Looking for a Texas cache...

Lost13th

Quantum Leap by Snoogans

I could very well be wrong. But this cache has Liar's Cache written all over it.

So what if it is. There is something to find there and I guess with 206 watchers there are more than a few that enjoy reading the logs/stories.

Let me prefix this by saying that I have mixed feelings about "outing" liar's caches. I think the concept is fun, and (if it really IS a liar's cache), Quantum Leap may well be the best. But that said, think about this: The OP is from Utah. Quantum Leap is in Texas. Would you want to drive from Utah to Texas only to discover that what you thought was going to be the geocaching adventure of a lifetime was actually anything but that?

Again... I don't know anything at all about Quantum Leap itself. I have never been there. For all I know, Snoogans really is a multi-billionaire that loves to send people on worldwide caching adventures (hey, what about ME, Snoogie, buddy?).

The OP is from Utah. Quantum Leap is in Texas. Would you want to drive from Utah to Texas only to discover that what you thought was going to be the geocaching adventure of a lifetime was actually anything but that?

That is an issue. I recall the story of some cachers who did make a long trip to find a liars cache and were not pleased when they found it.

Liars caches might be funny among the locals, but when people start booking flights, wasting gas and planning their caching time around them I'm sure they won't appreciate the joke.

The OP is from Utah. Quantum Leap is in Texas. Would you want to drive from Utah to Texas only to discover that what you thought was going to be the geocaching adventure of a lifetime was actually anything but that?

That is an issue. I recall the story of some cachers who did make a long trip to find a liars cache and were not pleased when they found it.

Liars caches might be funny among the locals, but when people start booking flights, wasting gas and planning their caching time around them I'm sure they won't appreciate the joke.

This cache is listed as a 5/5.

It seems to me that reading the cache page would be the greater issue here. Why would any sane person attempt such a cache or go to great expense to go there without first reading such a cache page given the terrain and difficulty?

Did anyone notice this passage on the cache page?

There are some EXPLICIT INSTRUCTIONS, at the "Dead Drop," That will make your preparations for your find MUCH easier. (If there is any confusion after reading these "Dead Drop" instructions, e-mail me with your phone number and I will call you back A.S.A.P. Likewise if you are coming form a great distance or need advice on preparations/accomodations.)

That appears to be a well covered arse to me.

Yes. The cache I think you're referring to was The Gauntlet (GCHZKB) in Wisconsin. My understanding is a group from Minnesota invested a fair bit of time and money on a trip to tackle it. The aftermath left a lot of unhappy feelings flying around in all directions.

A relevant thread in a local Minnesota forum can be found here.

Quantum Leap by Snoogans

I could very well be wrong. But this cache has Liar's Cache written all over it.

So what if it is. There is something to find there and I guess with 206 watchers there are more than a few that enjoy reading the logs/stories.

So what WHAT? We're not allowed to post now even if we're on topic?? :o:angry: The entire notion of a liar's cache to me is just mean.

Edited by bflentje

Yes. The cache I think you're referring to was The Gauntlet (GCHZKB) in Wisconsin. My understanding is a group from Minnesota invested a fair bit of time and money on a trip to tackle it. The aftermath left a lot of unhappy feelings flying around in all directions.

A relevant thread in a local Minnesota forum can be found here.

And just so we're all clear, which was muddled the last zillion times The Gauntlet was discussed, I was not involved at all in planning a trip. Although I admit it caught my attention as I AM a true cache adventure seeker. Had I put the effort into the planning and drove the 5 hours to the cache, I'd a been ticked big time. I have no problem with literary and artistic works, but having pleasure at this level at someone else's expense is just not nice.

Edited by bflentje

The entire notion of a liar's cache to me is just mean.

I know of a "liar's cache" cache that is listed as a very hard micro cache in the woods.

I understand that this type of micro cache is much maligned, but when you get there the cache is a 2 gallon screw top container, on a rope, at eye level, and painted dayglo orange.

There is a note in the lid to make up a story about your adventure to find such a hard cache.

My question to you is what's mean about that cache? It certainly sounds like fun to me.

I know of a "liar's cache" cache that is listed as a very hard micro cache in the woods.

I understand that this type of micro cache is much maligned, but when you get there the cache is a 2 gallon screw top container, on a rope, at eye level, and painted dayglo orange.

There is a note in the lid to make up a story about your adventure to find such a hard cache.

My question to you is what's mean about that cache? It certainly sounds like fun to me.

Good to hear from you Charles! :o

That one does sound fun; and unless someone really likes to find evil micros in the woods, it is harmless.

One which is made up to sound like a great high difficulty adventure, which turns out to be something easy and ordinary, can be mean - especially if people spend time and effort to travel there.

Liar's caches, generally speaking, are mean. Of course there may be the occasion where one might be harmless. Besides, ALRs are no longer allowed... :o

That one does sound fun; and unless someone really likes to find evil micros in the woods, it is harmless.

One which is made up to sound like a great high difficulty adventure, which turns out to be something easy and ordinary, can be mean - especially if people spend time and effort to travel there.

Perhaps you missed my earlier response that is listed as #7 here.

Now, I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer anymore, but I tend to read about things I'm interested in doing before I try to go do them. The fact might remain after reading that I feel I am not able to do such a thing and if I feel that I am able or might be able to do such a thing, I will seek more information before jumping in the deep end. This seems like common sense to me.

The owner of the cache in question has extended an offer of help to prepare for his 5/5 cache adventure. Who is to blame if the cache turns out to be as you say or if it's real and they show up unprepared if they didn't contact the owner first and seek help as it was offered?

I fail to understand how not doing due diligence for any high difficulty/terrain cache could possibly be the cache owner's fault. Can someone adequately explain to me how it could possibly be so?

The owner of the cache in question has extended an offer of help to prepare for his 5/5 cache adventure. Who is to blame if the cache turns out to be as you say or if it's real and they show up unprepared if they didn't contact the owner first and seek help as it was offered?

I fail to understand how not doing due diligence for any high difficulty/terrain cache could possibly be the cache owner's fault. Can someone adequately explain to me how it could possibly be so?

Because IN MY EXPERIENCE, 9 times out of 10, there is no obvious indication that it is a liar's cache, or an offer to "prepare" for doing a suspected liar's cache. One could agree or disagree with me all day about the meaness of a liar's cache. But your "due diligence" statement does not hold water (in most cases).

I stumbled upon a liar's cache up in Grand Rapids, MN while caching blindly this last fall. I opened up the cache and found the little cards.. "shhh.. this is what's called a liar's cache. In order to log this cache..." Ahh.. no. If you want to play along, fine. But I logged it like I would any other.

Agreed 100%. And part of planning their caching time should be engaging in a discussion with the cache owner. Once the CO of the Gauntlet decided to perpetuate the theme of their cache knowing full well it would cost out of town visitors substantial time and money, they crossed a line that shouldn't have been crossed. It's a shame as it seemed like a nice harmless gag, but they piled on too much with the out of state travelers. :)

Or one could argue that anyone who reads the stories of the varied adventures on the liar's cache page and still doesn't get it is due for a little awakening anyway. :laughing: just sayin'.... :laughing: