it's crappy swag and the flavored variety attracts animals. Since I leave a foreign coin as my sig item, the trade is covered.

If it were unlubricated or flavored I might actually put it in my survival pack as was highly reccomended by a book reccomended in these forums. Since this kind actually is a survival item that was reccomended...that moves it into the ok swag department.

If it were unlubricated or flavored I might actually put it in my survival pack as was highly reccomended by a book reccomended in these forums. Since this kind actually is a survival item that was reccomended...that moves it into the ok swag department.

Ahhh, I think I get it. Chewing gum substitute eh? :)

:D:laughing::laughing:

They can be used as an emergency Tourniquet as well.

They can be used as an emergency Tourniquet as well.

And elastics for braces, I suppose. Only in an emergency, though, of course. Edited by knowschad

Geesh, hate to admit it, but I'm old enough to be one who was "issued" condoms for my weapon in the service. Kept rain and muck outta your barrel. You didn't need to take 'em off before firing.

Just now realized how awful it'd be gettin' shot by one though :laughing:

Some company's making a fortune now on black finger cots for the same purpose.

Anyway... We find a few in caches, along with firecrackers. (Heck, that would mean they'd have to READ the guidelines. WAY too time consuming.)

I may huff and rant a bit, then CJ tells me to have a smoke. She simply removes them and puts in some friendlier kid stuff.

Edited by cerberus1

Personally, I don't think it falls under the family-friendly guideline, and should come out of the cache.

OT

You would be doing a great service to yourself by not judging my posts based on another post I have made before.

Huh?! :laughing:
Personally, I don't think it falls under the family-friendly guideline, and should come out of the cache.

OT

Huh?! :laughing:

(Medication. Shhhhhh)

Now now, let's not be spreading rumors.

The medication was because, for some odd reason, the doctors thought that an otherwise healthy person with a BP as high as what I had was something to be concerned about. It's dropped now into the normal range so all is well. I tried to explain that this was normal for people from my planet but they were still concerned. Something about impending death or something like that.

You can speculate on the other 346 who post under this handle if you want to.

OT

Someone changed the password and I cant log in. :laughing:

The medication was because, for some odd reason, the doctors thought that an otherwise healthy person with a BP as high as what I had was something to be concerned about.

It's the forums, I tell you.

Nah, it was merely a dark matter mass between Venus and Earth. The orbit has proceeded enough that it's not a factor anymore.

I do not believe a condom in a cache is "family friendly" as per the guidelines.

I guess the test would be if the cache page listed the original cache contents, including a condom, would the reviewer approve it?

My daughter is 13, and she knows what a condom is. But I still don't think she would like to find one in a cache. When she finds a cache she gets really excited about checking what SWAG is there. We have gone caching with her 5 year old cousin, the 2 of them open the box excitedly like it is Christmas. The 5 year old won't know what it is, but I'm sure my daughter would find it awkward when her cousin asks her "what's that".

It's not a major issue; it won't scar her for life. But I don't think it is appropriate in a cache.

I would remove it, and email the CO.

condoms as well as certain female products have other uses other than intended use in the field.