found a geocache not on the site

ksohm

I found a cache (Trail Sign Cache - N45* 41.584 W79* 38.464) this weekend - with the help of my Dad as he was the one to find it and let me know about it. It was placed on Aug 5, 2009 and only on signature of the FTF. I know there are other geocaching sites, but has anyone heard about this geocache. It is in a great location and winter friendly. Is there a way to find if it was archived?

I found a cache (Trail Sign Cache - N45* 41.584 W79* 38.464) this weekend - with the help of my Dad as he was the one to find it and let me know about it. It was placed on Aug 5, 2009 and only on signature of the FTF. I know there are other geocaching sites, but has anyone heard about this geocache. It is in a great location and winter friendly. Is there a way to find if it was archived?

Well if the Moderator says it was never published, that tells me he probably can see it. :laughing: There are no Terracaches within at least 10 miles. This guy owns all the nearest caches (I quit counting at 8), so I think it's a pretty good chance it's a rejected and never published cache of his.

Thanks for the info. It is in a great location and well hdden, too bad.

What's unfortunate is that it's become litter.

In the last couple of years I've found 3 unpublished caches. They were all too close to another cache to be published and all 3 were left to rot rather then being picked up by the persons that placed them.

Thanks for the mention, but this is not my cache. Looking at the co-ords, this is placed in the location of another, now archived cache. It is a great location, and deserves one placed there. Perhaps it was placed during the archiving period, and didn't get published. I know the spot well, so will check it out over the holidays.

Edited by Mag Magician

It truly is a great place and close to the graveyard my grandparents are buried in. That is how my Dad found it when he was visiting about a month ago. I would love to make it cache find #41. But if it is archived too bad. All of the original cache contents are still in it I didn't take anything or leave anything, just signed the log. Who is the owner? (if anyone knows).

List it in your local forums. Finders can log a find there instead of on a cache page. The only difference is a smiley.

It truly is a great place and close to the graveyard my grandparents are buried in. That is how my Dad found it when he was visiting about a month ago. I would love to make it cache find #41. But if it is archived too bad. All of the original cache contents are still in it I didn't take anything or leave anything, just signed the log. Who is the owner? (if anyone knows).

MooseMob the Moderator is also a reviewer. He says the cache was never published. This tells me he can see it with his super secret reviewer powers. We've also had Mag Magician, the top cache placer in the area, say it wasn't his rejected cache. The closest Terracaches are in Parry Sound (1), and Algonquin (2). It's unlikely MooseMob is going to check this thread again, so perhaps CacheDrone, or one of the other Ontario reviewers can tell you what it was. The so-called FTF was probably a beta tester for the cache owner? We may never know there.

If it's that great of a spot, try to place a cache there yourself. Forget about this "taking over" stuff. Even if it was abandoned and left there after rejection, it's not yours to "take over". :)

If it's that great of a spot, try to place a cache there yourself. Forget about this "taking over" stuff. Even if it was abandoned and left there after rejection, it's not yours to "take over". :)

That's good advice. It is also why no reviewer has replied with further details above what Moose Mob provided.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I have contacted the cache owner and he said that he is too far away to maintain it and that I can adopt it. I will be putting the application through, once I have researched that it is on public land and get the coodinates of where we want it next time I am North. You helped a lot to understand this fun addiction that I am still fairly new at. I always have a question that needs to be answered! This one is solved, thanks.

Happy Caching! :lol: